mtbr member
    May 2013

giant trancex4 2012 fork upgrade

hello everyone
    i saw previous posts quit similar to what I'm gonna ask but couldn't get a definitive answer. so sorry for bothering.
    well, i just bought that new bike and i think i need to upgrade the fork.
    i am not quit familiar yet with the technical aspects of all tons of fork i've seen across the web.
    ill make it simpler, lets say my top budget is around 350$ and i wanna 140mm fork. and i think i want an air fork(one that i put air in with a pressure pump)i think its better then the one i got with the bike in which i cant put air. right?
    i don't know about single or dual air(dual sounds better).
    in other threads about upgrading front forks for giant trance x4 i saw forum members suggesting the rockshox revelation series. but on the sram website i couldn't understand much.
    i saw two other brands mentioned:marzocchi and manitou but i got the impression rockshox was better and Fox too .
    any how i came across two deals :
    1-RockShox Revelation RL 26in Suspension Fork 150mm 1.5in 15mm Thru White @ 280$
    2- RockShox Revelation Race Dual Air Fork 140mm @ 340$
    so the question is :will it blend
    well kind of, my question is are they any good? which one is better and most important will they fit into my bike.

on bottom line; what is the best fork for the best price i can get for my bike .

any information would be much appreciated .

Class Clown
    What don't you like about your current fork?

In terms of compatability you need to make sure the steerer will fit your headtube (1.125", 1.5" tapered) and the axle fits your front hub (9mm QR, 15mm).

Dual air allows you to fill the negative air chamber seperately whereas solo air equals the pressure automatically.

I recommend either RLT or RCT3 compression damper.

mtbr member
    May 2013
    what i don't like about my current fork is that it feels a bit bumpy,like not really absorbing the shocks,
    like the difference between having a rear spring shock absorber and an air one.
    could you advice me of some precise models of forks in the budget of 350-450$ that would fit my bike,or the best one.
    in another forum someone told me about the RS sektor solo air(maybe the RL) which looks nice and affordable. what do you think about it?
    i think that RLT and RCT3 gets to expensive and brings me to almost the price of a trance x3.so not much worth it.
    thanks for the reply and information.

mtbr member
    What is your current fork?

Have you tried different springs or air pressure settings? ie "tune" the fork for your weight and riding style.
    Duct tape iz like teh Force. It has a Lite side and a Dark side and it holdz the Universe together.

Class Clown
    Is it an XC32? Like the good sir above said it could just need to be tuned properly. Does it feel too stiff or too soft? I had a similar fork I rode for years but it took a new spring and checking the oil level to get it setup right. So you might try that and also messing with the preload and rebound. Even a high end fork can ride terribly if not setup correctly.

If you are still determined to get a new fork I think the Revelation is a good choice. Sextor's are similar perhaps a little heavier and with less options. I know with the Rev you get dual flow rebound. You also get "tooled floodgate" with the RL (RLT has a dial), so you can adjust the floodgate with an allen wrench, so actually not a bad option. Once set I pretty much leave it anyway. You may not know what I'm talking about but compression and floodgate settings help to setup the fork properly.

Air is not necessarily better than coil but it's easily adjustable (and lighter, of course). Personally I have a solo air fork and I'm fine with the simplicity of pumping air into 1 valve. If you need more adjust-ability that's what dual air is for. Solo and dual air both have a positive and negative air chamber, solo fills them both equally through one valve while dual has 2 valves so you can set different pressures in each chamber.

mtbr member
    May 2013
    yes its a xc32tk.
    the information was very useful,
    any how im a bit limited on the fork budget so it predetermines a bit the level of the fork i can get,
    but from your description it seems that single air is good enough.
    i think that for now i'll try to mess a bit with the fork settings until i stumble upon a good deal for a fork.
    but let me rephrase my request;
    i recently i had a rear , (i think its called coil shock), it was better than not having one (or having a Hard tail bike) but you could still feel its action(the bump), now with a rear air shock i feel nothing, its just smooth and absorbing all shocks quietly.
    and i had the impression that i would get the same with a front air fork instead of the coil one i got now. and i want it to be also 140mm instead of 120mm.
    so im looking for the best 140 mm air fork i can get within the budget of 450$ that would fit my bike specs.

full specs:
    Sizes M,
    Colors Black/Blue
    Frame ALUXX SL-Grade Aluminum, 5" Maestro Suspension
    Fork RockShox XC32 TK Coil w/ OverDrive Steerer, 120mm Travel
    Shock Giant Air-R
    Components
    Handlebar Giant Connect, Low Rise 31.8
    Stem Giant Connect
    Seatpost Giant Connect, 30.9
    Saddle Giant Performance MTB
    Pedals Alloy Platform
    Drivetrain
    Shifters Shimano Alivio, 3x9 Speed
    Front Derailleur Shimano Alivio
    Rear Derailleur Shimano Deore
    Brakes Avid Elixir 1, [F] 180mm, [R] 160mm
    Brake Levers Avid Elixir 1
    Cassette SRAM PG 950 11x34, 9-Speed
    Chain Shimano HG-73
    Crankset Shimano M542, 22/32/44
    Bottom Bracket Shimano Press Fit
    Wheels
    Rims Giant S-XC2
    Hubs [F] Giant Tracker Sealed, [R] Giant Tracker Performance, 32h
    Spokes Stainless Steel
    Tires Schwalbe Nobby Nic, 26x2.25 Performance

Class Clown
    Might check this out as a possibility

Upgrade Possibilities? - RS Sektor R 2011 Solo 120mm

mtbr member
    May 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by dundundata View Post
    Might check this out as a possibility

Upgrade Possibilities? - RS Sektor R 2011 Solo 120mm
    i prefere new ones that fits the bike out of the box
    but from the responses here and other forums i got a better idea of what i need, so i think i'll just keep looking on the web and local shop for a good deal within my budget.
    and if i got it right i need a 140mm tapered fork for 26 inch tires with a 15 mm axle.
    and in a another forum some one mentioned:
    Hope HS136 tapered 1.5" to- 1 1/8" Reducer(crown)
    what do you think about it? is it as good as putting a tapered fork?
    cause it seems i'm less restricted in my choices with it.

mtbr member
    Dec 2010
    There's a good thread on this in the Giant forum if you search a bit. I've got a coil sektor on my 08 x1 that I really like.

mtbr member
    May 2013
    can i get a link..

mtbr member
    Dec 2010
    Fork recomendatons for trance x
    Here's one. Probably others too.

mtbr member
    May 2013
    i need some advices,
    i see many forks on the internet, some seems like good bargains,
    but i dont know exatly if they'll fit my bike.
    so what are the important characteristics i have to look at?
    first of all my bike is tapered, but im not sure about the size, are there many tapered sizes. and im not sure about mine, is it 1.5 - 1 1/8?. (is 1.5 - 1 1/8 the same as 1.5 - 1.125 in?)
    second, i saw i need to mind that i got a post mount brake system, so for compatibility, are all the post mount forks the same or do i have to mesure the legnght between the two holes?
    third, about my axle, im not quit sure about it, its written that its a 15mm and i got it with a quick release but changed it to secure bolts(anti theft), well i see there are 9mm 15mm 20mm and maxles and bolt Through and thru axle and QR and qr and whatever so what do i take for my bike?what do i check on characteristics?
    fourth, about the steerer tube length, i saw that i might need to cut it and thats ok but is there a chance it would be to short by default from the shop, cause then i think i got a problem..
    fifth, about the rotor size its written about the fork i saw that it has Max Rotor Size: 203 mm so how do i check this with my bike?
    Stanchion Diameter: 32 mm is it ok?
    and a noob question: when its written Spring Type air, it means i have to fill it with air wtih a pump(yes?), is it possible it will be both coil and air spring? what's better? right now i got a dual coil but i feel its a bit harsh,anyhow i want an air one, i think single air is fine.
    ok thats it for now.
    thanks in advance.

mtbr member
    May 2013
    i think i found a 140mm fork in my budget that would fit my bike:
    Amazon.com: Fox Racing Shox 32 Float 140 RL Black W/ Grey Logo, 1.5t, 9mm QR: Sports & Outdoors

its a Fox Racing Shox 32 Float 140 RL
    but i'm not 100% sure it'll match:
    - tapered 1.5 - 1.125 seems good but i discovered a new issue with the Giant's overdrive, on my frame it's written overdrive not overdrive2...is it a problem?are there any adaptors?according to giant's site it seems im ok>OverDrive 2 | Technology - Giant Bicycles / Bikes
    -about the 9mm QR i think that that's what i got since the default fork(xc32tk) only fits 9mmqr(as written on sram's site)and not 15mm as writen on giant's site(am i wrong?).[i have the simple thin axle.]
    -Axle To Crown isn't mentioned on amazon, should i mind it?
    is the Brake Compatibility: post mount the same in fox as in rockshox or do i need to get an adapter for my brakes?(avid elixir1)
    that's about it for the moment.
    thanks.