mtbr member

Fox remote: Worth the $$$?

I am considering a new fox rear shock. I haven't had a shock that had an adjustment to be made on it before. I was wondering what people's thoughts were on whether or not it was really worth the extra money to have the remote on the handlebars and why/why not?

mtbr member

Yes, do it, will be the best upgrade you make. Also consider the double remote and drop in the fork remote cartridge (pretty easy and cheap). I have this setup on my tallboy LTc and love it. On lever controls ctd on both fork (2014 34 ctd) and shock (2014 float x ctd).
    Giant Team Bike & Bean-Marin Co., CA

https://www.facebook.com/GiantBikeandBean

mtbr member
    I have a lefty on my bike so no can do on the combination. Is it really that much of a PITA to change the shock by hand while riding?

Spring! Spring! Spring!
    Quote Originally Posted by mtbg33k View Post
    I have a lefty on my bike so no can do on the combination. Is it really that much of a PITA to change the shock by hand while riding?
    - depends on how far you have to go to reach the shock lever

- depends on how often you play with the thing (which, depending on the bike, may be more or less, some rear suspension designs "need" climb mode more than others)

If you're only flipping on/off a "climb mode" before/after significant hills and not playing with that thing like a 14 year old in the shower (sexist remark, I know) then I personally don't think it's worth having a remote. More to fail, more to maintain, more complexity overall.

If you're constantly flipping the thing around, or "every second counts" because you're a cat-1/pro XC racer, then it may be worth the cost.

It's not like a mech seatpost remote lever, they actually tend to get used quite frequently in regular riding by people that have them (gross generalization) and the whole grab-your-crotch-to-move-the-saddle move is really only comfortable for the people that ride MUNIs regularly (another gross generalization made for humor sake).

mtbr member
    I can honestly say I'll probably only hit it on the long climbs and then forget to change it back half the time. At least that's the way it goes with my fork. I can't say how many times I've been like, "Holy **** that section was way rougher than normal...uht oh...I'm locked out, no wonder." Thanks for the advice. Sounds like it would be a gimmick waste of money for me.

Spring! Spring! Spring!
    And THAT is why neither shock nor fork lock out on my bike. :-)

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 4

mtbr member
    I'm a big guy (about 250lbs with gear) so to be honest I need it. My bike is a bobbing champion otherwise. Before I had the lockout on my front fork it was almost pointless to get out of the saddle. I have had to make it part of my process before I start bombing downhill to do the fork bounce to make sure that thing is opened up.

Spring! Spring! Spring!
    understood.

I almost hate the advice, but dedicated "spinning" work could help make you a stronger and easier climber. It's a fact that the over-winter spin class I went to made a difference come spring, out on the trail.

Pedalling smoothly is something I learned when my main ride was a 6" travel FS w/o any lockout (think Marz 66 fork), but at least the bike was FSR style rear end (not a Specialized bike though) so it wasn't the climbing suckage that is the wrong bike without heavy damping or lockout on the shock.

mtbr member
    I hear ya! I used to mash when I first got the bike a long time ago in a galaxy far away. It didn't take very long to figure out I needed to change the way I rode.

mtbr member

I have the lock out on my rear susp and use it all the time. I am not a CAT 1 in any way, I completely suck and climbs and need the extra help of a lock out. It's just next to my grip and is so easy to flick when I need it. If I forget to release it after the first bump I basically just move one finger over and hit the button. It's way easier than my dropper post.
    I'm sick of all the Irish stereotypes, as soon as I finish this beer I"m punching someone

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    i have the CTD suspensions on my Rumblefish and really wished it came with the remotes but wont go as far as putting in money just to have them.. i think they help a lot(CLIMB) setting but then again, me,not using the feature (CTD) has, i think made my legs stronger.... i guess for the more steeper climbs that i am yet to encounter, itll (CLIMB setting) will come in handy.

oh btw, no way near CAT III even.. lol..
    2014 TREK FARLEY
    2013 TREK RUMBLEFISH PRO
    2012 TREK SUPERFLY AL ELITE

mtbr member
    I was reading about how the switch can control your seat and your shock at the same time. Which I thought was pretty damn cool. However, I have a throwback seatpost because I have a short inseam compared to my upper body. So I can't get a dropper post anyways.