Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
    Off the back...
    The threads on the top cap were good - it's a brand new unit, totally clean. I greased the threads lightly before installing, and the first couple of turns went in smoothly. It's worth noting that the o-ring below the threaded portion was a snug fit, but did not require undue force to push into the top of the stanchion.
    I didn't pull the bottoms off the fork to do the install.* I fully compressed the fork, and it was only at that point that I could get the threaded portion to feed through the hole on the bottom of the fork leg so I could attach the foot nut.

Oh ****.
    [goes and measures fully extended fork, compares to fully extended TALAS V cartridge]

DEFINITELY the wrong part. The difference in length between the fork and the cartridge is 95mm. Totally missed that in my excitement to install the new unit. Once again, I am a cautionary tale. Sigh.

AlsTrance and Bogesund_rider, thanks for helping me work through this.

*The original [TALAS IV] cartridge can be extracted out the top of the fork by removing the air cap, travel change lever [remove two 1/16" hex-head screws], and then simply unscrewing the unit with a 32mm socket or wrench. The upper part of the cartridge comes out easily, and the lower part can be pushed out from below via the hole on the underside of the fork leg.

mtbr member
    May 2010
    Not so fast...

You wrote you didn't pull the bottoms off to install the new TALAS unit. That leads me to think you have not been able to remove the top-out bumper and seal head that sits in the bottom end of the inner leg. In the pic you posted these are the blue and black parts on the old lower half of the unit. I think it might be a good idea to read through this thread again thoroghly, as this is something especially me and AlsTrance has been discussing. My guess is that if you just pull off the lowers, remove the retainer ring ring at the bottom og the inner stanchion and takes out out the sealhead and top out bumper you might find the new Talas unit will actually fit.

As regards the length: I'm not sure I managed to clearly enough explain what parts I thought you should compare, so maybe you should just disregard that comment of mine, at least for now.

Off the back...
    I am 100% sure that the blue and black parts came out with the old cartridge, but I'll pull it all apart again to see if I missed something else. I need to change the dust wipers anyway...

Off the back...
    Here is what I'm seeing:
    New TALAS cart screwed in as far as it will go [everything else has been removed from the stanchion]

Side-by-side comparisons

mtbr member
    May 2010
    OK, it might be different on different forks.

I had to remove the sealhead and I think also the top-out bumper from below - in fact, I found it easier to remove also the lower air assembly as such from below (BTW, did you manage to get that out without removing the lowers?). Regardless of which, I concluded I also needed to remove the retainer ring / circlip at the inside of the bottom of the inner stanchion not to restrict the position of the new Talas unit - maybe that's the culprit?

Off the back...
    I was able to contact SuspensionWerx in Vancouver, and they were able to provide me with the correct part number: FX-820-01-340-KIT (TALAS-5 Assembly for 26" Fox TALAS 36 180 R and RC2). I emailed them those photos, and they say I have the 160 cartridge, not the 180. Back to the LBS it goes!

I had to pull the lowers to remove the black rubber thingy held in by the circlip. I tried the cart with and without it, and it didn't affect the install at all. Thanks for your help!

mtbr member
    May 2010
    OK, sounds like you're on the right track then. Too bad you didn't get the right stuff in the first place. I hope you get the correct unit soon - and hopefully you will still benefit from having removed the circlip and the black sealhead when you install that.

Good luck!

Off the back...
    Just wanted to close the loop on my TALAS tale.

Andrew from SuspensionWerx [huge props!] diagnosed the problem, ordered up the correct part and shipped it to me in one week. It took all of 5 minutes to install the cartridge this morning - it threaded in most of the way by hand and snugged up in perfect position. The rest of the fork went back together easy-peasy. Tested the travel and the adjustment - perfect.

For those that care, here is the difference between the OEM cart from 2012 [TALAS 4 on the right] and the new version [TALAS 5 on the left]:

mtbr member
    May 2010
    Good to hear it all went well! Now get out and enjoy your upgraded ride, it is quite a difference!

mtbr member
    Jul 2014
    Hi All,

I found this link on Fox's website which may be useful to anyone wanting to perform this install:
    FORK- TALAS 5: Adjusting Total Travel and Modifying Travel Adjustment Range | Bike Help Center | FOX
    It has fluid volumes which should answer some questions I've seen earlier.

I would like to ask those here who have already performed the install, did you use any Float fluid during the install? The instructions show it being used in the XV sleeve and I'm assuming the Float fluid came installed in the cart from Fox. Otherwise, no Float fluid is being used during the installation in the instructions, unlike previous versions of the TALAS cart where the Float fluid is installed in the stanchion.

Thanks

mtbr member
    Aug 2014
    Nice update)))
    And now I have one question which someone could answer....
    Can I make an update like this to my oldish Fox 36 with Talas revision 1 cartridge? This shouldn't be necessarily changed to Talas 5, I would be happy even with a older one))

mtbr member
    Jul 2014
    Follow this like to Fox's website: Bike Suspension Upgrades | FOX

Enter you fork info and it will tell you what upgrades are available to you. I have a talas 4 cartridge for sale if you want that .

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3