Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Aug 2010

Fox Talas 36/160 Cartridge Replacement

I bought a 2012 Talas 36/160 some time ago and have never really liked the fork. Felt unresponsive and really sticky. Roll the clock forward and a week ago I installed the new 2014 cartridge in my fork. First thing I noticed was how different the two cartridges look...

https://picasaweb.google.com/1001880...90/TalasFork02

...old cart is on the left and the new is on the right.

Verdict?

The new 2014 cart feels amazing! Seriously if you've got an old Talas fork YOU NEED THE NEW CART. It is incredible and completey transforms the fork.

The only problem though, and it's a big one, is that my fork has gone from 160/120mm travel to around 140/100mm travel. What the? I have no idea why this would happen and would appreciate any help.

Anyone know if there's something I need to do to the cart to set it up right? It installed pretty easily and seemed straight forward. The only thing I did that could affect it was to add 40ml of 10wt oil as per instructions.

mtbr member
    Sorry, I can't answer your questions regarding the correct setup of the new cartridge, but I wanted to inquire where you bought the cartridge alone, as it seems like an interesting upgrade?

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by mordor View Post
    Sorry, I can't answer your questions regarding the correct setup of the new cartridge, but I wanted to inquire where you bought the cartridge alone, as it seems like an interesting upgrade?
    Just got it from my friendly Fox dealer. In AUS it's TBSM.

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by AlsTrance View Post
    The only problem though, and it's a big one, is that my fork has gone from 160/120mm travel to around 140/100mm travel. What the? I have no idea why this would happen and would appreciate any help.

Anyone know if there's something I need to do to the cart to set it up right? It installed pretty easily and seemed straight forward. The only thing I did that could affect it was to add 40ml of 10wt oil as per instructions.
    Sounds like you need to change the shuttle bumper in the bottom of the talas cartridge.

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by Rick Draper View Post
    Sounds like you need to change the shuttle bumper in the bottom of the talas cartridge.
    Sounds good. Any more detail on this one?

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    Here is a cutaway of the new cartridge. You can see where the shuttle bumpers and spacers are. I don't have any further information though.
    FOX Hits Back For 2014 - Pinkbike

mtbr member
    how much was your new cartridge?
    HuRa
    architecture and interior design
    website facebook

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    I just asked my LBS to do the very same thing for the same shock. Hoping it's not too expensive.

mtbr member
    Aug 2010

Quote Originally Posted by Rick Draper View Post
    Here is a cutaway of the new cartridge. You can see where the shuttle bumpers and spacers are. I don't have any further information though.
    FOX Hits Back For 2014 - Pinkbike
    Yeah I saw that but still not sure where the stops are on mine. Maybe I need to install some?

mtbr member
    Aug 2010

Quote Originally Posted by brankulo View Post
    how much was your new cartridge?
    $150ish AUD

mtbr member
    Aug 2010

Quote Originally Posted by smellurfingers View Post
    I just asked my LBS to do the very same thing for the same shock. Hoping it's not too expensive.
    Cool let me know how you go?

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    Yeah I saw that but still not sure where the stops are on mine. Maybe I need to install some?
    If you remove the top cap you should be able to see if there are spacers there.

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    If you remove the top cap you should be able to see if there are spacers there.
    There is a lower one as well at the bottom of the cartridge. You can see it in blue in that picture. IIRC the top ones adjust the amount of drop you get when adjusting the talas.

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    I don't see a blue spacer on the cartridge on the right.

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    I don't see a blue spacer on the cartridge on the right.
    You probably are not looking at the right picture then as it's clearly at the bottom of the talas cartridge.

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    Fox Talas 36/160 Cartridge Replacement-image_5.jpg

I see a blue piece on the cartridge on the left, but nothing on the cartridge on the right, which is the 2014 damper with the reduced travel issue.

mtbr member
    he is reffering to the image in the link he posted
    HuRa
    architecture and interior design
    website facebook

mtbr member
    Aug 2010

Guys, got it sorted! There was a black plastic insert at the bottom of the cart stanchion. It goes with the old 2012 cart and came out easily after removing a circlip. The new cart was getting restricted by it so I only had 140/100mm.

The fork now has the full 160/120mm and feels amazing. Seriously it feels like as smooth as a float! Fox have finally sorted the Talas and if you have an older fork you need to get hold of this cartridge! Now to get out and hit some trails.,.

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    Guys, got it sorted! There was a black plastic insert at the bottom of the cart stanchion. It goes with the old 2012 cart and came out easily after removing a circlip. The new cart was getting restricted by it so I only had 140/100mm.

The fork now has the full 160/120mm and feels amazing. Seriously it feels like as smooth as a float! Fox have finally sorted the Talas and if you have an older fork you need to get hold of this cartridge! Now to get out and hit some trails.,.
    Glad you got it sorted. What did it take to get it out? IS it a bottom out bumper? My new cart should be here tomorrow.

BTW, how much oil does the new cartridge require in the stanchion?

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    Glad you got it sorted. What did it take to get it out? IS it a bottom out bumper? My new cart should be here tomorrow.

BTW, how much oil does the new cartridge require in the stanchion?
    Once the lowers were off it was easy. As I said just remove a circlip holding in the plastic insert (could be a bottom out bumper but not really sure) and it comes out easily.

Forks take 40ml of 10wt fork oil in both sides.

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    Holysmokes what an improvement. This, sticky from day one fork, is like butter now. I'm running a reasonable amount of air without brake dive. The LSC damping on the RLC damper is now usable. Really nice air spring. I went with 30ml on the damper side and 15ml on the air spring per the Fox chart.

Thanks for the heads up on the bumper in the stanchion. I would have totally missed that.

mtbr member
    Aug 2010

Yeah I'm now wondering if I should change the rebound side as well. My 2012 Talas only has low speed compression and the new fork has low and high. Hmmm

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    I've heard good things about the R2C damper, but it's $300.

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    Hi guys, hope I can get some help in this thread since no one is reading this one.

Just like AlsTrance, I ride a Fox 36 TALAS R 2012. Unlike his, mine is buttery smooth but with another problem.

Let me explain a bit. It is very slick in its action (no sticky movements) but it has this weird initial travel, where you need a lot of force to let's say to compress it to some SAG levels. Totally opposite than let's say an RS fork which is very easy to push in the first few centimeters of travel. Everything else is great, I'm getting full travel, it rides pretty high in travel all the time, but this first 2-3cm need a lot of force. A lot more than let's say Floats 36 or new Pikes. Like it's a regressive curve (and not a progressive one) in the beginning travel..

It gives me "headaches" cause I feel that my front wheel deflects a lot more from small size rocks on the trail that aren't fixed to the ground (especially now that it's almost winter and the leaves are all over the ground covering these rocks). More than it should in my opinion.

Anyone with similar experience ? Can any of 2014 TALAS owners comment how they made the new TALAS spring ?

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by Vuco View Post
    Hi guys, hope I can get some help in this thread since no one is reading this one.

Just like AlsTrance, I ride a Fox 36 TALAS R 2012. Unlike his, mine is buttery smooth but with another problem.

Let me explain a bit. It is very slick in its action (no sticky movements) but it has this weird initial travel, where you need a lot of force to let's say to compress it to some SAG levels. Totally opposite than let's say an RS fork which is very easy to push in the first few centimeters of travel. Everything else is great, I'm getting full travel, it rides pretty high in travel all the time, but this first 2-3cm need a lot of force. A lot more than let's say Floats 36 or new Pikes. Like it's a regressive curve (and not a progressive one) in the beginning travel..

It gives me "headaches" cause I feel that my front wheel deflects a lot more from small size rocks on the trail that aren't fixed to the ground (especially now that it's almost winter and the leaves are all over the ground covering these rocks). More than it should in my opinion.

Anyone with similar experience ? Can any of 2014 TALAS owners comment how they made the new TALAS spring ?
    Yep sounds a lot like my old fork. What I had to do to get it to free up was to drop low-speed compression to 0 and use air pressure to account for the high end. Also might want to look at oil. If you have too much this could be an issue or, if you don't turn your bike upside down frequently enough the seals lose oil and get sticky.

Tbh you'd be better off spending $150-$160 and buying the new cartridge.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast