mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Fox float forx oil leak

Hi - I've got moderate amounts of oil coming out of the top of both legs of my 2004 fox float forx rl's. Should it be simply a matter of changing the oil and seals or is it likely something more serious? I've maintained them myself, changing oil and seals every 12-18 months, and they're due a change now, but haven't leaked oil out like this before...

Ian

mtbr member
    Feb 2006
    Change the seals and inspect the stanchions below the seal area for damage. This is normal when the seals are worn out.
    Cycle Monkey
    Rohloff Speedhubs - Schlumpf Gearing Systems - Custom Wheels
    www.cyclemonkey.com
    cyclemonkeylab.blogspot.com

DGC
    mtbr member

seal change

Quote Originally Posted by SSBonty
    Hi - I've got moderate amounts of oil coming out of the top of both legs of my 2004 fox float forx rl's. Should it be simply a matter of changing the oil and seals or is it likely something more serious? I've maintained them myself, changing oil and seals every 12-18 months, and they're due a change now, but haven't leaked oil out like this before...

Ian
    Time to service the fork and change seals. Everyone rides different so some riders can get years on a set of seals, some 6 months. 12-18 months is fairly normal unless you only ride once a week for a few summer months. Time for an oil change and deep cleaning, and new seals. Have you been using Fox seals or Enduro?
    Enduro seals do a better job at keeping dirt out and holding the oil in than Fox OE seals. Not sure which seals you have replaced with before???
    Fox was allowing dust seal warranty of only 90 days last I knew,.....if I'm not mistaken Enduro gives a 1 year seal warranty??? The clear choice is Enduro.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    OUCH...!!!!!!

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Thanks for the replies, got some Enduros on order now from the States so will stick them in when they come. What kind of damage should I look for, and is it a serious problem?

Ian

mtbr member
    Feb 2006
    Just check the stanchions for serious scratching or wear. I've seen several forks where the customer failed to perform routine maintenance and the forks either ran dry or were packed with mud. Every time the fork moved, the grit would slide between bushing and stanchion and cause further damage. These forks had more play than normal and were more likely to leak in the future, assuming that the crown-steerer assembly was not replaced. Sounds like you''ve been keeping on top of service so you probably won't have this problem.

Neil
    Cycle Monkey
    Rohloff Speedhubs - Schlumpf Gearing Systems - Custom Wheels
    www.cyclemonkey.com
    cyclemonkeylab.blogspot.com