Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Jul 2006

fox TALAS 32 RLC vs RL

Does anyone have real life experience of both TALAS RLC and RL and would like to comment on their differences?
    how useful in REAL life is the low speed compression adjustment, especially for a 230 lbs clyde

emtb.pl

my $0.02

I have the '07 RLC for just over a year now.
    I'd buy the RL if it weren't OEM only. You can only get the R or RLC from your LBS where I live.
    I don't ever use the compression dial. Never. I just set the lockout force so that it works like a platform for 80% of riding and open the lockout for long downhills. For me the compression dial is only aggrivating because when the fork gets dirty, it moves together with the lockout lever.
    IMO - If you realy can buy the RL - go for it!

emtb.pl
    BTW:
    I weigh 200lbs and ride a SC BLT - aggressive XC/AM

LDH
    mtbr member
    the RL lockout lever can be used as a low-speed compression adjust or a lockout and can simulate the function of the C in the RLC.

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    so the low speed compression dial just gives you 8 distinct levels from, let's say 30%-100% of the available compression speed, whereas tha RL lockout lever gives from 0%-100% but in an analog way?

emtb.pl
    hm... I guess you can put it that way - both work the same way by slowing down the compression circuit.
    Some say the C dial in RLC lets you fine tune the compression but i'd say for a guy of my size the difference between the max and min compression in RLC is way to small.
    If I had the opportunity I'd go RL because it's annoying when L&C moves together.
    If the RL is cheaper (and it is for sure) I'd have no doubts. What is the $ difference for your selection?

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    I cannot really say about the $ dif
    it's the same model with some different components that I don't really care for plus the RL-RLC differrence amounts to 300 euro =450 $
    needless to say that after your feedback I'm going for the RL
    thanks

emtb.pl
    I realy do think it's $ that can be spent otherwise.
    greets

the 36 year old grom
    Quote Originally Posted by krolik
    I realy do think it's $ that can be spent otherwise.
    greets
    I actually bought a used 2007 talas RL. I have no idea what bike it came off. it works perfectly for me. I don't miss the compression adjustment at all, it replaced a 2006 Push tuned VanRLC.

but.... I've never noticed that the lockout lever does anything other then lock the fork out.

emtb.pl
    Quote Originally Posted by demo_slug
    but.... I've never noticed that the lockout lever does anything other then lock the fork out.
    For real now... You have the Lockout Force adjustment knob underneath the right leg, don't you??? If not, it might be knockt off by a rock or sth but you should have a sticker indicating it should be there!

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    did the compression adjustment on your 06 vanRLC have noticeable difference?
    the lockout lever supposedly acts as a compression adjustment if not on either end of it's travel, not totally open not totally closed. at least that's how I get it

emtb.pl

OOOOps!!!!

I've just taken a look at the charts and noticed the RL DOESN'T have the Lockout Adjust!!!
    I was pretty sure the only difference is the Compression adj but it seems the whole cartridge is different!
    p_bike, it is a different story then! Sorry to misslead you in this case! If theLO in the RL cannot be tuned, than it really is no option but to go to the RLC!
    I've seen a Heckler with a '07 talas that had no Compression dial but DID have the LO force adjust at the bottom. It must have been the RLC then with the dial removed?!
    Sorry again

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    is lockout adjust that important?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by p_cycle
    is lockout adjust that important?
    Its nice. You can leave the fork locked out all the time and adjust the point at which it opens. It stays locked until you hit something.

emtb.pl

matter of use

I find the LO force adjust very useful in terms of using the LO as a sort of a pedal platform.
    This is why I said the compression dial is of no use to me because I can get the same but in a way better range by using the lockout lever and adjusting the lockout force.
    As it seems that the RL doesn't have the lockout force adjustment, it is only going to lock the fork when going flat uphill. It probably has some safety feature that allows the fork to move if hit realy hard but it is no use as a platform. LO is a nice feature in racing or touring when you have long, non technical uphill (or short if you have the remote, but that's another story with fox). 'hard' lockout will not work good in slow, technical uphill though.
    My mistake - I was pretty sure the RL lacks only the Compression dial compared to RLC, but it appears it also doesn't have the LO adjustment.
    Sorry again for missleading.

the 36 year old grom
    Quote Originally Posted by krolik
    I find the LO force adjust very useful in terms of using the LO as a sort of a pedal platform.
    This is why I said the compression dial is of no use to me because I can get the same but in a way better range by using the lockout lever and adjusting the lockout force.
    As it seems that the RL doesn't have the lockout force adjustment, it is only going to lock the fork when going flat uphill. It probably has some safety feature that allows the fork to move if hit realy hard but it is no use as a platform. LO is a nice feature in racing or touring when you have long, non technical uphill (or short if you have the remote, but that's another story with fox). 'hard' lockout will not work good in slow, technical uphill though.
    My mistake - I was pretty sure the RL lacks only the Compression dial compared to RLC, but it appears it also doesn't have the LO adjustment.
    Sorry again for missleading.
    You are making a lot of mistakes on this tread..... but, I got to give you props for admitting it.

My RL does have a blow off. it's just not adjustible. In the past, when I had the pushed RLC, I used the "blow off" threshold knob to set a platform, but it makes a very annoying noise when the "blow off" opens. Push couldn't fix it, they tried. I just stoped using that feature. I don't miss it.

the 36 year old grom
    and just to add my 2 cents...
    for tech climbing the 3 position talas adjustment is the bomb. lockouts and SPV doesn't work so well for me on the techy climbs, I need the front tire to keep tracking and stay active. if I hit a loose rock I want the suspension to ride over the rock and not to start pushing it or roll me off line, or to keep the front tire from getting notched on a planted rock.

Your weight on a steep climb has transfered to the rear of the bike, which means that your front suspension already has less weight on it, so it is over sprung compared to when you set sag on flat ground. any lockout threshold or SPV needs to be set very very light to still activate with the reduced amount of weight on the front tire. talas is the bomb because it changes your geometry and gets more weight on your front tire, so your suspension can work. the travel decrease is instant with the flip of a lever and it does not increase your spring rate when you are in the lower travel.

If I'm doing a big stair step, I like the firm lock out because it helps me pump to lift the bike up and over the obstacle.

I also like the lockouts for them 5 mile fire road climbs.

YMMV, but talas was the best feature I ever put on my moto-lite for techy loose climbing.

emtb.pl
    That's unfortunately true.
    As I said, I have seen a '07 32 talas that had no compression ring but had the treshold adjustment under the right leg. As the RL is oem only where I live, I don't see them that much. That made me automaticly think of it as a RL. But it seems the guy just removed the compression ring, which I also did yesterday as it only aggrivates me. - yep, I could have looked at the sticker but didn't.
    As I said, the RL must have a safety feature and you confirmed that - treshold that you mentioned.
    I only state my opinion and experience and therefore I don't mind admitting when I'm wrong. And I obviously am here. I can only say I don't use the compression adj on mine as the range is way too small.
    Lucky for us all there is always few opinions in all forums that can be compared to get proper info and not brainfarts like mine here

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    demo slug, thanks for the input
    I just want to confirm, can the lockout lever simulate the low speed compression dial?

krolik your feedback has been great nevertheless, I wouldn't have figured out the use of the threshold knob otherwise

the 36 year old grom
    Quote Originally Posted by p_cycle
    demo slug, thanks for the input
    I just want to confirm, can the lockout lever simulate the low speed compression dial?
    I'm going to say no. you might be able to find one spot where it is "half on, half off". but, it is not a low speed compression adjustment.

and I'll tell you that the only thing the low speed adjustment on my RLC did for me was to create brake dive if I set it to low. for me, I always set it in the middle. so I don't need the adjustment. the RL is good hardware, fox doesn't make junk.

mtbr member
    Agree with Demo Slug. I have an 06 Talas RLC on my Stumpjumper FSR and an 07 Talas RL on my Gary Fisher hardtail. The latter was the best upgrade that bike has ever seen after I got spoiled with the RLC that came on the stumpy; I LOVE these forx.

They're both awesome products. The adjustable travel, as demo_slug mentioned, is the most used feature on both, followed by Rebound speed adjusment.

The lockout is great and a must-have for climbs, fire roads, etc.

Compression setting on my RLC - hardly every use it and still haven't noticed a big effect on ride performance when I tweak it. Setting the Rebound speed for springback is noticeable and also a must have. But on compression - either I set it to lock out, or put it in the middle and don't futz with it too much.

The little advertised, but previously mentioned threshold adjustment on the bottom of the right leg of the RLC is a very nice feature. let's say you use lockout for uphills, but hit a big dip or bump mid-way up. you want that fork to squish not stay locked, and you can tweak it on the RLC. On the RL, it will still blow over if you hit it hard while locked out, but you can't adjust. And it takes a big hit on the RL to make it blow over the lockout.

Net - if it's a big cost difference in the ones you find, buy the RL. For an extra $100 bucks I'd spend it for the RLC. Not sure I'd pay more than that for the difference in performance.

club très grand de VTT
    One thing to note is that on the RLC the threshold adjuster makes a difference to the plushness/compression circuit when the LO is in the off position ie you can feel a difference in the ride when the threshold knob is set to full/highest setting and say 2 clicks from full open.

I discovered when my 4 yo son had done some 'tweaking' on my behalf and checking it out on this forum.

More fork tuning fun.

Cheers,

P.
    "There are no hills on this trail. It's all flat." - Scott TDF Roberts

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    i too notice very little use for the compression. correct me if i am wrong, but i can barely notice a difference when i have the dial on max + vs. min -. almost worthless to me. thoughts?

club très grand de VTT
    matixsnow,

It may depend on your weight - I weigh around 155lb RTR and even one or two clicks makes a difference to me. Also, the LO threshold adjusted at the bottom of the right leg will have an impact on how the LS compression works (in addition to the LO of course) - if yours is currently set to full open, try and set it somewhere in the middle and see if that makes any difference to you.

Else, you may want a professional wrench to take a look at it.

Cheers,

P.
    "There are no hills on this trail. It's all flat." - Scott TDF Roberts

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    I have not heard of any correlation between the blowoff adjustment and the low speed compression. Anyone have any thoughts?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast