totally clueless
    Jan 2004

Fox Forx Float 100mm conversion to 80mm

Does switching a Fox Forx 100 RL from 100mm to 80mm travel shorten the axle to crown height or just shorten the travel? I'm currently riding a 2003 Tomac Revolver with 80mm Manitou Skareb on the front. I'm looking for a stiffer fork with lockout and have a line on the slightly used Fox. It looks like the Fox measures nearly 1.75 inches longer from axle to crown than the Skareb as it's set now. Why is the Fox that much longer than the Skareb even though it's only 20mm more travel? And when looking for a new 80mm travel fork, will the axle to crown height vary from make to make enough that I need to worry about it?

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by CheeseHead
    Does switching a Fox Forx 100 RL from 100mm to 80mm travel shorten the axle to crown height or just shorten the travel? I'm currently riding a 2003 Tomac Revolver with 80mm Manitou Skareb on the front. I'm looking for a stiffer fork with lockout and have a line on the slightly used Fox. It looks like the Fox measures nearly 1.75 inches longer from axle to crown than the Skareb as it's set now. Why is the Fox that much longer than the Skareb even though it's only 20mm more travel? And when looking for a new 80mm travel fork, will the axle to crown height vary from make to make enough that I need to worry about it?
    I'm surprised you found the 100mm Float to be 1.75" taller than the Scarab, I thought they were about the same a-c at the same travel. Could the Fox a-c height be at 130mm travel?

And yes, AFAIK the a-c height reduces when you reduce travel (travel spacers just limit extension).

Variation - Maybe - Marzocchis might be almost an inch taller than a comparable Fox or Manitou, so a 105mm Marathon could be ~2" taller than your Skarab.

totally clueless
    Jan 2004
    The Fox is supposed to be at 100mm, I haven't taken it apart because I haven't bought it yet and wanted more info before diving in. But dropping the travel by 20mm will still leave the Fox at approx 1" taller than than the Skareb, if it is indeed set at 100mm. Is the Float 100 RL able to be set at 130mm travel?