mtbr member

Fox RP23 Remote Changer?

Is there some kid of mechanism out there that can be mounted on the handlebars or elsewhere that can change the setting on the rear shock to enable or disable propedle without reaching down?

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    I want one if you can get them!

mtbr member
    Why is reaching down such a problem?

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by ir12daveor
    Why is reaching down such a problem?
    If you have ever had locked out your folks and had pro pedal 3 on you rear shock and then found yourself speeding down a very rough track you will know why. There is no way that I would be messing about, losing balance and taking my hands off the bars.

But does it exist?

mtbr member
    I'm pretty sure it doesn't.

But I went from having handle bar mounted rock shox lockouts for front and back to the fox method, and to be honest I don't miss the handlebar mounts. I juts make sure I am open when it gets technical.

Come to think of it, I rarely close it in the first place. and thats the whole point of propedal, its not the end of the world if you forget. Wait till you get a chance and then flick it over. Front lockout is a different story.

mtbr member
    Jan 2007

Found this

I may try this using a rockshock lockout lever.

http://www.farkin.net/forums/showthread.php?t=149325

gnuH
    Quote Originally Posted by damianxp3
    I may try this using a rockshock lockout lever.

http://www.farkin.net/forums/showthread.php?t=149325
    Good idea using the shock valve, although having to partly dismantle the cable in order to check shock pressure would be a pain.

I toyed with the idea of replacing the lever with a cam/pulley and on my 575 could use the top shock mount for a cable stop. I've never worked out why Fox doesn't offer a remote.

mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    Anyone have an update on this?

Or any other links / ideas?

GAME ON!
    if you're crafty i suppose you could try something with a front shifter's 3 positions and replace the lever. but you have to be really crafty

don't try this at home
    Quote Originally Posted by saturnine
    if you're crafty i suppose you could try something with a front shifter's 3 positions and replace the lever. but you have to be really crafty
    i think there's a recent thread around here where someone rigged something like that up.
    will you rep me?

GAME ON!
    Quote Originally Posted by moschika
    i think there's a recent thread around here where someone rigged something like that up.
    i did it with a lockout, but i don't have an rp23 to try

mtbr member
    May 2006
    I have no need for such a device....

Basically when I get to the top of the hill, I flip the lever, extend the front fork, and check that the quick releases are tight, then I bomb the hill....

simple.

mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by kiwirider
    Good idea using the shock valve, although having to partly dismantle the cable in order to check shock pressure would be a pain.

I toyed with the idea of replacing the lever with a cam/pulley and on my 575 could use the top shock mount for a cable stop. I've never worked out why Fox doesn't offer a remote.

From the farkin link - any idea if the_duke1234 has refined his design any further?

Just off the top of my head I'm not too keen on butchering the shock valve. I'm thinking maybe a mounting bracket / tab to hang above or below the valve, could slip over the shock valve and be locked down with a nut ... hopefully thin enough that you could leave everything in place and still have enough threads left on the shock valve so that you could attach your shock pump.

Not sure what the cable path would look like thru the full travel of the platform lever with that though.

Might even be able to mount a bracket to reach over from the top shock mount?

edit - I just checked and a cable mount tab just underneath the air valve would give a straighter cable path than using the actual air valve itself.
    Last edited by G-out; 02-18-2010 at 06:35 PM.

mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    Has anyone tried anything on this?

I'm leaning towards trying something using a longer upper shock mount bolt on a Blur LT2 to anchor some sort of bracket and comng from the left side to reach the platform lever. Don't want to get messy with the air valve and the whole thing would tuck in tighter out of the way.

Anything better suited than the Pop Loc for the handle bar switch?

mtbr member
    Mar 2010

mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    Ummm .... where was the lighting director when this was shot?

Anyone got a clear idea? It appears to be some sort of bracket arm coming off the upper shock mount to anchor the cable or noodle? But it appears to be .... wrapped in black electrical tape or something?

Also, what is the black piece on the shock itself sandwiched between the red circular piece and the blue 3-position ProPedal dial? The ProPedal lever is supposed to be blue. Did he fashion his own lever ... or is this just another Fox model with a black lever?

Seems to be a cleaner design than drilling the schrader valve. And he at least put in washers at either end of the spring.

mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    Well .... I still haven't gotten around to putting something together. Not totally thrilled about having a giant PopLoc switcher sitting on top of my bars waiting to get trashed the next time I yard sale it.
    Since Sea Otter is coming up I think I'll wait another week or two and maybe Fox will have taken the hint and done the work for us.

mtbr member
    May 2008
    Did anyone notice the remote lockout on the 2011 Trek Top Fuel 9.8? I can't find a good picture of it to tell what shock it has. A friend of mine has a 2009 9.8 and it has has a RP23. I'm not sure about the 2011.

Anyone?

mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    Anything new on a remote for the RP23 Pro Pedal?

gnuH
    Quote Originally Posted by G-out
    Anything new on a remote for the RP23 Pro Pedal?
    Yes, the DW link. Now I can leave my RP23 open all the time.
    A green bird with a red body. We could look it up in a book. Or we could look up

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    eeees not a remote. but it eeeeees easier than having to blindly feel for that danged lever while climbing.

Fuel EX Propedal Knob Mod - Simplistic Solution

Personally, the trails I go on will transition from steep rock gardens to rutted climbs multiple times. When youre huffing and puffing, finding that lever in one fell swoop is worth its weight in gold.

mtbr member
    May 2007
    I just made one

Inspired by this thread linked somewhere above -

http://www.rotorburn.com/forums/show...Remote-Lockout

Made from

1 gear cable
    2 x cable knarps
    1 spring via a pen I stole from work
    1 weird valve thing that came with a bunch of air tool accessories I bought a few weeks ago. I'm not sure what it's supposed to be used for, but once drilled with the appropriate size holes, it works well as a cable stop. It threads nicely onto the shrader valve.
    1 RS poploc remote lever (lying in box of spares)

Install -

One cable knarp is cable tied to the rp23 lever. This works because the lever is wider in diameter at the end of the lever body.
    The other knarp is used as the cable end.
    The cable stop/weird valve thing can be rotated for best angle, and then locked in by careful routing and cable tieing of the gear cable.
    poploc lever is perfect for this task. The amount of cable movement and the fact that it locks make it ideal.

Reasons why it might not stay on the bike -

* There's a big chance that the cable will get snagged and rip the valve out of the shock. I'll try to see if I can somehow use a plastic shrader cap that will break off easily as part of the assembly. It probably won't stay on the bike otherwise.
    * Adjusting PSI in shock will now be a pain, not that I need to do this much anyway.
    Last edited by radiusq; 11-18-2010 at 02:13 AM.

nocturnal oblivion
    Quote Originally Posted by kiwirider
    Yes, the DW link. Now I can leave my RP23 open all the time.
    I was going to say get a Turner. So true.
    "...like sex with the trail." - Boe

Axa
    mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    Have anyone manage to fit a remote to a Float RPL?

Axa
    mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    ..or any other shock that have settings for Lockout, Propedal and Open.
    Or at least Lockout and Propedal.