Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Fox Rp23 setup

mtbr member

Fox Rp23 setup

Hi all,

New to the Forum so Hi......

I have just put a new RP23 on my Reign, and the Fox manual doesn't really give you an indication of the pressures to run; Just what sag to set it to.

I am 88kg and to get correct sag I have to put 250PSI in. Can anyone confirm that this sounds right.

i don't want to blow it.

Cheers,

Paste eater
    nope, doesn't sound right at all. You should get the correct sag on a RP23 with PSI ~(you body weight). You should set the shosck to open while setting up the shock. i.e. NO PROPEDAL.

When my shock was new, it took less than my bodyweight to get 25%. now that it's broken in, it's EXACTLY my body weight (in PSI). Keep in mind this will vary from bike to bike.

Nightriding rules SuperModerator
    As JWind said, usually your weight in psi is a good starting point, but the frame's design is the final word on this.

One more thing, this is the wrong Forum to place this question.. I suggest you over to the Let's Talk About Shocks Forum

EDIT: looks like Shiggy moved the thread from the Interbike forum to the right one
    Last edited by crisillo; 11-19-2006 at 02:07 PM.

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    Andyoz

Welcome to mtbr

Set it up based on the percentage sag Giant recommends. Nothing else matters.

Try posting in Giant Forum for confirmation (search first).

Cheers

Quote Originally Posted by Andyoz
    Hi all,

New to the Forum so Hi......

I have just put a new RP23 on my Reign, and the Fox manual doesn't really give you an indication of the pressures to run; Just what sag to set it to.

I am 88kg and to get correct sag I have to put 250PSI in. Can anyone confirm that this sounds right.

i don't want to blow it.

Cheers,

mtbr member
    May 2006
    This is the sag recommendation from Giants site. They don't seem to specify a particular shock, just the sag per bike model.

http://www.suspensionmadeharmonious...._up_guide.html

Maestro Sag Recommendations:
    Reign: 1/2" (12mm) O-ring movement
    Trance: 3/8" (9mm) O-ring movement
    Anthem: 1/4? (6mm) O-ring movement

mtbr member
    Thanks guys,

Yep, to get the 12mm sag I need 250PSI, if I put my body weight (200PSI) in it's too "sloppy".

I'll run it for a while and check.

Cheers

AJ

Paste eater
    Quote Originally Posted by Andyoz
    Thanks guys,

Yep, to get the 12mm sag I need 250PSI, if I put my body weight (200PSI) in it's too "sloppy".

I'll run it for a while and check.

Cheers

AJ

Are you sure that you have the propedal OFF while setting the sag? 250psi seem excessive no matter the bike/rider...

Gimme my MOJO!
    Quote Originally Posted by Jwind
    Are you sure that you have the propedal OFF while setting the sag? 250psi seem excessive no matter the bike/rider...
    Wouldnt seem excessive if he DOES weigh 250lbs.

mtbr member
    hi, Yep propedal off - i will double check settings tonight.

Cheers,

Saucy Size Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by Jwind
    nope, doesn't sound right at all. You should get the correct sag on a RP23 with PSI ~(you body weight).
    Not true! Frame design and leverage ratio has a lot to do with it too. I run about 220# fully loaded and my RP23 is pressurized to 275# on my Intense 6.6. It's even worse on my DHX-Air: 290# to get 30% sag.

p.
    Don't be that guy! Read the forum guidelines.

Paste eater
    Quote Originally Posted by Paul B
    Not true! Frame design and leverage ratio has a lot to do with it too. I run about 220# fully loaded and my RP23 is pressurized to 275# on my Intense 6.6. It's even worse on my DHX-Air: 290# to get 30% sag.

p.
    You quoted me out of context...

Quote Originally Posted by jwind
    Keep in mind this will vary from bike to bike.
    I was suggesting that is a good starting point. 250psi still seems like a bit much for a NEW RP23 and a rider 200lb rider.

Drinkin' the 29er KoolAid
    Also consider the possibility that your shock pump's gauge might be off in calibration.... I've seen that more than a few times.

Karl

mtbr member
    Hi All,

Thanks for the input. it would seem that the actual PSI is closer to about 210-220. i have abserved that when I remove the pump a fair bit of air escapes, which is why I have to pump up to 250 (to give final 220).

Anyway, the shock is great, love it.

Gimme my MOJO!
    No no no... When you remove the hose, what air you hear escaping is the air thats pressurised inside the hose itself. The check valve is at the pump body, right at the bottom of the piston. So when you pump to a certain amount of pressure, that pressure resides inside the shock body as well as the hose. When you read 250 as you are about to remove the hose, thats what you are getting inside the shock at the end of it.

Thats how its supposed to work anyway. With a proper working pump and hose and schraeder interface.

Tdub
    It has to depend on the frame....I have a Trance 2 with a Float R, which I think is now sold with a different fox and the sag recommendation is the same, but depends on the model of bike. I also own a Lev 3" and run considerably less psi in the RP23 to experience similar sag. It's a function of how the linkage and bike transfers weight within the suspension as to how much psi you run...body weight is a very general guideline IMO.
    [SIZE="3"]"What would life be if we had no courage to attempt anything?"-Vincent Van Gogh[/SIZE]

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    You guys running the super high pressures don't have something right... I have one on my Heckler (very high leverage ratio) and run 160-165psi and weigh 195. It's factory pushed, but my RL AVA ran about the same... This sets it to about 15mm give or take with the O-ring.

mtbr member

True But...

Quote Originally Posted by leleklegrunt
    No no no... When you remove the hose, what air you hear escaping is the air thats pressurised inside the hose itself. The check valve is at the pump body, right at the bottom of the piston. So when you pump to a certain amount of pressure, that pressure resides inside the shock body as well as the hose. When you read 250 as you are about to remove the hose, thats what you are getting inside the shock at the end of it.

Thats how its supposed to work anyway. With a proper working pump and hose and schraeder interface.
    if the pump is installed to check pressure and you like what you seethen just take it off you will be losing some shock air seeing as that is what entered the pump to read the pressure. Instead you have to give it a pump then let the air back down to where you want it, then it works as you stated earlier... Just my .02 worth
    - 2007 Giant Anthem 0 - 24.3lbs
    - 2000 Trek 8000 LT
    - 2006 Giant OCR Limited

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    When removing the pump the schraeder valve is closed by the time the air starts leaking out of the hose and pump.The indent that pushes open the valve is below the surface of the gasket in the pump chuck. When installing the pump you must compress the rubber gasket enough for the indent to push open the valve on the shock. When removing the pump the gasket should be still sealing until the indent is off the valve. Try this...slowly unscrew the pump until you hear it start to release air. Stop unscrewing at that point. The only air that should excape will be in the hose only. If the shock empties the indent pin in the pump chuck is too far torwards the surface if the gasket. You might have to mod the chuck to make it work properly. I have done this with mine as it is a POS. The guage is 10lbs off too. Not a big deal since repeatability is most important.

fnar fnar brrraaaaap
    Try this video on my blog- it explains everything you need to know about setting up the RP23 and its features

http://www.mountainbikingnewzealand....p23-setup-use/

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by Paul B
    Not true! Frame design and leverage ratio has a lot to do with it too.
    i'm ~180. pivot specs 30% sag. my RP23 is pushed. i run ~100psi!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by dookie View Post
    i'm ~180. pivot specs 30% sag. my RP23 is pushed. i run ~100psi!
    I weight 175 w/gear. Had to set mine to 200 PSI to prevent bottoming out on high speed drops. 35-40 mph floaters puts a lot if pressure on it.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by LB412 View Post
    I weight 175 w/gear. Had to set mine to 200 PSI to prevent bottoming out on high speed drops. 35-40 mph floaters puts a lot if pressure on it.
    If you have a Reign it has the high volume air can, if you switch to the low volume air can you will sove this problem.

mtbr member
    Are you speaking of the black dial with 1-3? That only functions when in propedal

No Stranger to danger....
    I have the 12 reign, it has the rp23, its a notoriously soft shock and often come from the factory out of sorts.
    I weigh 195, and i need to put at least 260+ in mine to stop it bottoming out even on 2-3 foot drops.

If the rider weighs below 170 its probably an ok shock, but its just to squishy, ive heard heaps of people say they need as much air in it as the can can take to get decent performance out of it and even then it bottoms out..

Imho, its just a piss weak shock, you only have to look at the giant forum to see the dislike and dramas people have with it on their reigns, every man and his dog is looking to upgrade it including me.

You can get it rebuilt, but id rather bin mine and get a real shock, its pretty poor form from fox, imo they have really let themselves down with the rp23.

So im with you OP i know exactly where you are coming from, cheers
    Dont ever let the truth get in the way of a funny story....

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Excellent information...

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast