mtbr member

fox rp23 7.875"x2" vs 7.875"x2.25"

Im looking to replace a rp2 with an rp23 and understand the eye to eye length but want to know what the 2" represents. I've seen it refrenced to a shaft measurement?
    My bike is speced out for a 2", but there is a great deal locally for a 2.25". Would that work? Thanks for the help

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by GR1822 View Post
    Im looking to replace a rp2 with an rp23 and understand the eye to eye length but want to know what the 2" represents. I've seen it refrenced to a shaft measurement?
    My bike is speced out for a 2", but there is a great deal locally for a 2.25". Would that work? Thanks for the help
    The 2" is the length of shock stroke. So a 7.875 shock can have either 2" or 2.25" of shaft travel. If the frame was designed for a 2.0 stroke shock, it is best to stick with that. Moving to a longer stoke can lead to the rear wheel or linkage bottoming out on the frame and causing lots of damage to the frame and most likely you.

mtbr member
    The 2nd lot of numbers the shock's stroke length. Putting a longer stroke shock on your bike is not always recommended. It can increase your rear travel, but may cause issues such as the rear wheel hitting the frame etc at full travel.
    What bike do you have?

mtbr member
    Thanks for the input guys. I have an '11 Giant Reign. I remember seeing an article about putting a longer travel shock on to increase the bikes travel, but I'm not willing to take that gamble. I'll keep looking for a 2"er.

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by GR1822 View Post
    Thanks for the input guys. I have an '11 Giant Reign. I remember seeing an article about putting a longer travel shock on to increase the bikes travel, but I'm not willing to take that gamble. I'll keep looking for a 2"er.
    You'll be fine doing that on a Reign. That's the size shock on the Reign X given it 6.75" of travel. I did the same to my Reign & it feels incredible.

I have since switch to another bike & I have this shock sitting around. PM if you are interested.

kneecap
    Dec 2003
    I have an 05, & an 08, both are the regular reign. I've changed both to the 2.25" travel shock, works well on both with the exception of slight contact with the lower swing link & the front derailleur at full compression when in the granny front chainring on a 9 speed setup.
    I'm always in the middle ring when charging down the mountain, so not an issue for me, but something to consider?

I do really like the extra rear travel though.

mtbr member
    You're really throwing away money replacing an RP2 with an RP3. Its the same shock, just more clicks of stuff you dont need.

Consider a coil, or a piggyback air shock. Thats a good bike, but it'll be transformed by a good shock. Even pushing your RP2 would be better than a stock RP23.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by One Pivot View Post
    You're really throwing away money replacing an RP2 with an RP3. Its the same shock, just more clicks of stuff you dont need.

Consider a coil, or a piggyback air shock. Thats a good bike, but it'll be transformed by a good shock. Even pushing your RP2 would be better than a stock RP23.
    Ineresting. I've looked into it more and lots of people have put the 2.25 on a reign with great success. Few have said they need to move their front derailer just a bit to make room, but no horror stories that Ive seen
    Now for the rp2 vs rp 23:
    Im a big guy at 275 plus gear, and ride XC to AM with only small drops of 2ft or less. I was loking to go to the RP23 to get a firmer propedal for climbing. A true lockout wouldbe ideal, but there is no such thing right?
    I have my rp2 at 290 lbs which gives me the reccomended sag (25 or 30% can't remember anymore). My understanding of a coil is no adjustment. Am I wrong in that thinking? Obviously I dont knowa whole lot about about suspension systems so I welcome any advice.

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    For weighing 275 I'd be looking into getting a coil shock.