mtbr member
    Aug 2008

Fox Float RP23 vs Rock Shox Monarch 4.3..?

Been running the Monarch for a while but my biggest grip is the fragility of the air valve - gone through five now and only two has really kept the pressure without me having to keep an eye on it.

Now have the chance to get (same size and fit) a Float RP23 - for those who have experience of both, all other things being equal - is this a smart move. I know the Monarch has their Flood Gate system where as the Fox as a three position setting but other than that, I am interested in the rebound settings performance of the Float - and anything else anyone can point out to me. Cheers..

mtbr member
    I went the other way around -> had the RP23 first, had it tuned by Push, then bought a Monarch 4.2 later on.
    The Monarch isn't as plush (the Fox has a large air can, the Monarch a small one) but it is very controlled and "efficient". It never uses as much travel as the Fox but it sucks up all the bumps also, yet it keeps a better reserve for heavy hits. The faster you go the nicer the Monarch will be.
    The air valve may be fragile but the Monarch is the better shock in the end.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Thanks for that, appreciated..

I Tried Them ALL... Moderator
    Not to mention the Monarch 4.3 has a much longer service interval, than the RP23.
    "The mind will quit....well before the body does"

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    I had fox float rp2 on my bike for a while, never been satisfied with rebound and shock feel sometimes a little harsh. Then I got a good deal on rs monarch rt3, so I bought it. My bike (Mondraker Foxy) needs low/mid tune on compression, but the monarch was H3, even so, with monarch the ride was much smoother and much more controled than freshly serviced fox. Now I changed the compression tune of monarch and it's a huge difference, shock is even better than before. I don't wanna see that fox thing on my bike again.

And monarch can be completely serviced by yourself, so its economic choice too.