mtbr member
    Apr 2010

fox van rc2 180mm help with small bump

have the new 2013 van 180 travel, with about 20hrs on it, fixing to change the oil in the lowers for the first time and was woundering is there anything i can do to get more small bump compliance and keep the high speed setting the same, got good sag for my weight, just dont suck up the trail like i want... any info will be great.... still kinda new, but trying to learn all i can...thanks..

mtbr member
    Keep riding it and it should smooth out in another 5-15 hours. Definitely change the oil now though.

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    Make sure your low speed compression is set fairly wide open. Also, mess around with the preload. On my 160mm Van rc2, even though I am a trail rider, I run the preload pretty close to Fox's freeride suggestion. I run about 1.25 inch preload and it gives me great small bump compliance.

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    no preload, and got 35mm sag, on a 180 travel
    and lsc is wide open
    hsc is at 3 clicks in

might have to change the spring...

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    Yeah, I wonder about fox's spring ratings a bit. I have a the blue spring, which is rated for something like 150 - 200 lbs. I weigh 165, so 175-180 geared up and with full water. Even so, I run my 160 van only one click of preload. Might be worth checking out a lighter spring.

mtbr member
    Do all the springs come wrapped in the color for their weight setting? I just got a "green" spring but the wrap is black. Have not taken it out of the package yet. Label in the package says green.
    Sorry if this derails OP's thread.

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    all springs should have a heatshrink wrap around the top end about 4 inches long, the color will be a line down the spring, looks like some one took a sharpie and quickly run a line down the spring, so look down the spring while turning the spring around untill you find the color code on it...

mine came with 2 extra springs, green and purple with the blue one in...

i got the small bump where i like it with the blue spring but now i bottom out on medium drops... about 3 foot or so with the high compresion all the way in .... need more damper in the cart.... would like to have little more progressive damper....ramps up and i get closer to bottom out... is this something can be done?