Results 1 to 44 of 44
  1. #1
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Nick_M2R's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Posts
    1,610

    Fox DHX 3/4/5 Coil Rebuild Tutorial

    Here is the link to my tutorial
    It shows how to teardown you DHX and replace oil, Main shaft and IFP seals.
    The Propedal and Rebound arnt taken apart or altered (yet)

    Link:
    http://www.mediafire.com/download.php?yigt3mzmoye

    Enjoy!

    Also im in the process of compiling a high quality seal kit that include's all of the internal o-ring seals, as well as a much higher quaility guide, with much more detailed pictures and descriptions, as well as how to replace all seals.
    Last edited by Nick_M2R; 01-27-2009 at 03:12 PM.

  2. #2
    Old school BMXer
    Reputation: Blaster1200's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    2,678
    Shut off all the freakin spam...

    ...or just post the pdfs here. I'm not downloading anything from a spam-filled site like that.
    May the air be filled with tires!

  3. #3
    Equal opportunity meanie
    Reputation: DHidiot's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Posts
    2,781
    Lee, such angst! It's not entirely spam, so some of that could be useful...

    I would like to see a way to isolate the rebound from the LSC in a DHX. No reason not to have that orifice closed off on the compression stroke.
    805

  4. #4
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Nick_M2R's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Posts
    1,610
    FYI Blaster, the reason i didnt post the pdf directly here is because the file is to large. If you got a problem downloading it from mediafire because of a bit of spam, tick off and go have a cry.

  5. #5
    Code Burr
    Reputation: thebronze's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    1,376
    Nick, great work man, thanks for posting this. I have the DHX air and was planning a rebuild. Does the air version require the nitrogen charge? Also are there shims on both sides of the piston? The shim stack can be clearly seen in the pics but i couldnt tell from orientation whether those were for compression or rebound.

  6. #6
    "El Whatever"
    Reputation: Warp's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Posts
    18,831
    Awesome work, Nick!! Congratulations and Thanks for sharing!!

    I posted it on the "Service" Sticky at the top of this page.

    If you have some more, we'll be glad to have them up here.
    Check my Site

  7. #7
    mtbr member
    Reputation: rollertoaster's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Posts
    1,107
    Just downloaded it at work. Then I emailed it to myself. That way my home pc doesn't get all the spam cookies on it.
    Team _________

  8. #8
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Nick_M2R's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Posts
    1,610
    Quote Originally Posted by thebronze
    Nick, great work man, thanks for posting this. I have the DHX air and was planning a rebuild. Does the air version require the nitrogen charge? Also are there shims on both sides of the piston? The shim stack can be clearly seen in the pics but i couldnt tell from orientation whether those were for compression or rebound.

    Yes, the DHX Air does require a nitro charge, it goes where that little white nylon plug is. Im not sure how much this guide will help you for a dhx air, as it was mainly for a coil
    I can however give you a pic of the shim stack

    The washer on the far left is the thick black plate washer that dosent flex, between that and the piston is the compression stack, on the right of the piston is the rebound stack.
    Hope this helps mate
    Cheers
    Attached Images Attached Images

  9. #9
    Code Burr
    Reputation: thebronze's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    1,376
    Strange looking compression stack, seems like a serious two stage setup.

  10. #10
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Posts
    2,029
    The white plug has nothing to do with air or nitro, it is an oil bleed. The only gas (air) in a DHX goes in the schrader valve in the res.

  11. #11
    Equal opportunity meanie
    Reputation: DHidiot's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Posts
    2,781
    Yeah, that's definitely not the stock stack.
    805

  12. #12
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Nick_M2R's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Posts
    1,610
    davep: I was talking about a DHX Air, ther is a nitro charge under that white plug. On the coil, you are correct, only gas is what you put in the boost valve

    DHidiot: That is a stock stack from a 09 DHX. I havent altered the shim stack (yet) from its stock version because i cant find a place to buy shims from

  13. #13
    Code Burr
    Reputation: thebronze's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    1,376
    try mx-tech.com for shims, the've taken good care of me for my marzocchi tst2 mod.

  14. #14
    squish is good
    Reputation: Clutchman83's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Posts
    4,933
    Great guide Nick, better than some factory manuals IMO.
    Bike good, work bad.

  15. #15
    Equal opportunity meanie
    Reputation: DHidiot's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Posts
    2,781
    Wow....that seems very very odd for them to put a 2 stage stack in a stock damper, mainly because they wear down a lot faster.

    Would you mind getting measurements of that stack at some point?
    805

  16. #16
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Nick_M2R's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Posts
    1,610
    I have just reassembled my shock, and dont intend to take it part again for a while. However give me some info of what you want measured and i gladly will measure it next time i have it apart

  17. #17
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Nick_M2R's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Posts
    1,610
    I have just reassembled my shock, and dont intend to take it part again for a while. However give me some info of what you want measured and i gladly will measure it next time i have it apart

  18. #18
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    2

    Fox DHX 3/4/5 Coil Rebuild Tutorial

    Thanks Nick for the work you did on this tutorial. I just finished putting my shock on the rig and test riding around town. It is simply BUTTER. I used Red Line 10wt, which I have found to be the best brand fork and shock oil in the business. I found all the O-rings at my local Western States Cat dealer. They stock more O-rings then you can shake a stick at, and are cheap.

    Cheers

  19. #19
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Nick_M2R's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Posts
    1,610
    Quote Originally Posted by Fatcrobat
    Thanks Nick for the work you did on this tutorial. I just finished putting my shock on the rig and test riding around town. It is simply BUTTER. I used Red Line 10wt, which I have found to be the best brand fork and shock oil in the business. I found all the O-rings at my local Western States Cat dealer. They stock more O-rings then you can shake a stick at, and are cheap.

    Cheers
    Thanks for the reply mate, good to here your shock works great now

  20. #20
    mtbr member
    Reputation: cort's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    892
    Nick,
    Good job and thanks for sharing!

  21. #21
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Posts
    602
    Quote Originally Posted by DHidiot
    Lee, such angst! It's not entirely spam, so some of that could be useful...

    I would like to see a way to isolate the rebound from the LSC in a DHX. No reason not to have that orifice closed off on the compression stroke.
    it can be done, send it in to push and they will change the bolt to one that is closed off on compression "powertrac" valve is how they put it I believe.

  22. #22
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Posts
    25
    excellent guide, thanks for sharing

  23. #23
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Posts
    108
    Thanks for the effort, this will be a life/$ saver.

  24. #24
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    2

    Fox DHX 5. coil IFP depth

    So I would like to know if anyone has gone to the work of cataloging, or has access to the IFP depth for all of the Fox DHX 5. coils? I have a 8.75 x 2.75 on my 2008 Santa Cruz V10 and am engaging to test different depths after rebuild, and record changes in suspension "feel"
    I'll also be testing the use of Nitrogen in the air chamber, and infusing the oil to remove all the air.

    Cheers

  25. #25
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Posts
    1
    Great tutorial, thanks for sharing!

  26. #26
    mtbr member
    Reputation: darkzeon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Posts
    480
    Great Job! Thanks for this, I can now work on my own shock!
    Folangag

  27. #27
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Posts
    257
    Wow! Great stuff!!! thank you for compiling such fine info!

  28. #28
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Nick_M2R's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Posts
    1,610
    Im taking this offline for awhile, making changes

  29. #29
    Evlkneevljr
    Reputation: daverach2478's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    199
    Let us know when it's back up! I saw this before you took it off there and you did a fantastic job! Wondering if you or anyone has taken the body off the res? I heard of someone shortening the body to reduce the eye to eye length. I'm thinking of doing this for my Uzzi to lower the BB and change the geo a bit. I guess it can be done (but, not more than 5mm, I guess).
    I like bacon.

  30. #30
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Nick_M2R's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Posts
    1,610
    Quote Originally Posted by daverach2478
    Let us know when it's back up! I saw this before you took it off there and you did a fantastic job! .
    Cheers mate

    Might be a little longer, as i have exams for the next week so no time to keep working on the guide for now, when there finished though, ill be back into it

    The new one is coming along nicely

    Got new info, changed some processes to make it easier, and to answer the peoples complaints of bad quality photos im now using my dads Nikon D200 DSLR camera with a big mofo of a lens, tripod (brilliant things!!!), set on macro closeup focus, super fine quality raw format pictures, ill have to compress the file when its done

    Also now that ive figured out how to get microsoft office to play nice with vista (biggest POS since Hayes El Camino's) the document will be proeprly formatted and no spelling mistakes

  31. #31
    mtbr member
    Reputation: dowst's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    2,705
    Quote Originally Posted by Nick_M2R
    Cheers mate

    Might be a little longer, as i have exams for the next week so no time to keep working on the guide for now, when there finished though, ill be back into it

    The new one is coming along nicely

    Got new info, changed some processes to make it easier, and to answer the peoples complaints of bad quality photos im now using my dads Nikon D200 DSLR camera with a big mofo of a lens, tripod (brilliant things!!!), set on macro closeup focus, super fine quality raw format pictures, ill have to compress the file when its done

    Also now that ive figured out how to get microsoft office to play nice with vista (biggest POS since Hayes El Camino's) the document will be proeprly formatted and no spelling mistakes
    Just so you know, the white plug at the bottom of the shock body on the DHX Air is just a plug covering an oil bleed valve. There is no nitrogen inside the DHX Air, anywhere. None.

    I've taken many apart.

  32. #32
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Nick_M2R's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Posts
    1,610
    Yea, that was my mistake
    I know now there isnt any nitro in the DHX air

  33. #33
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    12
    sorry but i cannot open it, it doesn't work do you have an other link? please? thanks

  34. #34
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Nick_M2R's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Posts
    1,610
    Quote Originally Posted by THEbeber
    sorry but i cannot open it, it doesn't work do you have an other link? please? thanks
    Hi mate
    yea it dosent work because ive taken it offline while im in the process of writing a new one. Id rather people wait so they can download the new one rather the old one, as the new one is much more detailed, much better quality pictures, and some little changes to the procedure using info ive recieved from other since i put the old one up. Its been delayed a little as im in exam period, last one is on wednesday so ill be in full swing after that in getting this , i hope to have it up by next weekend at the latest.

    Sorry for the delay guys, i promise the wait will be worth it

  35. #35
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    12
    ok nick thanks a lot

  36. #36
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    91
    Thanks, I am waiting for your re-edition file!

  37. #37
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Posts
    238
    nick, the bleed instructions were awesome, thanks so much. I need to make the shock run with a 2.0" stroke instead of the 2.25 it has now. How should I shim it, and what should I use for shims? Should I just put .25 of spacers under the bump stop? Or if I pop the piston off the body, is there a better place to shim? Thanks again,
    Hunter

  38. #38
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Nick_M2R's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Posts
    1,610
    Quote Originally Posted by 300hp
    nick, the bleed instructions were awesome, thanks so much. I need to make the shock run with a 2.0" stroke instead of the 2.25 it has now. How should I shim it, and what should I use for shims? Should I just put .25 of spacers under the bump stop? Or if I pop the piston off the body, is there a better place to shim? Thanks again,
    Hunter
    hi mate
    Glad to hear it worked for ya
    Ive never actually thought about shimming the dhx down, i suppose its possible..
    Id reckon that the best place to put the shim would be between the bottom plate shim and between the shaft end cap ( the thing that houses the main shaft seal )
    But before you do it, id check with others first just to make sure that it will work and no damage will result

    Also this is a link to my new updated thread on rebuilding the DHX

    The Fox DHX 3/4/5 Coil Rebuild Thread

    Hope this helps!

  39. #39
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    1
    Hey, i'm trying to service my shock at the moment, when i try to remove the shaft cap the whole shaft housing rotates in the base (the bit that joins the shaft and piggy back) - any tips. I don't want to overtighten the vice and damage the shaft housing, its already quite tight. I'm trying to get hold of a clamp of some sort but its not easy, making one from wood but not sure how it'll work.

    Great guide !

    Cheers
    Blair

  40. #40
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Posts
    828

    New question here.

    Quote Originally Posted by blair81
    Hey, i'm trying to service my shock at the moment, when i try to remove the shaft cap the whole shaft housing rotates in the base (the bit that joins the shaft and piggy back) - any tips. I don't want to overtighten the vice and damage the shaft housing, its already quite tight. I'm trying to get hold of a clamp of some sort but its not easy, making one from wood but not sure how it'll work.

    Great guide !

    Cheers
    Blair
    LOL THATS THE EXACT SAME PROBLEM I HAD LAST NIGHT WITH MINE !!!!! got a new spring coming (maybe here today ) and figured time to pull it down and new oil etc..... but alas the same problem stopped me dead.. im gonna try the wood block trick and see if i can get it to hold long enough to break it loose.....

  41. #41
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Posts
    172
    I just did mine, thanks for the instructions Nick.

  42. #42
    bump and grind
    Reputation: cobym2's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Posts
    705
    I clicked the link and it said the file was removed. Nick, can you repost?

  43. #43
    Fat Is Where It's At Moderator
    Reputation: DiRt DeViL's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    5,323
    Got this:

    Invalid or Deleted File
    The key you provided for file download was invalid. This is usually caused because the file is no longer stored on Mediafire. This occurs when the file is removed by the originating user or Mediafire. If you believe you have reached this page in error, please contact support.
    Click here to view our help resources





    Related q, does the spring size of a DHX varies from other models?

    Got a stiffer one for my DHX 3 and didn't fit the body.

  44. #44
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Nick_M2R's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Posts
    1,610
    This is a link to the old thread from last year, i have since made a new guide and a dedicated thread for the dhx rebuild

    Here it is

    The Fox DHX 3/4/5 Coil Rebuild Thread

    This is the thread to post in

    Enjoy!

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •