Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 43
  1. #1
    LCW
    LCW is offline
    mtbr member
    Reputation: LCW's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    2,943

    Fox Float X CTD - who's tried one?

    Anyone buy a Float X CTD, or ride a demo bike that had one on?

    Curious as to how it feels and compares with a regular Float CTD.





    thnx
    2011 Yeti 575 - 2015 Fox Float 36 RC2 160 / Fox Float X - 30.6 lbs

  2. #2
    LCW
    LCW is offline
    mtbr member
    Reputation: LCW's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    2,943
    Bueller?
    2011 Yeti 575 - 2015 Fox Float 36 RC2 160 / Fox Float X - 30.6 lbs

  3. #3
    mtbr member
    Reputation: argibson's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    424

    Fox Float X CTD - who's tried one?

    First ride on the float x on my tallboy LTc today. Seems like I need to increase air pressure 10psi over what reg float ctd. Going to try another ride tomorrow to nail the sag, then hone in on rebound damping. So far good, but not dialed yet. Will update soon.
    Giant Team Bike & Bean-Marin Co., CA

    https://www.facebook.com/GiantBikeandBean

  4. #4
    mtbr member
    Reputation: argibson's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    424

    Fox Float X CTD - who's tried one?

    Adding 10psi over the reg ctd helped. Started in the middle of about 24 clicks of rebound adjust. Now about three clicks to the fast side of middle, prob around 9 out from full fast. I like it. Feels more plush in descend and trail. Climb seems firmer. Not a huge difference so far from the standard ctd, but having both the front and rear suspension both on a remote is really nice. Easy to go from DH to trail to climb etc really quick and safer than trying to reach down to the fork and shock.
    Giant Team Bike & Bean-Marin Co., CA

    https://www.facebook.com/GiantBikeandBean

  5. #5
    mtbr member
    Reputation: argibson's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    424

    Fox Float X CTD - who's tried one?

    Fox Float X CTD - who's tried one?-imageuploadedbytapatalk1374730216.423338.jpgFox Float X CTD - who's tried one?-imageuploadedbytapatalk1374730226.849178.jpgFox Float X CTD - who's tried one?-imageuploadedbytapatalk1374730235.446223.jpg
    Giant Team Bike & Bean-Marin Co., CA

    https://www.facebook.com/GiantBikeandBean

  6. #6
    Dropshot
    Reputation: lbatch@me.com's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Posts
    29
    Quote Originally Posted by LCW View Post
    Anyone buy a Float X CTD, or ride a demo bike that had one on?

    Curious as to how it feels and compares with a regular Float CTD.








    thnx
    I have the factory float ctd with boost valve on a Specialized Camber Comp Carbon, and the factory float x ctd on a Giant Trance Advanced SX.

    Both are 2014 shocks. There is no comparison. I have had no difficulty setting up the float but the float x has 25 to 30% sag and blows through the travel regardless of how much air pressure I run. I am running 230 lbs ( weigh 100 kilos) and with 230 lbs the initial travel is pretty harsh, any more air to perhaps circumvent using all of the travel would make the bike unridable. I suspect that I might have to send It off to get it tuned to suit my weight and riding style, I have read that for heavier riders they put in a slightly larger air volume reducer which gives a softer initial stroke and circumvents bottoming out all of the time.
    If it comes back half as good as the float I will be rapped!

  7. #7
    Elitest thrill junkie
    Reputation: Jayem's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Posts
    20,133
    Quote Originally Posted by lbatch@me.com View Post
    I have the factory float ctd with boost valve on a Specialized Camber Comp Carbon, and the factory float x ctd on a Giant Trance Advanced SX.

    Both are 2014 shocks. There is no comparison. I have had no difficulty setting up the float but the float x has 25 to 30% sag and blows through the travel regardless of how much air pressure I run. I am running 230 lbs ( weigh 100 kilos) and with 230 lbs the initial travel is pretty harsh, any more air to perhaps circumvent using all of the travel would make the bike unridable. I suspect that I might have to send It off to get it tuned to suit my weight and riding style, I have read that for heavier riders they put in a slightly larger air volume reducer which gives a softer initial stroke and circumvents bottoming out all of the time.
    If it comes back half as good as the float I will be rapped!
    Send it to avalanche, it looks like they are working magic on the Float X shocks right now. I owned two of their coil shocks and now you can get the exact same damping circuit in the Float X, it specifically addresses those things you mentioned (blowing through the stroke, etc).
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

    You're turning black metallic.

  8. #8
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Salespunk's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Posts
    2,943
    I have the Float X on my Mach 6 and it is fantastic. My HDR has a Pushed Monarch Plus that I was planning on installing, but the stock shock is so good that I have not bothered yet. BTW I hate Fox and am super frustrated that I can't say anything bad about it!

  9. #9
    LCW
    LCW is offline
    mtbr member
    Reputation: LCW's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    2,943

    Fox Float X CTD - who's tried one?

    Hmmmm... Sounds like some like it, some don't.

    Salespunk - was the Float X OEM on your Mach 6?

    Based on what lbatch is saying I might keep my Float CTD for another season...
    2011 Yeti 575 - 2015 Fox Float 36 RC2 160 / Fox Float X - 30.6 lbs

  10. #10
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Posts
    823
    I guess another question to be asked if the Float X is just another version of the DHX Air with no real improvement??? Those who don't like it have the same complaints as the old DHX Air.

  11. #11
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    1,205
    I had a Float X on a split pivot frame, rode it for two months, and it just never felt comfortable. I think the air can was too small, just ramped up too early, like at 50% or more travel it felt harsh even at 30% sag. Companies should put large cans on by default and give you volume reducers, a la rockshox. Not to mention the fact that it had air in the damper from the factory, and the top end was just dead.

    I put a 2014 RC3 on there and am much happier. The 3 compression settings are more usable than the ctd. I can play with volume.

  12. #12
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    910
    Did you check that it did not have a volume spacer fitted?

  13. #13
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    1,205
    No spacer.

  14. #14
    LCW
    LCW is offline
    mtbr member
    Reputation: LCW's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    2,943

    Fox Float X CTD - who's tried one?

    Quote Originally Posted by half_man_half_scab View Post
    I had a Float X on a split pivot frame, rode it for two months, and it just never felt comfortable. I think the air can was too small, just ramped up too early, like at 50% or more travel it felt harsh even at 30% sag. Companies should put large cans on by default and give you volume reducers, a la rockshox. Not to mention the fact that it had air in the damper from the factory, and the top end was just dead.

    I put a 2014 RC3 on there and am much happier. The 3 compression settings are more usable than the ctd. I can play with volume.
    That's odd since there's some pretty good reviews of it out there... Perhaps you a defective one?

    http://flowmountainbike.com/tests/te...wtrail-adjust/
    2011 Yeti 575 - 2015 Fox Float 36 RC2 160 / Fox Float X - 30.6 lbs

  15. #15
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    1,205
    I sent it in to Fox because of the air in the damper from the factory, and they told me that everything was functioning as expected. So, no, not defective.

  16. #16
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Posts
    234
    Quote Originally Posted by half_man_half_scab View Post
    I sent it in to Fox because of the air in the damper from the factory, and they told me that everything was functioning as expected. So, no, not defective.
    Often people confuse the noise created by the dimple in the air can (which balances positive/negative spring pressures) for a slurpy damper. The Float Fluid makes a slurpy noise when it passes through that dimple. Did you actually take the air can off and listen to the damper alone?

  17. #17
    LCW
    LCW is offline
    mtbr member
    Reputation: LCW's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    2,943

    Fox Float X CTD - who's tried one?

    half_man - do you know if your Float X's shock tune is a proper match for your bike's rear leverage ratio and also your weight? Fox can custom tune shocks - did you give them details of your bike, your weight, your riding style, etc, when you contacted them?
    2011 Yeti 575 - 2015 Fox Float 36 RC2 160 / Fox Float X - 30.6 lbs

  18. #18
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    1,205
    Quote Originally Posted by Matty F View Post
    Often people confuse the noise created by the dimple in the air can (which balances positive/negative spring pressures) for a slurpy damper. The Float Fluid makes a slurpy noise when it passes through that dimple. Did you actually take the air can off and listen to the damper alone?
    I don't recall a slurping noise. I don't recall testing it with the can off. It just slipped from one quality of travel to the next at 10% travel, a very perceptible threshold that I notice on most all Fox shocks made in the last 2 years that I didn't notice on my old RP23s. I'd like to believe you, but isn't the equalization dimple further into the travel than 10%?

    [QUTOE=LCW]half_man - do you know if your Float X's shock tune is a proper match for your bike's rear leverage ratio and also your weight? Fox can custom tune shocks - did you give them details of your bike, your weight, your riding style, etc, when you contacted them?[/QUOTE]

    The Float X is the shock Devinci spec'd with the Dixon in 2014. I wouldn't be surprised if the tune was botched, as that seems pretty common, but its the tune that Fox and Devinci developed together.

  19. #19
    Dropshot
    Reputation: lbatch@me.com's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Posts
    29
    Quote Originally Posted by half_man_half_scab View Post
    I don't recall a slurping noise. I don't recall testing it with the can off. It just slipped from one quality of travel to the next at 10% travel, a very perceptible threshold that I notice on most all Fox shocks made in the last 2 years that I didn't notice on my old RP23s. I'd like to believe you, but isn't the equalization dimple further into the travel than 10%?

    [QUTOE=LCW]half_man - do you know if your Float X's shock tune is a proper match for your bike's rear leverage ratio and also your weight? Fox can custom tune shocks - did you give them details of your bike, your weight, your riding style, etc, when you contacted them?
    The Float X is the shock Devinci spec'd with the Dixon in 2014. I wouldn't be surprised if the tune was botched, as that seems pretty common, but its the tune that Fox and Devinci developed together.[/QUOTE]


    Reply to everyone: seems that from all of the responses to this forum that some love the floats, and some don't. I would just like to add that assuming that shocks are the same as forks, from a mass manufactured perspective, that there can be significant variants across any model. I know that with forks it can be pretty hit and miss as to whether you get a good set, or a problematic one. I had four sets of the the new model 160mm factory Talas forks before I got a set that did not have a post manufacturing bug, forks are brilliant now but it took some time to get it right. Since my original post I have had plenty of time to get accustomed to, and fine tune the floatx, they are till fractionally harsh at the start of the stroke and somewhat linear, but don't bottom out. We all ride differently and have different weights and centre of gravity, perhaps the answer is that we should all be considering custom tune options?

    Would be keen to hear from those that have tried the custom tune option for their floatx and what the results have been.

  20. #20
    Justin Vander Pol
    Reputation: juice's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    1,421
    I'm looking to add some ramp-up to my Float X CTD. Standard air can, so spacer is the best option. I like a LOT of ramp-up on my forks and shocks. I can't find spacers in stock anywhere, does anyone have a lead on where to get them?

    Mojo has them, but out of stock and shipping from UK to Seattle seems wasteful. Anywhere else I might get them?
    Issaquah & Seattle real estate agent. Buy or sell a home with me and I donate $500 to Evergreen MTB Alliance
    jvpRE.com

  21. #21
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    701
    Call fox direct. Ridefox.com

  22. #22
    Dropshot
    Reputation: lbatch@me.com's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Posts
    29
    Quote Originally Posted by juice View Post
    I'm looking to add some ramp-up to my Float X CTD. Standard air can, so spacer is the best option. I like a LOT of ramp-up on my forks and shocks. I can't find spacers in stock anywhere, does anyone have a lead on where to get them?

    Mojo has them, but out of stock and shipping from UK to Seattle seems wasteful. Anywhere else I might get them?
    In the interim you can smear some high temperature grease inside the air can effectively reducing the air volume. This is a good way to test to see if a spacer will benefit you.

  23. #23
    LCW
    LCW is offline
    mtbr member
    Reputation: LCW's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    2,943

    Fox Float X CTD - who's tried one?

    http://www.artscyclery.com/Fox_Shox_...ge-FSFAVS.html

    Not sure if they would be same for Float X... I assume the air chambers on Float X same as regular Float
    2011 Yeti 575 - 2015 Fox Float 36 RC2 160 / Fox Float X - 30.6 lbs

  24. #24
    Justin Vander Pol
    Reputation: juice's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    1,421
    Quote Originally Posted by LCW View Post
    Fox Shox Float CTD Air Volume Spacer/Reducer Kit

    Not sure if they would be same for Float X... I assume the air chambers on Float X same as regular Float
    The float X needs different spacers. I called Fox direct and ordered them, but they're out of stock until July 11. $35 + $12 shipping, Worth it to do it right. I've had mixed experiences trying to reduce air volume using DIY methods, though I'm sure grease would work in the short term.

    Too bad someone like Universalcycles.com doesn't stock these, would be way more convenient and save on shipping.
    Issaquah & Seattle real estate agent. Buy or sell a home with me and I donate $500 to Evergreen MTB Alliance
    jvpRE.com

  25. #25
    LCW
    LCW is offline
    mtbr member
    Reputation: LCW's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    2,943

    Fox Float X CTD - who's tried one?

    Oops...

    Last edited by LCW; 06-05-2014 at 12:40 PM.
    2011 Yeti 575 - 2015 Fox Float 36 RC2 160 / Fox Float X - 30.6 lbs

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 6
    Last Post: 10-28-2014, 07:48 PM
  2. Replies: 5
    Last Post: 07-16-2013, 03:37 AM
  3. Replies: 0
    Last Post: 03-09-2013, 08:43 AM
  4. Replies: 2
    Last Post: 06-13-2011, 08:16 AM
  5. Replies: 5
    Last Post: 04-27-2011, 08:10 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •