mtbr member

Fox Vanilla 125RL Changing Travel

I have a new Fox Vanilla 125RL, I'm trying to change the travel to 100mm but have a problem. On the left spring side I drained the oil and removed the spacers and the spring. Then you're supposed to turn the bottom nut near the dropout 6 times to unscrew it, the problem is the nut turns but doesn't unscrew. The negative spring guide and plunger shaft apparently won't come out unless that nut can unscrew. Am I screwed now?

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Eddie Mudster
    I have a new Fox Vanilla 125RL, I'm trying to change the travel to 100mm but have a problem. On the left spring side I drained the oil and removed the spacers and the spring. Then you're supposed to turn the bottom nut near the dropout 6 times to unscrew it, the problem is the nut turns but doesn't unscrew. The negative spring guide and plunger shaft apparently won't come out unless that nut can unscrew. Am I screwed now?
    It sounds like it is already unscrewed - try pulling the plunger shaft up by wiggling it gently. That screw is hollow - be careful not to snap it like i did - mine broke in 2 under very minimal torque and ended up costing my 200 bucks. Also when you are changing travel you can get 105 mm if you arrange the spacers the right way.

good luck

The Ancient One
    Quote Originally Posted by Eddie Mudster
    You need to compress the fork a little bit while turning the nut. Tighten your topcap down (finger tight will do) and with one hand compressing the fork, use the other hand to loosen the nut. Tighten the nut back on when you're done, using the same method.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve from JH
    You need to compress the fork a little bit while turning the nut. Tighten your topcap down (finger tight will do) and with one hand compressing the fork, use the other hand to loosen the nut. Tighten the nut back on when you're done, using the same method.
    That worked, thanks!