mtbr member

Freeride and the new Pike 160 - setup?

So... what are all you freeriders setting up your 160mm Pikes at?

I can't stand the spikey feel with tokens (for the 160mm version - BIG DIFF over the 150 or 140 so don't respond if you have a smaller fork; far different needs) - too harsh even for chunky trail riding (I go 175lbs geared). But I blow thru all the travel on jumps and drops over 4 feet at normal psi settings. I'm finding I need to go a good 10 psi more for FR use (to 80-85 psi) and then it rawks but I'm not really down with changing the air pressure every other ride so I was thinking about cutting a token in half! What's your setup? The mags all state that they raise the psi for jumps too - is that the only good way?

Have FUN!

G MAN

PS - I think I'm spoiled with a Lyrik and the firm coil spring in my other bike - works awesome for trail use with the LSC and HSC wide open and doesn't bottom for FR use either - best of both worlds!
    Last edited by Gman086; 08-01-2014 at 12:37 AM.
    "There's two shuttles, one to the top and one to the hospital" I LOVE this place!!!

Elitest thrill junkie
    Sounds like you meant to buy the Domain or Lyric?
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

You're turning black metallic.

mtbr member
    It's for a 650b, but yeah, probably should look at the Metric from X-Fusion! In fact that fork on a Nomad would be ideal for my needs and still be pedal friendly at under 30 lbs. May have to sell my Bronson frame and fork!

Cheers,

G
    "There's two shuttles, one to the top and one to the hospital" I LOVE this place!!!

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    Could go cheaper and grab a vengeance

mtbr member
    ^^ Yup, I'd forgotten they make a 650b version of that too. It's nearly 1.3 lbs heavier than my Pike tho! I'm starting to lean heavily towards getting a new Darskide for all of my FR/DH riding. Here in Oregon tho there's a lot of trails with a good mix of both FR and AM type riding where a Nomad is perfect but a Nomad isn't quite enough to really send at Whistler. Hopefully I'll get this new job and might just have to have all three!

Have FUN!

G MAN

mtbr member
    Dec 2009
    Vengeance doesn't have 650b offset, neither does Metric. Think they're both under 41mm if that matters.

Might have to get new 36 float for larger rubber clearance & offset.. or coil Pyrik write-up?!

mtbr member
    May 2013
    I just got back from a semi-freeriding trip to OR (rode Post Canyon, Hood River and others). I have a 160 Pike on my Carbine 275 and I was pretty happy with how it worked. I weigh 240 w/gear, running all 3 tokens, 75 psi, 0 LSC, 8 Reb. Using 95% plus of travel, but not bottoming out. Possibly you need to add some rebound damping?

I love how it feels with the tokens because the first 1/2 of the travel is really soft for smaller stuff, then it ramps up nicely for big hits, or when I land a jump a little too front-heavy.
    Last edited by Skelldify; 08-03-2014 at 11:36 AM.

mtbr member
    ^^ I'm gonna try the tokens again. Wasn't impressed the first go but the fork wasn't broken in at that point either and I think I was running too low of pressure. As for rebound damping, the high speed rebound is set by internal shims and not user-adjustable. Low speed rebound (that red knob) doesn't come into play for big landings.

Cheers,

G

mtbr member
    Well I was wrong about the tokens... they do the job. One token and no more bottoming at 20% sag (70 psi - right where I was for trail riding) = happy. It doesn't seem to negatively affect overall fork performance but I don't suggest running 25 or 30% sag like some are doing - that did not work for me as it just blew thru the travel and then got harsh as the progressive ramp up occurs at end of stroke. Pike works best at 20% sag (adjust LSC as needed) regardless of tokens or not.

Have FUN!

G MAN