mtbr member

Giant 890 ATX riser/bar mods.

This is an odd question, here it is. Back in 1996, I built a shiny new custom Tomac 890, but shortly after, I was no longer able to race, so it sat, shiny and new, in my garage, for 17 years. It is still like new with less than 50, gentle poser kms on it. My back has never fully recovered, but having said that, I am now a fit 58 year old...but 58. My back still won't take the extreme angle required to ride it any more. Here is the rub...I don't want to sell it, but my first attempt to mod it to a more geezer friendly angle met with doubt from my local bike shop. Keep in mind, I live in the boondocks, with only one bike shop for 100 kms. They seem quite switched on, but why would they quote me 300 bucks to change out my stem and bars? Does it really cost that much these daze? https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/-O...o/P1010298.JPG

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by rightcoast View Post
    This is an odd question, here it is. Back in 1996, I built a shiny new custom Tomac 890, but shortly after, I was no longer able to race, so it sat, shiny and new, in my garage, for 17 years. It is still like new with less than 50, gentle poser kms on it. My back has never fully recovered, but having said that, I am now a fit 58 year old...but 58. My back still won't take the extreme angle required to ride it any more. Here is the rub...I don't want to sell it, but my first attempt to mod it to a more geezer friendly angle met with doubt from my local bike shop. Keep in mind, I live in the boondocks, with only one bike shop for 100 kms. They seem quite switched on, but why would they quote me 300 bucks to change out my stem and bars? Does it really cost that much these daze? https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/-O...o/P1010298.JPG
    Bars and a stem might set you back $50-75 online. It looks like it has Hyd. rim brakes which might require lengthening the hoses... LBS might charge($50-100???) Also the derailleur cable might need lengthening as well. $300 seems a bit excessive.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by keen View Post
    Bars and a stem might set you back $50-75 online. It looks like it has Hyd. rim brakes which might require lengthening the hoses... LBS might charge($50-100???) Also the derailleur cable might need lengthening as well. $300 seems a bit excessive.
    Thanks so much for the prompt reply, I will ask them again why so much.

mtbr member
    Jun 2004
    Im thinkin gits all about the rim brakes. They may just not want to mess with them, and so are quoting you a higher price to kinda make you go away.

That said, a cheaper route would probally be a nice V brake set.

Plus are you going to ride this off road or just relax around the neighborhood? Cause that would kind of mean two different set ups.

Still beautiful bike.

bill

mtbr member
    Thanks Bill, my heart says 50-50 dirt/road...my body says 10 dirt 90 fire/country road. I wish there was a simple way to just get a tad more upright. Besides the need for longer lines, why should they be such an issue?
    Here is the whole setup...maybe you can glean a fix from these pics?
    https://plus.google.com/photos/11728...NHsgafavoe0wAE

mtbr member
    https://plus.google.com/photos/11728...NHsgafavoe0wAE The cure! I thought i would have to go higher, but the tech guy was pretty frosty, so I managed to keep my HS22 brakes :~)

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by rightcoast View Post
    Thanks Bill, my heart says 50-50 dirt/road...my body says 10 dirt 90 fire/country road. I wish there was a simple way to just get a tad more upright. Besides the need for longer lines, why should they be such an issue?
    Here is the whole setup...maybe you can glean a fix from these pics?
    https://plus.google.com/photos/11728...NHsgafavoe0wAE
    Whenever you alter the bar position the cable & hose placement changes. Based on your pic's the front brake hose looks like it could end up short. A stem w/ more rise wouldn't be an issue for rear cable / hose because it would go up w/ more set-back. Even with a hundred pictures installing new bars or a stem would require a physical fitment.

mtbr member
    I don't know if you saw the new pics of the new bar/stem riser, but it works like a charm without jeopardising the integrity of the cables :~) Anything higher, and the HS brakes would have to replaced with Y brakes or disk. I got lucky.