mtbr member
    Jul 2009

Giant ATX 890 parts?

Hi. I am new to the forum, so please let me know if this needs to be posted elsewhere or if I have committed any breech of conduct here?

I purchased a used Giant ATX 890. The (Triple tree? Crown?) that clamps the top of the two front shocks is broken. The shop quotes an entire front fork, and more than the price of the bike. Any one have an idea where I can get new/used parts?

Thanks,
    Keith
    Delphilabs@msn.com

rebmem rbtm
    Apr 2007
    Fork brand?
    Fork model?
    Fork age?
    Some photos of the fork and the broken/damaged parts might also be useful.

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    I don't know what year the bike is. Maybe someone can tell from the number? GM486754. The forks are Marzocchi and they have 755A stamped on the inside. The frame is an Alcoa Cu-92. You can see the break in the photo. I am guessing this material can not be welded or braised as it is non-ferrous.

Thanks,
    Keith
    Attached Images Attached Images

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    looks to me like you need a new fork. you can usually get a dart 3 for around $150 but i will most likely mess with your head angle too much.

rebmem rbtm
    Apr 2007
    The bike sounds like it's a 1995 ATX: http://www.bikepedia.com/QuickBike/BikeSpecs.aspx?Year=1995&Brand=Giant&Model=ATX%20890&Type=bike

The fork is a Marzocchi EGS from the same year, here's one that was recently on ebay:
    http://cgi.ebay.com/VINTAGE-1-MARZOCCHI-EGS-FORK-FRONT-SUSPENSION_W0QQitemZ270419375099QQcmdZ

The fork didn't sell so maybe you could contact the seller if you still want to go down the repair path.

I'd say that you'd probably be better off getting a new fork.

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    Thanks Cobba, I emailed him - maybe I'll get lucky. Just in case - anyone else have an idea where to get parts for a 1995 ATX 890? I guess I am not a disposable type guy - I like to fix things...