mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Fox steerer tube replacement

Can the steerer tube on a Fox F80RLT be removed and replaced with a new one? More specifically, have you had this done on yours? I've done it with older Marzocchi forks (I'm a machinist) using a hydraulic press very carefully and don't see why the same can't be done on a Fox fork. Has anyone here re-used a Fox steerer tube, swapping it from one fork to another?

Thanks,
    Dave

try to re member
    Nov 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by calgarydave
    Can the steerer tube on a Fox F80RLT be removed and replaced with a new one? More specifically, have you had this done on yours? I've done it with older Marzocchi forks (I'm a machinist) using a hydraulic press very carefully and don't see why the same can't be done on a Fox fork. Has anyone here re-used a Fox steerer tube, swapping it from one fork to another?

Thanks,
    Dave
    I had Fox do mine a couple months ago. Cost me $160 for a new crown and steerer, plus $60 for labor, which included a rebuild. Expensive, but oh-so-smooth after rebuild. They said the steerer can't be replaced individually. I believe it's a cryo fit.

I see no reason why you couldn't cut a steerer off a junk fork, and weld it to your existing steerer. You'd have to either turn down the weld so you could slide the bottom race over it, or just put the race on before you did the welding. As a machinist you should be able to align the new and old steerer tubes before welding.

I think there would be a market for this service. You could probably make a decent profit buying up new forks that had their steerer cut, from eBay. Then weld on a new steerer and resell them. The liability of that weld might be too high, though.

Dave
    www.davewilson.cc/Bike

Shortcutting Hikabiker
    Quote Originally Posted by dlwilson42
    II see no reason why you couldn't cut a steerer off a junk fork, and weld it to your existing steerer. You'd have to either turn down the weld so you could slide the bottom race over it, or just put the race on before you did the welding. As a machinist you should be able to align the new and old steerer tubes before welding.

I think there would be a market for this service. You could probably make a decent profit buying up new forks that had their steerer cut, from eBay. Then weld on a new steerer and resell them. The liability of that weld might be too high, though.

Dave
    www.davewilson.cc/Bike
    The steerers are aluminum and probably some sort of heat treated aluminum at that. So welding would be difficult. Oh and don't forget risks you would be taking riding on that.