mtbr member
    Nov 2008

Fox Float Fluid or Rock Shox Red Rum

Why can't I buy a quart of these oils at my LBS? I want to change the oil in my shock, myself, and not pay them to do it for me. Anyone know where I can get it?

Thanks,
    James (Northern Virginia)

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    Yes you can buy both. They are pretty similar and can be used interchangeably.

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Megaclocker
    Yes you can buy both. They are pretty similar and can be used interchangeably.
    Sorry, to be clear. My LBS does't sell these oils although they have them in their shop for use by their mechanic. They want me to bring the shock in and let them change out the oil...

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    The short answer is they won't sell you the stuff because they want to get your money for the labor.

You can get the Fox stuff at a variety of online retailers. Jenson, for example. Motorcycle shops carry the same sorts of fluids. There are threads all over this list comparing this moto fluid to that MTB fluid. A fellow named Pete Verdone had good info about that on his site.
    "Bikes aren't fast--people are fast. Bikes are overpriced. It's an important distinction."---BikeSnob NYC

mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    Float fluid and Red Rum are only for use in minute quantities for seal lubrication. The normal quantity sold is the 2cc pillow pack - this is too much for a shock air sleeve service and you are inviting "stuck down" problems if you use all of it.

I have a small bottle of the stuff - much less than a quart and it will likely be enough for about 10 years' maintenance.

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by petercarm
    Float fluid and Red Rum are only for use in minute quantities for seal lubrication. The normal quantity sold is the 2cc pillow pack - this is too much for a shock air sleeve service and you are inviting "stuck down" problems if you use all of it.

I have a small bottle of the stuff - much less than a quart and it will likely be enough for about 10 years' maintenance.
    This is exactly what I need it for, as I only need 7ml. I'm changing the "Oil Bath" on my Maverick ML7.2 shock, which Maverick recommends doing every 100-hours.

This should be simple to get... right?!

CTB
    mtbr member
    My LBS had the small jug of Red Rum, so it's not entirely impossible to find it. I got the last one, though. Combine that with some fork oil from the local motorcycle shop and I was in business to rebuild my SID.

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by Rameses
    This is exactly what I need it for, as I only need 7ml. I'm changing the "Oil Bath" on my Maverick ML7.2 shock, which Maverick recommends doing every 100-hours.

This should be simple to get... right?!
    Youe LBS can order those oil bottles for you, if they deny this, just change bike shop (they suck). I work in a shop and we can order RedRum and the blue thick Fox oil (both in something like 350ml bottle) in under 4 days.

Alternatively you can use some 85wt oil that you can find in most motorsport shop. (Would cost a lot less)

CTB
    mtbr member
    I've heard that Red Rum is nearly the same as Torco engine assembly lube, but I never was able to verify that. Torco's probably more easily found at a bike or hot rod shop than Red Rum, etc.

I AM I AM
    Just order it through an online bike shop if your LBS won't come to the party.
    I ordered some Fox fluid to service my Float R air sleeve. Yeah I got the small bottle which would have been enough for like 10 years worth, after I sold that bike I sold the bottle on ebay, should have kept it I suppose.

DGC
    mtbr member

pillow pack

Quote Originally Posted by Rameses
    Why can't I buy a quart of these oils at my LBS? I want to change the oil in my shock, myself, and not pay them to do it for me. Anyone know where I can get it?

Thanks,
    James (Northern Virginia)
    You can't blam the shop for trying to make money and stay in business, but...........you can do it yourself if you are a little mechanically inclined. Thing is you don't need the bottle of fluid. All Fox Float rear shock seal kits come with a 5cc pillow pack of fluid. ALL shops have these things lying around. Get any shop to give you 2 packs, even if you pay them a buck a pack your way farther ahead than paying for a huge amount of float fluid in an 8oz. bottle plus shipping to do it once or twice a year. Shops that do a decent amount of suspension service work out of the big bottle, they always have the pillow packs around. Further more, I use more suspension grease on the rear shock and some fluid. It can ooze out a sloppy mess if you use straight float fluid and ride in a warm climate.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    OUCH...!!!!!!

mtbr member
    Feb 2006
    Check out my thread on this... Different alternative from Float Fluid?
    06' Gary Fisher Cake 2dlx with Azonic MTN X Pedals
    06' Giant Reign 2 with Wellgo MG-1 Pedals