mtbr member

Fox Volume Spacers WTF

I have an Ď18 fox performance dpx2 shock with a couple hours ride time on it. After setting sag , Iím bottoming it out on 4-5 foot jumps. I talked to Fox, who gave me the volume spacer part# 803-01-251 (float x kit). Hereís the kicker: Fox says they donít have that kit, and donít know when it will be in stock. The rep told me to look online. Everyone is backordered on it. This crap is going to drive me up a wall. Any suggestions before I ditch my Fox shock for something else? If anyone is wondering, Iím 200lbs.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mtbr member

mtbr member
    Jun 2014
    Nevermind, mine is for the DPS series

mtbr member

Fox Volume Spacers WTF

Quote Originally Posted by In2falling View Post
    Just because the website says itís in stock doesnít mean it actually is. Bikeparts says the same thing until you call them. On top of that, that distributor requires a wholesale account. Apparently it is harder than you think.

mtbr member
    Add air? Sag is a very, very, very crude and incomplete/improper way to adjust your suspension.

If you need the volume change, fine, but don't rely solely on sag to say that your pressures are "right".
    "Go soothingly in the grease mud, as there lurks the skid demon"

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by DethWshBkr View Post
    Add air? Sag is a very, very, very crude and incomplete/improper way to adjust your suspension.

If you need the volume change, fine, but don't rely solely on sag to say that your pressures are "right".
    Thatís a great point, and I did that until the fork was all around harsh. I really hoped it was going to be good enough out of the box. I spent a long time on the phone with Avalanche yesterday, and Iím going to have him tune it. Once Fox comes out with the Ď18 can replacements, Iím doing that also.

Coffee Drinker
    I modified a few volume spacers to fit the DPX2 damper shaft using a step drill.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Taildragger View Post
    I modified a few volume spacers to fit the DPX2 damper shaft using a step drill.
    Did you use the older style float spacers? Avalanche is starting me with a .6, but heís out of everything else except .95. I would definitely mod an old style one since it seems easy.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    What size do you need? I have a DPS Performance and have 0.6 and 0.4 volume spacers I am not using.

A main cycling has 0.4 an 0.2 DPS volume spacers (https://www.amaincycling.com/search?s=fox+volume+dps)

mtbr member
    good luck. I started a thread about this last month. 180lbs and was having the same issue with bottoming out. Every LBS and online store I went to that showed stock was out until November. Check out ebay. They seem to have a set or 2 pop up every other week, by bike shops cleaning out inventory. I ended up finding a compromise with increased psi that seems to be working for the time being.

mtbr member
    I got a response from fox this morning, and theyíre saying the same thing youíre seeing online. I will keep looking though

Ride Fast Take Chances :)
    You can use a thick grease to take up some of the space inside the air can. I pack under the stock bottom out washer at the top of the shock. Even if it gets out it will not hurt the shock. I ran this setup for years.

What? There's more?
    ^What he said; volume is volume. Grease or oil by their nature is more adjustable anyway.

The Fastest of Bananas
    Maybe 3D print some?

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by FastBanana View Post
    Maybe 3D print some?

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
    Thatís actually a great idea. I donít think the time involved in programming would be worth it. The entire kit is only $35. I have a guy getting them for me when he tunes the shock.

Coffee Drinker

spacer

Stock Float spacers on left, modified Float spacer on the right along with the stock DPX2 pink/purple spacer. I used a 1/2" step drill and an Exacto knife. The plastic is soft and easy to work.
    My DPX2 worked great at Snowshoe on a Bronson with this set up.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Fox Volume Spacers WTF-spacer_30.jpg  

Braaap
    Quote Originally Posted by In2falling View Post
    Here is your answer.

Any worth while shop will have a BTI account. That said, there is currently only one available.
    Dirt Merchant Bicycles
    Providing unrivaled support and unbeatable pricing on all cycling goods to riders near and far.

mtbr member
    May 2008
    lol. Fox releases their 2018 products, but they don't work without extra parts, and you can't get the extra parts until it's actually 2018. Brilliant marketing strategy.

I'm trying to buy a 32mm topcap socket for a 2018 Fox 36 so I can service my fork. Unavailable. See how the marketing strategy works as a cohesive whole?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by happyriding View Post
    lol. Fox releases their 2018 products, but they don't work without extra parts, and you can't get the extra parts until it's actually 2018. Brilliant marketing strategy.

I'm trying to buy a 32mm topcap socket for a 2018 Fox 36 so I can service my fork. Unavailable. See how the marketing strategy works as a cohesive whole?
    Yeah it's dumb. I installed a MRP ramp cartridge in my '18 fox 36 fork on Wednesday, and just used a regular 32mm socket. It worked fine and didn't mar or round anything. Is that the right way to do it? Nope.

I like the modifying of the older float spacers, I will do that if I need to adjust them more when the shock gets back from avalanche.

mtbr member since 1996
    Quote Originally Posted by alexbn921 View Post
    You can use a thick grease to take up some of the space inside the air can. I pack under the stock bottom out washer at the top of the shock. Even if it gets out it will not hurt the shock. I ran this setup for years.
    Good trick, does it matter what kind of grease? I have white lithium, EPX, and slickoleum. Slickoleum might not stay in place, while the white grease or EPX isn't very slippery and could add stiction if it gets onto the shaft.
    My Wife's Channel for Women - LadyMTB

Ride Fast Take Chances :)
    I used lithium heavy bearing grease. Slickoleum would be way too thin. The thicker the better it will stay in place.
    Making shit harder than it needs to be isn't awesome, it's just...harder.

mtbr member
    Jan 2014
    I used lithium heavy bearing grease. Slickoleum would be way too thin. The thicker the better it will stay in place.
    Thanks Alex!
    I've tried Slickoleum but it doesn't stay put. I'll try your grease suggestion.

mtbr member since 1996
    Thats what I was thinking. Plus I have a tub that is still 50% full after close to 20 years. I need to start finding more ways to use that stuff!
    My Wife's Channel for Women - LadyMTB

mtbr member
    May 2015
    I used bottom out bumpers i had lying around from old service kits. Just cut out a wedge and stick them in.

mtbr member
    Amain finally has the 803 01 250 kit. It only took 2 days for usps to get it to me.

Fox Volume Spacers WTF-20171122_191255.jpg

250lbs tried green spacer first, not enough difference so put the orange in.

mtbr member
    Pretty colors! The kit I got a couple of years ago was all black. I see the green fork spacers in the background. The older Fox 34 10cc spacers I have are yellow and the new ones I just got are green. The yellow are 234-04-950 and the green ...953. They appear identical otherwise.
    Do the math.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Lone Rager View Post
    Pretty colors! The kit I got a couple of years ago was all black. I see the green fork spacers in the background. The older Fox 34 10cc spacers I have are yellow and the new ones I just got are green. The yellow are 234-04-950 and the green ...953. They appear identical otherwise.
    How much do you weigh, what front and rear suspension do you have, and what spacers do you use?

I felt an immediate positive improvement when going from 1 to 3 on my front 2018 fox 34 rhythm fork. I've been hawking the online sites for a few weeks looking for the rear kit.

mtbr member
    Sep 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by happyriding View Post

What's particularly amusing about this is that injection-molded plastic accessories have the highest markup. Those spacers literally cost pennies to make. Pure profit!

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Lone Rager View Post
    The older Fox 34 10cc spacers I have are yellow and the new ones I just got are green. The yellow are 234-04-950 and the green ...953. They appear identical otherwise.
    They changed to prevent rattling in the stanchion.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by EricTheDood View Post
    What's particularly amusing about this is that injection-molded plastic accessories have the highest markup. Those spacers literally cost pennies to make. Pure profit!
    But they work so well! You gotta get em if you're a bigun.