mtbr member
    Oct 2012

fox talas steerer change out, is it possible

I am the lucky owner of a slightly used fox talas 100mm 130mm 160mm adjustable fork.

My wife was doing a great thing by helping me build the 07 yeti 575 I bought a little while ago.

but guess what the steerer is the 1.5 and will not fit, apparently I need the 1 1/8 and I am learning so when I first looked at it I thought awesome till I tried to place it in my head tube.

So should I trade it, have a new steerer installed if possible or what would be my best bet to do, just sell and get another??

Thanks guys

mtbr member
    Bummer.
    You can replace the steerer+crown+stanchions as a complete unit only, and it isn't cheap.
    Either trade or sell it and get another is probably your best financial bet.
    However, call FOX directly and get pricing on a replacement steerer and crown unit and see what you think.

mtbr member
    Dec 2011
    Cost from fox is anywhere from 175 - 250 depending on options...

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    thanks 575CA, I will talk after the holidays with fox and question them more.

I did find a rough set of talas 36 forks complete that has a 1 1/8 steerer cut at 200mm.

I think that may even work, my steerer is longer than that but is long enough that i will have to use sapacers to raise the bars or could cut it down.

On a 2007 medium yeti 575 does anyone know what length steer tube is recommended??

My forks are white but the rough set is black but that doesnt bother me, I can take care of that.

If the legs that go into the upper triple tree assembly can be removed I could just re use the triple tree from the rough set with the 1 1/8 steerer.

If anyone has that procedure saved or a good site to get that from, let me know I'm mechanical enough to do it but would like to see it done in photos or a video.

Thanks guys..

mtbr member
    If the fork is in good condition and you are cool adding $200 +/- to the "purchase" price, then a new steerer unit from Fox that will be the easiest way to go and you know you will be getting exactly what you need.
    You'd likely have a lot of work and an unknown timeline trying to resell or trade a 1.5 steerer fork and purchase another one.
    So, if the additional cash outlay isn't a problem, you have your solution from Fox.

mtbr member
    Dec 2011
    Yetis site has manuals with speca. Yeti has long headtubes, I was in a similiar search as you. Finding a ling enough 1 1/8 fork took me awhike to find. Everything used is mostly tapered

mtbr member
    Dec 2011
    here is a good deal on a new fork..there is also a discount code for more savings..
    Sale10 = 10%
    Holiday20=20%

Rock Shox Lyrik RC2L DP-Air 160 Fork 2011 White

banned
    Sep 2012
    What are the headtube specs on your frame? Maybe you can find an EC-type headset... or try something adventurous like modding your frame?

This was me modding my frame to accept a tapered fork:
    DIY Tapered Headtube Mod Project

-S