Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    mtbr member
    Can't say enough about how much I like the Float X on my Rocky Mtn. Altitude - & this is the 1st Fox shock I have liked -night & day compared to the standard Float.

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    Just curious. Dont these shocks come with a certain tune? Doesnt say so on the website. Or is it as simple as to buy one, install and tune it to your own preferences?

Dropshot

New question here.

Quote Originally Posted by Kamao View Post
    Just curious. Dont these shocks come with a certain tune? Doesnt say so on the website. Or is it as simple as to buy one, install and tune it to your own preferences?
    Bike manufacturers will order shox with a tune to suit the purpose of the bike. If you buy one after market, in some cases, you can pick from one of a number of preset tunes. Best advice is to always allow a bit in your budget for a custom tune. Unless of course the standard tune works for you.

i would be interested to know what a standard tune is? What do manufacturers benchmark by? Standard rider weight? Riding style?

LCW
    mtbr member

Fox Float X CTD - who's tried one?

Got a couple short rides in over the weekend. All I can say about the Float X is - WOW!

SUCH a improvement over the Float CTD I had prior (had trail adjust and boost valve). Which wasn't a bad shock by any means. The Float X is just so much better! Pedals very well - nice and controlled - even in Trail mode.

Mine is a custom tune for my bike and weight (ordered from Fox). So was my prior Float, so both were custom tuned to my bike.

The CTD adjustment actually feel like proper low speed compression adjustments. Gone is the platform feel of my previous Float CTD (and RP23 before it), where you'd get a ton of initial resistant before "breaking" through. The Float X is just SMOOTH. No platform or notchy feel. There is a lot of spread between the 1,2 and 3 settings on the Trail setting, which is nice. You actually feel the difference. Great midstroke support - doesn't blow through travel at all, which is impressive since the 575 sort of has a low point in the leverage ratio in the middle of stroke.

I can't be more pleased with this upgrade. Didn't think it could be that much of an improvement over the standard Float CTD, which again, I didn't dislike. Worked very well. But after a few rides on the Float X, I'd never go back to a Float CTD (or any non-reservoir shock for that matter) on an All-Mountain long travel bike.

Can't wait to bring this thing to my nearby DH course for some gravity riding!

Anyone thinking of getting a Float X, I don't think you'll be disappointed, but I can't stress enough of getting the right tune for your bike and weight. The wrong tune can probably ruin the ride, that goes for any shock.

2011 Yeti 575 - 2015 Fox Float 36 RC2 160 / Fox Float X - 30.6 lbs

LCW
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by skyno View Post
    Can't say enough about how much I like the Float X on my Rocky Mtn. Altitude - & this is the 1st Fox shock I have liked -night & day compared to the standard Float.
    couldn't agree more with this - it's a badass shock - totally different than a standard float... the piggy back isn't just for looks... allows for a proper compression circuit, with base valve and extra oil volume...

mtbr member
    Apr 2014
    Just to add my experience with the Float X.

I have a 2nd gen AL Nomad bought in late summer 2009, bearings were original till this summer (2014). I changed bearings, added the Float X, and a few other parts non-suspension related. I used to have a DHX 5.0 coil, then for the last 2 years had a RP23 with propedal (freshly services last winter).

First ride on the bike since the major service and I had an amazing experience riding. The rear end of the bike just tracks so much better and stays planted. I didn't think I personally was a good enough rider to notice a big suspension difference, but I was wrong. Climbing felt great, almost no pedal bob in the 'climb' position. Flat felt great, no bucking (rebound set correctly) and no harshness in the middle 'trail' position. Didn't get to take it on any real technical (Rocks/Roots) downhill type trail, but fast rutty stuff in the 'descend' position felt great. My legs were noticeably less tired after my descent and overall ride, which I justifiably attribute to the rear shock.

The problem I had was, now that the shock performs this well, my fork was glaringly lacking in any bump sensitivity. (2009 Lyrik 160 also freshly serviced) Too much pressure, no sensitivity, or too little air (correct sag) blows through all the travel, even with compression adjustment maxed out. Good thing I will have a 2015 Float 36 on order this week. If it feels anything like my Float 40, I will have given this bike new life.

LCW
    mtbr member

Anyone know if Fox has the retro sticker kit for the rear shocks available? I know they have them for forks...

mtbr member
    Apr 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by LCW View Post
    Anyone know if Fox has the retro sticker kit for the rear shocks available? I know they have them for forks...

I have 3 decal kits and they each come with 1 sheet for the forks and 1 sheet for the rear shocks. The rear shock sheet has a variety of decals and they are each labeled as to which decal fits which rear shock.

Here is a picture of my Nomad with the blue decals (sorry it's so messy in the back). Hopefully you can see how they look on the Float X and new 36.

Fox Float X CTD - who's tried one?-nomad.jpg

LCW
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by bkrupp View Post
    I have 3 decal kits and they each come with 1 sheet for the forks and 1 sheet for the rear shocks. The rear shock sheet has a variety of decals and they are each labeled as to which decal fits which rear shock.

Here is a picture of my Nomad with the blue decals (sorry it's so messy in the back). Hopefully you can see how they look on the Float X and new 36.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Nomad.jpg 
Views:	640 
Size:	178.6 KB 
ID:	907826
    Cool! Where did you get your decal kit? Looks like what I'm looking for... got the fork incoming so might change that also.

mtbr member
    Apr 2014
    I got a the red and the white ones from Fox at Sea Otter. And the blue (cyan) one from competitive cyclist here (along with my fork):

FOX Racing Shox Heritage Fork and Shock Decal Kit | Competitive Cyclist

LCW
    mtbr member

Quote Originally Posted by bkrupp View Post
    I got a the red and the white ones from Fox at Sea Otter. And the blue (cyan) one from competitive cyclist here (along with my fork):

FOX Racing Shox Heritage Fork and Shock Decal Kit | Competitive Cyclist
    Awesome - thanks!

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    Hey LCW,

Many thanks for all the information. I also have a 2011 575 (25th edition) and I'm thinking about new forks and a shock.

Couple of questions :

How did you get the custom tune done on the Float X?

Any reason you didn't go for the remote versions of the forks and shock? Having one remote to control them both in unison sounds like a nice idea....

Thanks!

David

LCW
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by hewittd View Post
    Hey LCW,

Many thanks for all the information. I also have a 2011 575 (25th edition) and I'm thinking about new forks and a shock.

Couple of questions :

How did you get the custom tune done on the Float X?

Any reason you didn't go for the remote versions of the forks and shock? Having one remote to control them both in unison sounds like a nice idea....

Thanks!

David
    Dave - sorry must have missed this...

Responses -

1) "Custom" tune is when you order from Fox. You give them your riding weight, bike year, make, model, front fork used (and travel). I don't think it's truly "custom" other than matching the parameters given to their available tunes. But judging by the variety of the 4-letter codes, there are a crap load of tunes available to match anything. Getting it truly custom tuned would probably require sending it back to Fox and explaining what it is, from the initial tune, that one would like changed (less LSC, more HSC, etc.).

2) Remotes - many reasons - a) I hate remotes usually - they clutter up the handlebar even more, and an extra cable. b) you sacrifice the trail adjust settings by going remote. I use those so it's non-option to me to get remote. Plus I run a 36 RC2 in the front - no remote for those, as there's 20+ clicks of adjustment on multiple knobs. So not even possible. CTD forks are not my bag. Frankly, if Fox had a Float X RC2 or RC4, I'd go for that and ditch 'CTD' entirely. There may be hope, as a proto air shock with high and low speed compression and rebound was spotted on a Nomad in Whistler.

Prototype FOX RAD DH Air Shock - Pinkbike

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    The Float X is a good rear shock…but I'm looking towards the CC DB Air for my Mach 6…I have my X on the "bay" as of now 216 x 63mm or 8.5" x 2.5"….

It's definitely an upgrade over "the regular Float" models…

…02

mtbr member
    Random question but I found a float x on eBay that I want to put on my Yeti sb95 but it does not come with mounting hardware. Can I use my current hardware for my float CTD to install the new float x or do I need new hardware?

Sent from my VS980 4G using Tapatalk

LCW
    mtbr member

Should be able to use the same. Just be careful pressing them out of the old shock

mtbr member
    Has anyone sent theirs to Avalanche to tune? Thoughts on before and after? I'm currently running Avy tuned Van RC coil (off my old Chilcotin) on the back of my Warden. Works pretty well, but I'm looking for a Float X to put on it.

Buying one new though and sending to Craig to tune is more money that I'm into spending ($500+ for the shock, $300 for the tune,) and apparently finding a used Float X is my size is a needle in a haystack. Nevermind finding one at a good price.

I will say though, if I find one, I'll need to get one of those sticker kits to match my new 36. The matching blue decals on bkrupp's Nomad look good.
    If jackasses could fly this place would be an airport.

ban
    mtbr member
    Jul 2004
    my Float X on my N3...works pretty well, better than the stock Monarch IMO
    Fox Float X CTD - who's tried one?-image.jpg

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2