mtbr member

Fox Talas 36 tuning assistance

So I have been slowly tuning out my all-mountain bike to accommodate my trail-riding needs according to my weight. I'm a little thrown off by the Fox Talas 36 R tuning, which I didn't initially think would be an issue for me.

In sum, the manual for this shock says I should set it to 55 psi according to my weight (roughly 158 lbs geared up), from what I have read on the forums, Fox recommended PSI is not realistic and some people are pressurizing their forks down to 15-20 psi below recommended spec.

This last ride I lowered the psi from 50 to 45 which is the lowest recommended setting for this fork. I definitely was more fond of the plushness of the ride but my concern is that I'm not actually utilizing all the travel despite this decrease in pressure. There is no compression damper otherwise I would decrease the psi more and up the compression but I feel if I lower the psi any more the sag will be ridiculous (probably about 25% sag now w/ 45 psi).

What should I do? Or is this one of those finicky forks where I have to find a compromise between too much sag and full travel or "just right" sag and not utilizing the full travel.
    Last edited by Bemiller; 07-16-2013 at 04:41 PM.

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    Okay so I have a fox talas 36 I rode it for about a year with the talas system I was never able to get that plushness I really wanted. The fork would feel pretty nice after I servied it small bump would be much better, but still never really supple.. The fork climbed well .. That's because it would hold me up high in the travel and not bob due to the fact it had a lot of stiction.. So like you I would lower the pressure in the fork to get it more plush and Service it a lot!

Well I finally broke down and converted my fork to a float! And all I can say it WOW! This fork is great now so plush! I can actually feel the LSC when I use it! The fork can just soak up whatever I through at it! I would highly suggest this to anyone who has a talas that doesn't use there travel adjust.. It is a game changer. The parts cost me 100 from fox directly. It was very easy and straight forward. so if you do your normal service I would suggest you install yourself.

mtbr member
    That's a good call. Also, running 30% sag ain't the end of the world. Keep your rebound fast so you don't pack down. It's normal for forks not to use all of their travel. Rather, it happens all the time and is a normal complaint.

Good luck.

I would say the advantages of advanced dampers outweigh the travel adjust on Fox forks. That's for me, for sure, and my experience with a lot of folks.

mk
    trailwerkssuspension.com