mtbr member
    Mar 2004

Fox Vanilla RL or Statos Helix Pro?

Hello,

I would like to outfit my bike with a sprint rear shock to replace Fox Float RC. I do need a lock out feature, hence two candidates: Fox Vanilla RL or Stratos Helix Pro.
    Stratos is air assist, which isn't clear to me what it does. I won;der which shock will weigh less.

Any info is greatly appreciated.
    Jenya

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Jenya
    Hello,

I would like to outfit my bike with a sprint rear shock to replace Fox Float RC. I do need a lock out feature, hence two candidates: Fox Vanilla RL or Stratos Helix Pro.
    Stratos is air assist, which isn't clear to me what it does. I won;der which shock will weigh less.

Any info is greatly appreciated.
    Jenya
    The Stratos uses air pressure prevent bottom out and works with the main spring. Hence, you can use a softer spring for your given weight. I don't think it is really recommended for heavy guys as too much air gives a harsh ride. Fox Vanilla R and RL don't have much compression damping, so in stock form I prefer the Stratos. Another option, which I choose, is to get a Fox Vanilla R and have it Pushed. No lockout needed.

mtbr member
    Mar 2004

weight

After doing a bit of research. I learnt that Stratos is 418g and Vanilla is 175g (w/o springs).
    How much do springs weigh? Can't be 240g, can they?

Jenya

mtbr member
    After doing a bit of research. I learnt that Stratos is 418g and Vanilla is 175g (w/o springs).

Jenya
    (600x1.63) A Fox 600lb spring by 1.63" stroke weights 224g.Although you being a girl will use a lighter spring, maybe a 500 on the Fox. I weight 160lbs.If you get the Helix maybe get the 450lb Progressive wound Stratos spring, the 550 I use would be to hard for you probably.Stratos should ask your weight and provide the right wt. spring to go with the air assist feature of the Helix.Fox has 1.5" of shaft stroke to the shock in a 6.5" i2i lenght, a Helix uses a lighter sping cause it also has the air assist you add like a air shock.I add around my body weight, 160lbs on a shock air pump. I think my Helix was 2 oz lighter than the vanilla.Mainly due to it using a lighter spring with the added air assist. My helix Expert has more shaft stoke than the Fox Van., something like 1.6", this .10"extra shaft stroke really is nice on my bike (more travel). The Helix Pro I think has the same as the Vannilla =1.5" because of the lockout feature on the Helix Pro. With the Helix shocks you can add a little bit more air if you are bottoming the shock out on hard jump landings, or you can add more air if you prefer a stiffer ride. With the Fox Van. you have to settle on one spring for ride sag and bottom out control (not as adjustable)
    Helix are nice! If concerned with weight why not get the Fox AVA sleeve for the float,is nice, would be the lightest,,

mtbr member

Jenya
    Yes, my Romic spring 450pounds weights about 300 grams ... it would be nice to have it in titanium. I used to have an helix pro and I liked it a lot but why don't you wait until the STRATOS TRX shock with inertia valve comes out? Look it up at: http://stratosusa.com/main.html if it works as well as the ID cartridge it would be something to get and it would definetely help the sprinting capabilities of your bike!
    Last edited by Davide; 10-04-2004 at 04:43 PM.