mtbr member
    Jun 2013

Giant Trance XO rear shock coil suggestions?

Hey lads,

Wanting to put on a coil rear shock on my 2012 Giant trance XO. trying to look for the closest fit but the smallest I can find is 7.50 x 2 in. I've looked around and seen that this can still work because this model came with 140 talas forks. My other concern is what spring weight I should get?
    I'm 187lbs/85kg and hang off the back a bit and love downhill. Realistically though I still ride XC.

Any suggestions on spring weight?
    Last edited by alfred.fetta; 06-22-2013 at 05:54 PM.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    [QUOTE=alfred.fetta;10485009]Hey lads,

Wanting to put on a coil rear shock on my 2012 Giant trance XO. trying to look for the closest fit but the smallest I can find is 7.50 x 2 in. I've looked around and seen that this can still work because this model came with 140 talas forks. My other concern is what spring weight I should get?

What length shock is the bike have now?

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    Its got a 7.25 x 1.75. But I've seen people fit a 7.50 x 2

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    I have a fox Dhx air 5.0 on my 09 trance. Works great

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 4 Beta

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    ah ok thats good to hear that it fits without wrecking the geometry feel of it. I want to find out what an ideal spring weight may be for a coil if anyone has an idea?

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by alfred.fetta View Post
    ah ok thats good to hear that it fits without wrecking the geometry feel of it. I want to find out what an ideal spring weight may be for a coil if anyone has an idea?
    There are spring rate calculators floating around the internet : Mountain Bike Spring Rate Calculator
    TF Tuned Shox - Spring Calculator

Might get you close but I have never made a single purchase and hit the rate... Usually end up w/ a few springs. As much as I like a coil for XC or trail riding it hard to beat a custom tuned air shock.

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    thanks

mtbr member
    Dec 2009
    Hey lads,

I'm 187lbs/85kg and hang off the back a bit and love downhill. Realistically though I still ride XC.

Any suggestions on spring weight?
    Why. What do you hope to achieve with a coil? Tx is not very progressive so not that suited to coil. It's perfect for air shock. Giant custom Fox boost valve shock tunes have been very soft on previous 26" tx. Just need to send in to change tune or swap it out.Maybe try current shock using different air volume spacers or air cans. If you want a more linear air shock swap to a large can Rt3 or Rc3. Pre boost valve fox is also more linear .I've used 7.7 x 2 on the tx 26" and it affected the leverage curve . Raised the leverage ratio to much at the start of the travel. Bobbed and blew through initial travel to easy.
    Last edited by gvs_nz; 06-25-2013 at 02:26 PM.

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by gvs_nz View Post
    Why. What do you hope to achieve with a coil? Tx is not very progressive so not that suited to coil. It's perfect for air shock. Giant custom Fox boost valve shock tunes have been very soft on previous 26" tx. Just need to send in to change tune or swap it out.Maybe try current shock using different air volume spacers or air cans. If you want a more linear air shock swap to a large can Rt3 or Rc3. Pre boost valve fox is also more linear .I've used 7.7 x 2 on the tx 26" and it affected the leverage curve . Raised the leverage ratio to much at the start of the travel. Bobbed and blew through initial travel to easy.
    Holy ****, I never knew all this stuff even existed. You've opened up a whole new door for me to explore. The reason i wanted a coil because of the downhill side of things. I find going fast over the bumpy stuff was good with low air pressure but bottom out bad on the big drops or jumps. And putting too much air in would make for a **** ride over bumps but good on drops. That should pretty much cover why I wanted a coil. in saying all this people would sugget a downhill bike but Can't afford that at the moment.
    I'll deff look more into these spacers though. If you have any suggestions to the kinda spacers good for that kinda of riding or air cans please feel free to place your input on it.

cheers

mtbr member
    Dec 2009
    Holy ****, I never knew all this stuff even existed. You've opened up a whole new door for me to explore. The reason i wanted a coil because of the downhill side of things. I find going fast over the bumpy stuff was good with low air pressure but bottom out bad on the big drops or jumps. And putting too much air in would make for a **** ride over bumps but good on drops. That should pretty much cover why I wanted a coil. in saying all this people would sugget a downhill bike but Can't afford that at the moment.
    I'll deff look more into these spacers though. If you have any suggestions to the kinda spacers good for that kinda of riding or air cans please feel free to place your input on it.

cheers
    i'd suggest adding volume spacers to reduce the vol. it will make it more progressive.That way you can run at a lower air pressure with out bottoming out so easy. Once again Giant shock tune will not help your situation.
    This is an example for the pre CTD shock . but same idea for CTD shock. Fox Tech service site also has info.

Tech Tuesday - How to Install a Fox Float Air-Volume Spacer - Pinkbike

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by gvs_nz View Post
    i'd suggest adding volume spacers to reduce the vol. it will make it more progressive.That way you can run at a lower air pressure with out bottoming out so easy. Once again Giant shock tune will not help your situation.
    This is an example for the pre CTD shock . but same idea for CTD shock. Fox Tech service site also has info.

Tech Tuesday - How to Install a Fox Float Air-Volume Spacer - Pinkbike
    Just ordered them. Do these reduce travel?

mtbr member
    Dec 2009
    No.

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    thanks

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Interested in what your thoughts are after you have sometime on the spacer kit. I have the same bike with then same issue and about to buy the kit.

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by ryansod View Post
    Interested in what your thoughts are after you have sometime on the spacer kit. I have the same bike with then same issue and about to buy the kit.
    Hey mate its a pretty big difference I think. can put in a lot less air pressure with out bottoming out. the problem i was facing was high air pressure for big stuff but i could never get the rebound to where i wanted without sacrificing something else. Now its pretty good because I can get both where I want. Might still look into a coil in future though

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by rschroeder714 View Post
    I have a fox Dhx air 5.0 on my 09 trance. Works great

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 4 Beta
    What size was the shock you put on?