LCW
    mtbr member

Fox Float X CTD - who's tried one?

Anyone buy a Float X CTD, or ride a demo bike that had one on?

Curious as to how it feels and compares with a regular Float CTD.

thnx
    2011 Yeti 575 - Fox Float 36 RC2 160 - 31.5 lbs

LCW
    mtbr member
    Bueller?
    2011 Yeti 575 - Fox Float 36 RC2 160 - 31.5 lbs

mtbr member

First ride on the float x on my tallboy LTc today. Seems like I need to increase air pressure 10psi over what reg float ctd. Going to try another ride tomorrow to nail the sag, then hone in on rebound damping. So far good, but not dialed yet. Will update soon.
    Giant Team Bike & Bean-Marin Co., CA

https://www.facebook.com/GiantBikeandBean

mtbr member

Adding 10psi over the reg ctd helped. Started in the middle of about 24 clicks of rebound adjust. Now about three clicks to the fast side of middle, prob around 9 out from full fast. I like it. Feels more plush in descend and trail. Climb seems firmer. Not a huge difference so far from the standard ctd, but having both the front and rear suspension both on a remote is really nice. Easy to go from DH to trail to climb etc really quick and safer than trying to reach down to the fork and shock.

mtbr member

Fox Float X CTD - who's tried one?-imageuploadedbytapatalk1374730216.423338.jpgFox Float X CTD - who's tried one?-imageuploadedbytapatalk1374730226.849178.jpgFox Float X CTD - who's tried one?-imageuploadedbytapatalk1374730235.446223.jpg

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by LCW View Post
    Anyone buy a Float X CTD, or ride a demo bike that had one on?

Curious as to how it feels and compares with a regular Float CTD.

thnx
    I have the factory float ctd with boost valve on a Specialized Camber Comp Carbon, and the factory float x ctd on a Giant Trance Advanced SX.

Both are 2014 shocks. There is no comparison. I have had no difficulty setting up the float but the float x has 25 to 30% sag and blows through the travel regardless of how much air pressure I run. I am running 230 lbs ( weigh 100 kilos) and with 230 lbs the initial travel is pretty harsh, any more air to perhaps circumvent using all of the travel would make the bike unridable. I suspect that I might have to send It off to get it tuned to suit my weight and riding style, I have read that for heavier riders they put in a slightly larger air volume reducer which gives a softer initial stroke and circumvents bottoming out all of the time.
    If it comes back half as good as the float I will be rapped!

Elitest thrill junkie
    Quote Originally Posted by lbatch@me.com View Post
    I have the factory float ctd with boost valve on a Specialized Camber Comp Carbon, and the factory float x ctd on a Giant Trance Advanced SX.

Both are 2014 shocks. There is no comparison. I have had no difficulty setting up the float but the float x has 25 to 30% sag and blows through the travel regardless of how much air pressure I run. I am running 230 lbs ( weigh 100 kilos) and with 230 lbs the initial travel is pretty harsh, any more air to perhaps circumvent using all of the travel would make the bike unridable. I suspect that I might have to send It off to get it tuned to suit my weight and riding style, I have read that for heavier riders they put in a slightly larger air volume reducer which gives a softer initial stroke and circumvents bottoming out all of the time.
    If it comes back half as good as the float I will be rapped!
    Send it to avalanche, it looks like they are working magic on the Float X shocks right now. I owned two of their coil shocks and now you can get the exact same damping circuit in the Float X, it specifically addresses those things you mentioned (blowing through the stroke, etc).
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

You're turning black metallic.

mtbr member
    I have the Float X on my Mach 6 and it is fantastic. My HDR has a Pushed Monarch Plus that I was planning on installing, but the stock shock is so good that I have not bothered yet. BTW I hate Fox and am super frustrated that I can't say anything bad about it!