Thread: fox f80 X

mtbr member
    Mar 2004

fox f80 X

I am looking at a new 05 Fox F80 X and was wondering if anyone has any advice or feedback on these. From what I have heard, they have a really good reputation and many riders love them. I know there are pros and cons to every fork though.

I have not read up on the 06 version yet to see if there are major differences but I will look into that next. I just want to hear some feedback from fox owners.

thanks

MK_
    carpe maņana
    Quote Originally Posted by 1speed
    I am looking at a new 05 Fox F80 X and was wondering if anyone has any advice or feedback on these. From what I have heard, they have a really good reputation and many riders love them. I know there are pros and cons to every fork though.

I have not read up on the 06 version yet to see if there are major differences but I will look into that next. I just want to hear some feedback from fox owners.

thanks
    From your handle I assume you're a singlespeeder? The terralogic series of Foxes is THE singlespeeding fork. It works as advertised. You get up and hammer and it is fully locked out, unless you bounce on it, meaning, you get the front wheel off the ground and repeatedly hit it on the ground. On the way down, it is nearly fully unlocked. That first bump in a sieries will spike a tiny bit, after that, however, it is a fully active Float. It is also good for XC racing, where you're so exausted at one point that pressing a lockout lever seems like an impossible task.

_MK
    "No man goes before his time -- unless the boss leaves early."
    -- Marx, Groucho

mtbr member
    Mar 2005

F80x

I have one on a steel frame hardtail It works great for racing XC, but it does not fully lock out the fork feels like its had a propedal funtion than a full on lockout. l like the feature so much I going to ditch my fatty on my scalpel and go with the leftyX.

banned
    Apr 2004

RLT 80 is also a great fork

Quote Originally Posted by 1speed

thanks
    I've got an 04 that has over 2 years of riding and is just now starting to leak a little oil.

mtbr member

Good job!

Great fork, I would like to suggest that you consider a F100X instead of the F80X. It will give you more flexibility. I had a F100X about two years ago and I really loved it. I only changed it because I needed longer travel for a new bike. I could get up and mash on the pedals and there was absolutely no bob. You can also set the threshold/sensitivity of how much bump will get it moving. My F100X came with a 20mm. spacer that was inserted internally to limit the travel to 80mm. if you prefer. If you buy a F80X you can not easily change it to a 100mm.

Ronnie.

formerly Giantxc
    I've had a 2004 F100X on my geared bike for the year and a half and recently bought a 2005 F80X for my SS (both are OE models). I'll second what everyone else has said and add a few more observations.

First, the fork can be a bit tempermental. Last june I had to replace the seal on my 2004 after about 6 months of use. Leak is a well known problem with the Terralogic forks (at least the earlier once) and I replaced the seals with Enduro Seals. I've been hearing fewer and fewer of these complaints so I wonder if the 05 has different seals. In addition, I now think I need to pull it apart and clean the terralogic valve. Like japzaz, mine isn't fully locking out any more and I suspect something is preventing the valve from closing all the way. I'm not looking forward to doing this.

Second, the 05 I bought for my SS seems to have a much smoother transition from locked out to open. The 04 wasn't bad, by any means but I could always feel a bit of a "spike" when it first opens. With the new one I don't notice this feeling. Does anybody know if they changed the valve in 05?

Bottom line, it is, in my opinion the ideal racing and SS fork, but don't expect an install and forget piece of equipment.

Mike

mtbr member
    Feb 2004

Great Fork, but not the Ultimate Fork

I had a 2004 F80x on my commuter bike and put about 5000 miles on it before it got stolen. Commuting can be fairly abusive, especially with torrential rains, weather from 25 degrees to 100 degrees, and zero maintenance.

One seal started leaking and I replaced both with Enduro seals. Problem solved.

Towards the end of its life the SPV Lockout didn't work fully and the teardown procedure (from the Enduroseals website) seemed pretty involved. So I just left it alone.

I also raced on this fork and it was a dream. No dive during sprint starts and plush over rough terrain. You get pretty exhausted during racing and it's one less thing to think about. I didn't have to think about tinkering with poploc or anything.

Would I buy again? Well, I just bought an F100x for my new build. However, I'm still considering a Reba Team / SL 100 because it is a little cheaper and a little lighter (without Poploc).