mtbr member
    Aug 2008

Fox RP23 vs X-Fusion 02 HLR.. any opinions

Seen some good reviews on the Fox unit but not a lot on the X-Fusion (not including their old HL model), so I was wondering if anyone has had the pleasure of riding both and is willing to share an opinion.. Cheers..

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    I have run a couple X-Fusion shocks on my trail bike including the 02 PVA (earlier version to the 02 RCX) and currently run the Vector Air HLR. I have also run a number of Fox shocks including RP2, RP3, and RP23 (the RP23 was stock and then later tuned)

The 02 PVA and RP23 were pretty much on par overall. I found the damping on the RP23 to be good but not great. For me there was a small window of hitting the air pressure just right that produced a nice ride on the RP23. That said the range of settings where small. Get it set for harder hits and the small bumps were jarring. Set up softer to smooth out the small bumps and it seemed to wallow.
    the PVA felt more lively but not to the point where it took away from the ride. It was good but still left me wanted more from it.

The Vector Air HLR is a different shock again. Loads of adjustment options that allows for an exceptionally wide tuning range. You can still have it setup soft to eliminate the small bumps, provide a nice controlled middle range, and ramp up nicely without a harsh bottom out on the bigger hits. It has excellent damping, very controlled but still quite lively, no harsh bottom outs and smooths out the small bumps easily. Best shock (air or coil) I have used.

The additional of the piggy back and the extra adjustments is what allows the Vector shock to work so well and allow the rider to dial in his/her bike as they like. I did also run a Monarch Plus RC3. This has the piggy back but only has rebound and 3 low speed compression settings (like the PVA or RP23). I liked the RC3 and still have it, as I found it to preform better than the RP23 or the PVA, however it is sitting in my parts bin since I put the Vector AIr HLR on the bike.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Thanks for that..