Bike to the Bone...

Fox Float OB vs Rock Shox Sektor R SA?

Hi.. I'm evaluating purchasing a bike, and there are this two different forks that I can get:

1. Rock Shox Sektor SA r 130
    2. Fox Float 130 OB RL 130.

The bike is a Santa Cruz Nickel.

I haven't found much info on the forks, since they are not the top level of their class.

The price difference would let me get a nicer component kit, where if I go with the Sektor, I would get mostly XT parts and some SLX, and if I go with Fox the parts are mostly Deore. On both kits, the brakes are Elixirs... but I'm just interested in the fork.

The sektor fork doesn't have the motion control, but is air and has rebound control. I think that it's also the case with the Float (maybe the only difference is that I can lock the Fox).

What would be my best option?

Thanks

mtbr member
    I would go with Fox. It's shim-damped fork with good performance damping. That Rock Shox Sektor is quite low end fork which I wouldn't consider if the other option is that. And I think that a good suspension is really important in a mountain bike and you could upgrade Deore later if you are not satisfied with that.

"El Whatever"
    Go with the Fox for the reasons tune mentions. Better damping out of the box and basically the same chassis as the top end stuff. A Revelation with MoCo would be a more comparable fork to the Fox.

Of both of the kits the one with SLX/Deore is just fine. Yes, the other is nicer with XT bits, but on the trail difference is minimum. You'll notice more the better damping of the Fox.

The only compromise is the wheels. Deore hubs are not bad and have decent seals. The ones with crappy seals are the 4XX series. 525's will be fine unless you pressure wash the hubs.

Ride those, kill them and get a nicer wheelset in the future. Same with the other bits. Ride them until they fall apart, replace as needed.
    Check my Site

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    the fox will feel sinicantly lighter, im going with a sektor dual position because i can drop it from 140 to 110 with the flip of a switch. lot of climbing where i ride,. motion control is nice. with the fox the RL is rebound and lockout. while RLC is rebound lockout and compression.
    the motion control has on the fly compression dampening. i like the versatlity for the price. remember TK=turnkey is not motion control. sektor rl has mo-co.
    but if your to run the shock wide open the fox is probably a lighter smoother ride.
    a revelation is lighter like the fox and also has blackbox low speed compression like the higher end fox for the price of low end fox

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Go with the Fox. The Fox's damper is MUCH better than the port orifice damper on the Sektor. Life is just too short for port orifice damping. The better components you could get with going with the Sektor won't make up for its worse ride.

Also, Fox doesn't make a low end fork. They just make forks with fewer adjustments.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by bad mechanic View Post
    Go with the Fox. The Fox's damper is MUCH better than the port orifice damper on the Sektor. Life is just too short for port orifice damping. The better components you could get with going with the Sektor won't make up for its worse ride.

Also, Fox doesn't make a low end fork. They just make forks with fewer adjustments.
    Can the low-end Sektor's damper be upgraded to MC?

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Yes.

Bike to the Bone...
    Quote Originally Posted by fsrxc View Post
    Can the low-end Sektor's damper be upgraded to MC?
    That would be a deal braker, but then, the price would be higher...

I'm pretty sure that if we go with the nickel we would select the fox fork.