mtbr member
    Jan 2011

Fox float v RS Monarch R

Hi, I'm currently running a fox float, the basic one with no adjustments which is doing ok for me but I wish I could adjust it. I have been offered a RS MONARCH R 2012 model cheap and brand new, I believe the monarch is supposed to be one of the top rear air shox from RS, how does it compare to the fox float and is it the RS comparative to say the fox rp23.

Basically is it worth the swap out?

If it makes any difference I ride a mongoose otero super 2008 with a RS reba race front shock, SRAM x9&x0 shifters/rear der, otherwise stock components

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by xdeity View Post
    Hi, I'm currently running a fox float, the basic one with no adjustments which is doing ok for me but I wish I could adjust it. I have been offered a RS MONARCH R 2012 model cheap and brand new, I believe the monarch is supposed to be one of the top rear air shox from RS, how does it compare to the fox float and is it the RS comparative to say the fox rp23.

Basically is it worth the swap out?

If it makes any difference I ride a mongoose otero super 2008 with a RS reba race front shock, SRAM x9&x0 shifters/rear der, otherwise stock components
    The Fox Float R and Monarch have the same adjustments- need to step up on either model to get adjust ability.

mtbr member
    The other thing to bear in mind is whether the Monarch has the correct compression and rebound tunes for your bike.
    But, as stated above, both shocks you have mentioned are only adjustable for air pressure and rebound, so you won't much, if anything, from the newer shock.

mtbr member
    Jan 2011
    It's not a float R it's a float with no adjustment at all

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by xdeity View Post
    It's not a float R it's a float with no adjustment at all
    In that case, you will get an improvement, as you will obviously be able to adjust the rebound, but you will still to check what tune is on the Monarch.