Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member

Fox F29 Remote Lockout (X-Post with 29er forum)

I spoke with Fox about whether the new remote lockouts can be used on the recently released 2009 forks and was told "I dont think they will work". They are apparently only compatible with the 26" forks

Does anyone here know if they will work on the F29's? I would think that if the top cap and internals are the same or very similar, it may indeed be compatible.

Thanks
    Ride Your Bicycle

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    If you find out anything new on this subject please post the info...I would love to have remote lockout for my F29.

Thanks

mtbr member
    Anyone know if there has been any news about a Lockout for the F29?
    Ride Your Bicycle

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    I just followed up with them and they responded with this:
    We currently have all the parts necessary to retro fit a remote lockout kit to our forks. The kit will only work for 80mm & 100mm 29’er forks and would cost approximately $150.0. Please contact us at the number below if you live in the U.S. and would like to order the kit.

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    I called Fox today and was told that they will not currently sell the lockout alone.

stl_burner
    Anyone have any updates on this subject? I would love to have a remote lockout for my 2009 F29 RLC. Thanks!

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    I bought the lock out kit through a local Fox dealer and installed it on my F29 RL. It won't work with the RLC version since it replaces the area where the Compresion dial is, among other reasons. I ended up running the right handed remote upside down by my left grip on my SS or 1x9, since it is more natural to me to push the lever up than to reach over it and pull it down. It would interfere with trigger shifters in this set up, but that's not an issue for me.

stl_burner
    Do you know if it is possible to just ditch the compression knob on my RLC and install the lockout, or is there more to it than that?

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by stlburner
    Do you know if it is possible to just ditch the compression knob on my RLC and install the lockout, or is there more to it than that?
    I'm assuming there's more to it than that, since the compression dial must attach to something in the fork and control it. If you really want the lock out badly enough, I have another Fox F29 RL that I would be willing to trade compression intenals for the F29 RLC damping cartridge. The Fox service site might shed more light on the matter:
    http://service.foxracingshox.com/consumers/index.htm

stl_burner
    I'm interested. Any idea where the "default" compression of the RL sits relative to the adjustment range on the RLC?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by kdiddy
    I'm assuming there's more to it than that, since the compression dial must attach to something in the fork and control it. If you really want the lock out badly enough, I have another Fox F29 RL that I would be willing to trade compression intenals for the F29 RLC damping cartridge. The Fox service site might shed more light on the matter:
    http://service.foxracingshox.com/consumers/index.htm
    You have to change the Dampener Cartridge to a remote lock out style.
    I think this is the dampener that will work, it is from a F120 SERIES FIT REMOTE fork.
    820-04-200-KIT Service Set: 2010 32 120 Open Bath Remote Cartridge Assy.
    I think this part number comes with the lever & cable also.

This is only my educated best guess, please verify all this with fox before ordering.

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    I just added the first two of the 3 kits to my other F29 RL:
    Kit Part # Kit Description
    820-05-054-KIT Kit: 09 32 Remote RL Topcap Assy
    820-00-248-KIT Kit: 09 Remote Lockout Lever Assy with Cable Housing and Ferrules
    820-00-204-KIT Kit: Cable Holder Assy, 09 Remote RL
    The procedure is spelled out under the above mentioned link - quick tech forks - F RL remote. The first kit replaces a few parts in the RL damper, and the second kit is the remote lever. I replaced the third kit with a zip tie around the crown of the fork.
    I'm assuming the default compression setting on the RL is equal to the RLC all the way open. The beauty of the remote is that you can run the fork open and plush when you want it, and rigid for sprinting, standing climbing, and fire roads. I use mine for every little uphill since I don't have to let go of the bars to activate it. PM me if you are interested. We could go through the local shop here that I sourced the parts from if that works for you, or we could just do the swap of the cartriges. Either way, it'll be messy and will require an oil change / refill. Just adding the lock out was simple, but swapping the cartridges is more involved.

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    Here's what it looks like installed
    Attached Images Attached Images

mtbr member

Fox Remote Lockout

Quote Originally Posted by kdiddy
    Here's what it looks like installed
    Kdiddy- been over a year since you posted this- I'm looking to add a lockout remote to two different fox forks- an F29 G2 (same as on your rig, I believe) and on a 2008 F100. Both are RL's. How's the makeshift kit holding up? Does this include some sort of spring release mechanism? I've played with making my own from an old top-mount lever and makeshift parts, but your kit is what I've been looking for- totally frustrated with Fox- they've been telling me for over a year that it is coming for aftermarket "in a few months." It would be a boon for SS's and XC racers all around. I'd love to hear how yours is working and I'm going to try to order those parts today...

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    My lock out is working fine. The only thing that is make shift is the ziptie on the fork crown, all of the other parts are Fox parts. The part that is on the top of the fork has springs in it, so it pulled thae cable back when the remote is released. These are the Fox part #'s from when I ordered it through a local shop that deals with Fox.
    Kit Part # Kit Description
    820-05-054-KIT Kit: 09 32 Remote RL Topcap Assy
    820-00-248-KIT Kit: 09 Remote Lockout Lever Assy with Cable Housing and Ferrules
    820-00-204-KIT Kit: Cable Holder Assy, 09 Remote RL
    I skipped the last part and just used the zip tie.
    I also extended my F29 80 to 100mm at the same time, so i see no reson the F29 100 wouldn't work with the kit. If you are careful, you could install the remote without replacing the fork oil, just don't let the air out of the spring side when you service the damper side, or it will compress the fork and force oil out of the top when doing the service. You obviously have to let the air out if you try to extend or decrease the travel.

mtbr member
    Totally wack. I had my LBS contact Fox to order these parts and Fox told them they were discontinued and they're working on a kit with Shimano that should be out in the spring. Ridiculous.

Just Wanna Ride!
    Feb 2004
    Any word on whether there will be a kit that will fit a 120mm F29?

mtbr member
    I think the kit that will be released in the spring will be compatible across many forks- as it was before, it was just a replacement of the topcap, a lever/ cable and a cable router thingie for the fork.

I may be putting something together after-market- if it goes to production, I'll let folks know on this forum- probably more in the area of $50-$75 instead of Fox's $150...

N2B
    mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    can it be done on a 2011 fox F 29 fit rlc 100mm ?!

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by N2B
    can it be done on a 2011 fox F 29 fit rlc 100mm ?!
    Yes,I was told today from my local fox dealer in Greece.I have a Superfly elite 2011

mtbr member
    Crosspost- check out thread here: Remote Lockout Fox RL

I have a prototype in the works for an aftermarket lockout solution for Fox 32mm RL forks. Might work with RLC, but have to test. Probably 30-60 days out.

mtbr member
    I just got a reply from Fox. Supposedly, there is no ETA on the lockout kit.

mtbr member

Aftermarket Lockout Solution

We are still working on our aftermarket kit and doing some testing on a few different models- we should have something solid before the season kicks off. I'll keep folks posted here and on the other forum (linked above).

The whole idea is a slip-on basecap and a clip-on piece for the lever (no holes to drill, no warranty violations), both lightweight but durable. We don't have a solution for the lever, so folks will have to come up with that themselves (we can point folks in the right direction), but the prototypes so far have been very promising.

Pictures below are of the most current design (which is undergoing some further modification), and the other of the first prototype mounted up (the finished product will be a little sleeker .
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Fox F29 Remote Lockout (X-Post with 29er forum)-lockout-base.jpg  

Fox F29 Remote Lockout (X-Post with 29er forum)-lockout-cap.jpg  

Fox F29 Remote Lockout (X-Post with 29er forum)-img_0468.jpg  

Always Learning
    Quote Originally Posted by alshead
    We are still working on our aftermarket kit and doing some testing on a few different models- we should have something solid before the season kicks off. I'll keep folks posted here and on the other forum (linked above).

The whole idea is a slip-on basecap and a clip-on piece for the lever (no holes to drill, no warranty violations), both lightweight but durable. We don't have a solution for the lever, so folks will have to come up with that themselves (we can point folks in the right direction), but the prototypes so far have been very promising.

Pictures below are of the most current design (which is undergoing some further modification), and the other of the first prototype mounted up (the finished product will be a little sleeker .
    Any updates on your prototype? The season is fast approaching for most of us...

mtbr member
    Hey folks- with some nicer weather the last two weeks, we had a chance to really get this thing out on the trail and test it and beat it up a bit. There are some weaknesses and we broke a couple of the slip-on bases. We're going back to the drawing board a bit and think we'll have something that will be RLC compatible and more durable in a few weeks. I know that the snow is beginning to thaw and people are anxious, but I don't want to put something out that's weak. I'll keep you posted.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast