Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Fox DHX-air release date?

2K views 25 replies 7 participants last post by  mullen119 
#1 ·
Has anyone heard any info pertaining to when this shock will be available to the average guy as an aftermarket purchase? Thanks in advance.

#4 ·
SSINGA said:
No shock for you!
What I mean spirited response! I'm going to report you to a moderator, and then go cry in a corner for a while. :eek:

But I MUST have one. I've calculated that I will drop one full pound off my bike with one [remember I have an 8.5 by 2.5 shock; much heavier than the stock rfx shock].

#6 ·
Looks like I typed my response while you were typing yours. So this is how you got 7", eh? Cool, I'll post up if I come across any info.

_MK

#8 ·
Renegade said:
What I mean spirited response! I'm going to report you to a moderator, and then go cry in a corner for a while. :eek:

But I MUST have one. I've calculated that I will drop one full pound off my bike with one [remember I have an 8.5 by 2.5 shock; much heavier than the stock rfx shock].
If the weight of .94lbs is correct for the DHX air I could loose over 1lb with that shock as well - I weighed just the body of the DHX5.0 to be .81lbs and my 600lb spring is way heavy.

#9 ·
Now that I reread that post, I do remember. These rockers still look very sweet. But hey, instead of dropping $600 or whatever the MSRP on that shock is, something close, if I remember correctly, why not spend $200 on a Ti spring and save about half of the weight you would with that shock, and still run your Pushed Vanilla? Better bang for the buck, it seems.

Plus, you could probably draw up the rockers in Solid Works and do force analysis on them, and reduce a bit of heft, although, they look sweet the way they are.

_MK

#10 ·
there is a clearance issue with the Ti springs. They have a larger O.D. than the vanilla spring. The O.D. of the ti spring will overlap the piggyback of the vanilla by .050 inches or more. A friend of mine has a ti spring on his vanilla, the spring has a flat ground across 1/3 of the coils to eliminate the interference issue. I don't know if I want to go that route. The piggyback on a dhx coil is further away from the main shock axis, so there are no interference issues there.
I've taken a lot of meat out of the rockers; there's not much more that could come out that would yield any real weight savings. That's why I was looking at the dhx-air. It would be a substantial drop from replacing one item.

#12 ·
MK_ said:
Looks like I typed my response while you were typing yours. So this is how you got 7", eh? Cool, I'll post up if I come across any info.

_MK
Hey MK, I have a question for you. I've been pondering another project. In that post about my rfx, I described where the additional travel came from; beyond the end of the stock shock stroke. My question for you is; is that possible to do with a 5 spot? Is there wheel travel available beyond two inches of shock stroke? Which happens first; does the tire hit the seat tube, or the seatstays hit the seat tube? How much additional shock shaft travel can occur before either of these items hit the frame. The front derailleur hitting the chainstays is not an issue.
I've been thinking anout making a six-spot. I know, sacreligeous. I'm going to hell anyway.

#13 ·
The Squeaky Wheel said:
Correct.
I discovered the OS Ti spring the hard way.
Ran it on my DHX. Noticed a "clunk." Looked down to discover that Ti is indeed harder than aluminum and had put a nice gauge into the reservoir. Back to a steel spring am I.
Squeak, who is OS?
I know renton makes ti springs that fit the dhx, but perhaps not in a 2.0 legnth.

#15 ·
I guess I am lucky, because my RCS spring has been behaving well on my DHX, no contact with the reservoir, or anything. Maybe this is a 6-Pack vs 5-Spot issue?

Renegade, I have been toying with the same idea. This followed FM's success making his RFX 5.75". I even ran across a Push Vanilla 7.5x2.25 sold by a guy claiming Turner sponsorship, and running it on a 5 Spot. Your idea might be different, infolving new rockers?

I'll try to take the measurements you're asking for, the only issue is with the RCS spring being a 2.25, which makes removal and insertion a major PITA.

_MK

#16 ·
MK_ said:
I guess I am lucky, because my RCS spring has been behaving well on my DHX, no contact with the reservoir, or anything. Maybe this is a 6-Pack vs 5-Spot issue?

Renegade, I have been toying with the same idea. This followed FM's success making his RFX 5.75". I even ran across a Push Vanilla 7.5x2.25 sold by a guy claiming Turner sponsorship, and running it on a 5 Spot. Your idea might be different, infolving new rockers?

I'll try to take the measurements you're asking for, the only issue is with the RCS spring being a 2.25, which makes removal and insertion a major PITA.

_MK
MK, you don't have to remove your spring. You can do it this way: support your bike in a workstand,but with the rear wheel resting on the ground, or on something solid. Remove the complete shock from the frame. You're supporting the rear wheel, so it didn't drop down. Hold a small scale up to where the shock was, line up zero with the lower shock frame mount. Lift up the rear wheel, keeping an eye on the rocker shock mount relative to the scale. Try to "stroke" the shock beyond two inches, see what hits what first. It might be your front derailleur, but I'm more interested in the other two possible collisions. How much more shock stroke was obtained before one of those two collisions occured.

Yes, my idea is that it would involve new rockers, and an 8.5 by 2.5 DHX-air.

#19 ·
Does that mean, without lights?

Renegade, I'll try to take the measurements tonight. Any change you're heading up to Lions for the ride? Looks like I can skip out a bit early today, so I'll probably head out there.

_MK

#23 ·
That's what I was thinking. Just that you mentioned that you were celebrating summer solstice made me think that you guys were going a little nuts to celebrate the daylight :D

_MK

#21 ·
MK_ said:
Does that mean, without lights?

Renegade, I'll try to take the measurements tonight. Any change you're heading up to Lions for the ride? Looks like I can skip out a bit early today, so I'll probably head out there.

_MK
MK, a couple friends are coming up to my house to ride after work. What time would you be leaving work? Can you be 7 miles up magnolia road by 5:30 ish? It will be fun.

#22 ·
Renegade said:
MK, a couple friends are coming up to my house to ride after work. What time would you be leaving work? Can you be 7 miles up magnolia road by 5:30 ish? It will be fun.
I can definatelly make that. Sounds like fun, never ridden anything on that side of the canyon.

_MK

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.