What?

Fox Float CTD Evo shock..... A look inside

Hated the Float CTD Evo that came on my Bantam. Took it apart, this is what I found:

Fox Float CTD Evo shock..... A look inside-together.jpg
    Damper assembled, pulled from damper body. In this picture, the damper would be in descend mode.

Fox Float CTD Evo shock..... A look inside-piston-removed.jpg
    No high speed rebound, just a plunger with a .5mm thick shim/washer that covers the HSC ports from the bottom. This is what the CTD lever controls(controls how close to the piston face the shim is)

Fox Float CTD Evo shock..... A look inside-no-plunger.jpg
    Piston removed. All shims and check valve installed still.

Fox Float CTD Evo shock..... A look inside-full-apart.jpg Piston/check valve pulled apart. LSC shim stack would be the larger shims only and main ports along the outside of the piston flow to them. These are the ports the CTD valve covers. The smaller shims are the HSC shims They sit under the LSC shims, so both shim stacks are part of the HSC shim stack.. When the LSC ports are covers, the HSC ports are still open allowing the oil to flow, but both stacks need to flex to allow Flow.

Fox Float CTD Evo shock..... A look inside-shaft-side-piston.jpg

Close up of the shim side of the piston. HSC shims fit down in the inner circle. LSC shims go on top and cover the rest of the piton. Like I said earlier, the shim stacks run in series, so HSC oil flow must flow through the LSC stack as well.

Fox Float CTD Evo shock..... A look inside-bottom-piston.jpg

Bottom of the piston. The ports along the outside are what the CTD washer covers. The ports on the inside are recessed to allow oil flow to them when the LSC ports are covered. This is what gives the lock out its blow off.

Overall, I'm not surprised that the shock performs so poorly. No HSR circuit is ridiculous for rear shock, especially one from Fox. The in series shim stacks are also a questionable at best design. I would say I expect better from fox, Unfortunately I don't.

Elitest thrill junkie
    Quote Originally Posted by mullen119 View Post
    No HSR circuit is ridiculous for rear shock, especially one from Fox.
    I'm not surprised after seeing the Evo fork internals. Fox has significantly cheapened their products over the last couple years.
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

You're turning black metallic.

"El Whatever"
    ugh... No wonder mine dives and spikes all at the wrong times!

Now... this shock is focused on OEM market, but at any rate, this is a poor effort from Fox. Same as their EVO forks. Actually, I find it easier to live with the fork than the shock. The shock is crap.

I will dump both from my bike.
    Check my Site

What?
    Quote Originally Posted by Warp View Post

Now... this shock is focused on OEM market, but at any rate, this is a poor effort from Fox. Same as their EVO forks. Actually, I find it easier to live with the fork than the shock. The shock is crap.

I agree. Lucky for me, I dont have to deal with a Evo fork. The Evo rear shock never made it to a proper trail before I dumped it.

My wife is Full Evo on her Giant though. Even she hates it. Normally she doesnt notice anything with her suspension, so for her to say if feels like crap on the trail says a lot. She Hates the fork more than the rear shock, but complains about both.

"El Whatever"
    Quote Originally Posted by mullen119 View Post
    My wife is Full Evo on her Giant though. Even she hates it. Normally she doesnt notice anything with her suspension, so for her to say if feels like crap on the trail says a lot. She Hates the fork more than the rear shock, but complains about both.
    Another Giant here, and yes, they are that bad.
    You probably already did, but look at the semi-bath. My fork felt sticky from the get-go. Fresh Mobil 1 and it now feels like a fork.

Next will be lighter oil in the "damper" but it's pretty much bandages on a horse with a broken leg.

I haven't bothered with the shock. I thought my X-Fusion would fit, but it didn't so I'm stuck with this POS for a while.
    Check my Site

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by Warp View Post
    The shock is crap.

Same here. Mine was literally a bizarro shock. It would blow through travel when you'd want support, but lock up solid when you'd want it to move. Moved to a Monarch+ and haven't looked back.

mtbr member
    Guess this means I'm lucky my Remedy 9 has Fox Performance Series Float, DRCV, CTD... instead of the Remedy 8's Fox Evolution Series Float, DRCV, CTD?

While no Kashima or Trail Adjust, I'm assuming the Performance Series rear shock is actually tuneable?
    '14 Remedy 9 - Pike, XT's, XO/X9, hookless carbon
    '14 Jet9 RDO - Reverb, XT's, XO/X9, hookless carbon

What?
    Quote Originally Posted by car_nut View Post
    Same here. Mine was literally a bizarro shock. It would blow through travel when you'd want support, but lock up solid when you'd want it to move. Moved to a Monarch+ and haven't looked back.
    Moved to an older RT3 for me. Still trying to get the tune dialed, but just a decent base tune blows away the Fox.

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Look like a Triad

"El Whatever"
    Quote Originally Posted by cadoretteboat View Post
    Look like a Triad
    Well... Basically it is.
    Check my Site

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Damn, and I almost bought one of those Evolution series shocks off of ProBikeSupply but ponied up for the factory model instead!
    2012 Scott Spark 29 Team
    2013 Scott Scale 970
    2011 Scott Speedster S20
    1999 Specialized FSR Comp

What?
    Quote Originally Posted by zephxiii View Post
    Damn, and I almost bought one of those Evolution series shocks off of ProBikeSupply but ponied up for the factory model instead!

Good choice!

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    Fox goes public and focuses on shareholder return instead of making world class suspension. Sold out its hard earned and well deserved reputation for a quick buck.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by cadoretteboat View Post
    Look like a Triad
    Yep, it's the exact same piston design used in the Triad, RPL, and the Nude2 used by Scott.