mtbr member
    Oct 2013

Fox Fork/Shock Maintenance

I've heard that Fox suspension typically requires more maintenance than say Rockshox.

I've also heard that if the suspension isn't maintained it can be very costly for breakdown repairs, so I'm trying to guage as much as possible just how much more maintenance is necessary.

I have a Fox Float 32 fork and a Float CTD shock. Typically, I ride once-twice a week, sometimes three if I'm lucky. Do I ride hard? I think so but my typical terrain is more xc oriented with the occasional more techy trail thrown in. I have also been descending faster and trying to hit more jumps and dropoffs and generally ride the trails more agressive as I improve.

The bike is not even a year old at this point and still feels good to my untrained eye. What is a general timeframe for routine maintenance and what should I be watching for that would indicate maintenance is required?

Short-Change-Hero
    Normally with most bikes you should be maintaining the fork/shock and other parts on a seasonal basis. This can be extended if you do not ride hard but everything should be checked and lubed on a regular basis regardless.

Most companies give maintenance intervals in their documentation and I think that Fox and RS both require you do replace oil and what not every few months.
    Inbred 29r (Purple People Eater)
    HH Thumper (Blackheart)
    Bikes for Boobs F*ck Cancer! One too many, 6/24/13. Miss ya ma'.

mtbr member
    Fox recommends a service every 30 hours of riding. Sound excessive and it can probably be stretched out if the fork still seems to work fine, but the oil does get dirty and sludge may start to build on the inside if left without service for an extended period of time. Its good practice to try and service the fork according to Fox's recommendations. If you're pretty handy, it will take you around 45 minutes to an hour to do it yourself the first time. All you'd need is some shock oil, a seal kit, suspension specific grease (Buzzy's seems to be the industry standard these days) and the right tools. After a few times, it will take you around 30 minutes to do.

mtbr member
    Hi, similar question from me... Should the seals be replaced each time I replace the oil every 30 hours or only if they look worn? Thx!

mtbr member
    No need to replace seals unless they are leaking fluid externally or you find them to be packed with dirt when you do the service.
    Usually though, if fluid is getting out, dirt is getting in.
    Fox products perform optimally if you service them in the vicinity of the recommended intervals.
    There's a noticeable feel and performance difference in most Fox products that are serviced close to the intervals compared to ones that aren't.
    I ran my new 2014 140 Float 29er out to 50+ hours before I serviced it this AM. Right seal started leaking about 12 ride hours ago.
    Fork was noticeably less plush about 20 ride hours ago compared to how it felt after initial break in.
    Fluid was clear and volumes were correct in both legs, but the failed seal was letting dirt in.
    You can certainly ride past the recommended fork service intervals in less than severe conditions if you know what to look for as far as seal wear goes and if you know your oil volumes are correct.
    The 30 hr recommendation is a safe bet for most riders.
    Shock service is easy if you're just doing air sleeve service.
    Fox shocks can go longer than the forks for service intervals but the 80-100hr mark seems to be a good point for shocks in many riding conditions.
    Your experiences may vary, but you do need to service Fox products for optimal performance during their service life.

mtbr member

Fox Fork/Shock Maintenance

Very helpful comments, thank you, 11053!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    2008 Giant Trance X2....Just went over 6,000 miles without doing anything to the stock Fox RP2 shock. Same mileage on the F series fork with just a minor re build. Sent them to PUSH in November, came back much better than new. Now tuned to my weight. Hope to get a few more years out of them!