mtbr member
    Sep 2010

Fox Vanilla RLC or Float RL 140s for all mountain Chameleon. (suspension noob)

Hey guys

I have very little experience with suspension forks. I ride BMX and so I have avoided bong bong bikes for a long time. All my experience is some old Manitou SX (3 weeks all on road) and my current 5 year old DJ3 (I just got them). I have ridden ridge off road though.

I am building a Santa Cruz Chameleon for all mountain at the moment. My LBS has Fox Shox sale at the moment. They have the FLOAT 32 RL 140 for 49,900 and Vanilla 32 RLC 140 for the same price. I was planning on buying the Float but I have been reading about the whole coil and air differences.

I want a fork with lockout that are smooth. I weight about 190lb (88kg) and planning on losing more as I ride more. The floats seem more customizable (without opening them) but the vanillas need to be opened. Which would be the smoothest on the trials?

If anyone with experience of riding them both could chime in, it would be great!

mbtr member
    The van is more customizable- high/low speed compression. You have to pull the spring to change the spring rate, but it's no biggie, you only do it once. It's also more plush- better damping tuning and fewer seals, although the float air spring is pretty good. Lockouts on mtb's are a little silly, it's not a bmx. Neither fork is stiff.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by scottzg
    The van is more customizable- high/low speed compression. You have to pull the spring to change the spring rate, but it's no biggie, you only do it once. It's also more plush- better damping tuning and fewer seals, although the float air spring is pretty good. Lockouts on mtb's are a little silly, it's not a bmx. Neither fork is stiff.
    Just because we ride an mtb doesnt mean we all ride offroad all the time. my big bike has no lock out which is fine as it's only used offroad and climbing is a sat down granny ring affair. However i've done some decent road miles on my AM bike recently(generally to and from or between trails) and lock out has been useful for standing and cranking.
    www.gravity-sports.co.uk

flash bikes for flash gits

www.derbyrims.com
    I've owned both. The Van 140 RLC is about 1/2 pound heavier, but much better spring rate having less dive and bob with "C" wide open (softest), and better damping control than a Float RL. I removed my OEM Float RL after two or three rides it was such a pogo ride no matter what I tried with pressure and rebound. They were flexier feeling than Rockshox and Manitou forks at that travel before 15mm axle became available. The flex difference may not be so much with 15mm axles.

mbtr member
    Quote Originally Posted by dipper
    Just because we ride an mtb doesnt mean we all ride offroad all the time. my big bike has no lock out which is fine as it's only used offroad and climbing is a sat down granny ring affair. However i've done some decent road miles on my AM bike recently(generally to and from or between trails) and lock out has been useful for standing and cranking.
    doing decent road miles on an AM bike standing and cranking is a little silly too, wouldn't you agree?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by scottzg
    doing decent road miles on an AM bike standing and cranking is a little silly too, wouldn't you agree?
    whys that then?

there's 2 alternatives.

1 - put the bike on the roof of the car and drive it to the trails(which is what I usually do to be honest) or
    2 - cycle to the trails on a road bike and get my wife to meet me at the trails with the AM bike. While she's at it she might as well 4X4 the DH bike to the top so i've got the appropriate set of wheels for comming down again

www.gravity-sports.co.uk

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    Derby thanks for you input.

[sarcasm]Dipper and Scottzg thanks [/sarcasm]

mtbr member
    glad to be of help

on a useful note, I'd prefer the van. the addition of the compression adjustment does help. There's nothing wrong with the float. they're light, easy to set up for different weights and if you dont like to fiddle with knobs will make a fine fork. For pure performance though it's the van RLC.
    www.gravity-sports.co.uk

mbtr member
    Quote Originally Posted by TheMajor
    Derby thanks for you input.

[sarcasm]Dipper and Scottzg thanks [/sarcasm]
    I apologize for sprinkling a little opinion in my advice. I would prefer the opinion of someone who is comparing a fork with a nonfunctioning damper too.

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    Okay, due to me being sent the wrong adaptors for my hope Pro 2 (order the QR but got the 9mm instead). I am thinking feck it and order the 15mm from else where adapter and get the Vanilla RLC 140 15QR for an extra 2,000 ($20).

(2,000 + 2,500 =) 4,500 for the the 15mm QR version, good deal I assume?

What happened to standardization?

mbtr member
    Quote Originally Posted by TheMajor
    (order the QR but got the 9mm instead). I

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    Yeah that is what I thought!

jrm
    mtbr member

Do it..

im using the 9mm RWS with a 32 TALAS and now im itching for a 36RC 20mm
    Wreck the malls with cows on Harleys