Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Fox Fork Remote Lock Out review

15K views 7 replies 5 participants last post by  excalibur1200 
#1 ·
It seems like there is no info on here about it, so I figured i would post my 2 cents.
I bought the kit to add to my Fox F29 RL that came on my Gary Fisher Rig. I run my Rig as a 1x9 as well as a single speed. So far i have only used it as a 1x9 with the remote installed. As a side note, I have used a Rock Shox Pop-lock adjust and liked it a lot, so I knew I wanted a remote, especially on a Single Speed.
The set up was fairly easy, just following the instruction on the Fox site. I didn't have to change any fluid, just loosen the top of the damper cartridge and replace the parts with the remote parts.
I initially installed the remote the way Fox shows it - on the right side with the lever and release on the top the the bar. I found it to be very awkward to reach my thumb up over the bar and pull the lever back to lock out the fork. The release paddle wasn't too bad in this position, but not that great either.
Round 2: I decided to increase the travel on the fork, since I could now run it plush and not bob when I stand. I also placed the lever on the left side of the bar, upside down, so that I could push the lever UP with my left thumb and release it with either my forefinger or my thumb under the bar. The lever is great in this position, and the release paddle position is better than pop-lock in my opinion. The only down side is that it would interfere with a front shifter, if I had one. I suppose it might work with Grip shift or Shimano Dual control levers, but not with trigger shifters. I hope this helps any one else considering this upgrade.

See less See more
#6 ·
uknathank said:
I called Fox today and they told me that in 2 months or so, the 2010 remote lockout (see their website) will be available as a kit to fit 2009 forks. for $250. So, just buy a new 2010 fork probably
I went to my LBS - had them order the "kit" from Fox, cost $150.

It wasn't really a kit - it was zip-lock baggies with all the parts needed. After seeing the 50+ small parts (maybe more like 30) than needed to be installed - I opted to pay the shop $20 to install the kit (definitely worth the money).

Works perfectly!

Next upgrade for my 2009 F29 may be the QR15 lowers.... I heard they can be bought for $200.

#7 ·
Fox lockout kit for 2010 f 32 RL 120

Lookin to convert my 2010 fox f 32 RL 120 to remote lockout. My LBS and fox don't offer much help (especially being in Canada). They claim a kit is not available but you guys have clearly had success. I'm on the verge of buying a new fork with remote lockout but would love to save the coin especially if a kits available. Any help would be awesome. Thanks

#8 ·
I just purchased a 09 F32 remote G2 geometry OE fork on ebay, the remote is very positive in action and easy to use, its for the left side of the handlebar it works great without any hindrance to the brake or shift levers. The cable routing is ok but a right side version would have been better in that regard. It's a little bulkier than I'd prefer but that's really a small point, it takes up approx 1/2" of handlebar space.
Would I recommend it? Yes I would.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.