mtbr member
    Apr 2011

Giant shock on 2011 Giant Trance X4???

I just bought a 2011 Giant Trance X4 and was wondering how good the Giant branded rear shock is? Would I see a big difference by upgrading to lets say a rockshox or fox?
    Last edited by eddievettelt1; 04-18-2011 at 08:18 PM.

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    Ive got the 2009 X4 with the Giant shock. Ive ridden it hard for a couple of years now and rate it as decent. Ive ridden some Giants with Fox RP23, RP2s and float Rs, and no the Giant is not up to the same standard. Its not as floaty and supple as those shocks. Whether its worth the upgrade is a personal choice. Ive found that the sag setting is crucial a very narrow "sweet spot". Its not very forgiving if you get it wrong, too little = way to stiff too much = bottoms easily. I think that describes the shock in a nutshell...it works but its a compromise in peformance vs cost. The fox's ive ridden seemed more forgiving in sag setup and were more progressive in their travel and more tuneable. The reacted better both on the small bumps and the big hits. I didnt think the "pro pedal" thing was anything to write home about, it seemed to make the bike feel worse...I ended up preferring it off. So I personally dont see spending the extra $ for that feature. (ive read the maestro already incorporates the same theory in its design so its unnecessary....just what ive read...?)

I would love to hear from someone that has made this upgrade as well. My handful of rides on fox equipped bikes wasnt enough to get me to drop the extra coin for a new fox or rock shox...not at retail prices anyway.

Hope this helps... please post if you decide to take the plunge.
    Last edited by zamdrang; 05-09-2011 at 08:21 AM.