Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    mtbr member

The Fox DHX 3/4/5 Coil Rebuild Thread

Hi all

Here is the 3rd Version of my Fox DHX 3/4/5 Rebuild Guide
    Also Included is a file containing higher resolution pictures of the pics used in the guide, this is to be used in conjunction with the tutorial should you need to see higher resolution pictures

This Guide shows you how to take apart and change the oil and o-rings in a Fox DHX 5 coil shock. Rebound and Propedal assemblies are not taken apart, as special tools are required. If you have dead propedal or rebound assembly, this guide wont help sorry

Make sure you download and read through the tutorial carefully before commencing work on your shock

================================================== ===============

Shock Models Supported;
    2005 - 2009 Fox DHX 3/4/5 Coils

NOTE: CERTAIN DHX 5 THAT CAME STOCK ON SPECIALIZED SX TRAILS HAVE UNADJUSTABLE BOOST VALVES, MEANING THERE IS NO AIR VALVE FOR YOU TO ADJUST, INSTEAD THEY ARE FACTORY CHARGED WITH NITROGEN

DO NOT ATTEMPT TO SERVICE THESE SHOCKS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Download Links:
    ( I know the hosting sites arnt liked by many people, but sorry it will have to do for now )

Guide:
    http://www.mediafire.com/download.php?zykdj1ttmae

Hi Resolution Picture File:
    http://www.mediafire.com/download.php?zzzrnvzmytz

Enjoy boys and girls

Also if you use this guide please report your success, also CONSTRUCTIVE critisim is welcomed, oh, and do not ***** about how i used a shifting wrench, its all i had, use a spanner if you wish

Cheers!

ride hard take risks
    Very well done Nick_M2R
    Formotion Products
    http://www.formot

mtbr member
    Nice work. I laughed pretty hard when I saw my own guides in your references.
    Owner of www.shockcraft.co.nz and NZ Manitou Service Agent.
    www.dougal.co.nz Suspension setup & tuning.
    SPV Devolve

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Dougal
    Nice work. I laughed pretty hard when I saw my own guides in your references.
    Haha Yea hope you dont mind

All that info you had was awesome
    I learned alot from it and thought you deserved some recognition for it so i included references to it, so hopefully others can learn from it to, hope you dont mind me putting it there

Still great work on all that info

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Nick_M2R
    Haha Yea hope you dont mind

All that info you had was awesome
    I learned alot from it and thought you deserved some recognition for it so i included references to it, so hopefully others can learn from it to, hope you dont mind me putting it there

Still great work on all that info
    Not at all. I've just fixed the links in my signature so that info is back up for everyone to see.
    SPV Devolve

ride hard take risks
    Either of you have experience rebuilding the Travis 203 Intrinsic Air fork???
    Formotion Products

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by dogonfr
    Either of you have experience rebuilding the Travis 203 Intrinsic Air fork???
    I have a travis dual crown sitting downstairs unused. I've owned it for almost 3 years now.
    Sadly I haven't ridden or wrenched it yet. Just one of the problems of owning half as many bikes as forks and shocks.
    SPV Devolve

mtbr member
    Haha not me sorry Dogon, only every worked on Fox DHX Airs and coils, and assorted rockshox and Marzocchi forks

ride hard take risks
    Ya Im finding their are only a small handful of people that have the experience with the Intrinsic.
    Formotion Products

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    i have a 06 sx trail that i opened up before i saw that warning .
    i have acquired a valve with a schreader valve in it, is it ok to fill the shock with nitrogen?

Also when i rebuild the shock i think it is topping out? when the shock finishes its rebound i get a little clunk, then when i open it all up the shim stack has some how unsqrewed itself from the piston.....

very confusing....

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Chullum
    i have a 06 sx trail that i opened up before i saw that warning .
    i have acquired a valve with a schreader valve in it, is it ok to fill the shock with nitrogen?

Also when i rebuild the shock i think it is topping out? when the shock finishes its rebound i get a little clunk, then when i open it all up the shim stack has some how unsqrewed itself from the piston.....

very confusing....
    Does your frame have the room to use that schrader valve?
    The rebound needle seat is the bolt that holds the piston and shims on. So if that bolt starts to loosen then the rebound clunk is one of the first signs.
    SPV Devolve

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    yes the frame has clearance for the schrader valve, i just have to take the shock off if i want to change the air pressure.

and yes i do get a rebound clunk so i assume that it is unscrewing itself before i take it apart.

but i dont understand why or how it is doing this? i am only tightening the screw hand tight as i dont want to limit the flex of the shims.

mtbr member
    yes the frame has clearance for the schrader valve, i just have to take the shock off if i want to change the air pressure.

and yes i do get a rebound clunk so i assume that it is unscrewing itself before i take it apart.

but i dont understand why or how it is doing this? i am only tightening the screw hand tight as i dont want to limit the flex of the shims.
    It takes more than hand-tight to keep the piston in place. It's basically a 1/4" bolt so something like 6-9Nm would be needed.

The shims are meant to have their inner diameter clamped between the shaft and the backing washer. Don't worry about them.
    SPV Devolve

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    ah i understand, do you think i should locktight the bolt in aswell or is this unadvised?

mtbr member
    ah i understand, do you think i should locktight the bolt in aswell or is this unadvised?
    I'd be concerned about locktite getting into places it shouldn't be (like the rebound needle). Just tighten it up snug and it should be fine.
    SPV Devolve

ride hard take risks
    The gel LockTight used carefully is awesome,
    Formotion Products

mtbr member
    Try to avoid locktight, as it may seep into the rebound shaft a seize it, which would not be fun. Try what dougal said, tighten it a tad more, BUT DO NOT GET OVER EXCITED WITH THE TORQUE

mtbr member
    Thanks M2R for the grunt work on this post, well done. Will try this out this week using your step by step guide. I have been wanting to do this for sometime now. No sense paying PUSH for there service (except for the mods). Thanks.
    JRA

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by helimech
    Thanks M2R for the grunt work on this post, well done. Will try this out this week using your step by step guide. I have been wanting to do this for sometime now. No sense paying PUSH for there service (except for the mods). Thanks.
    No prob mate, just make sure your read it carefully before doing work on your shock

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    I blew a seal on my DHX 4 coil and just followed your guide and rebuilt it, had no problems rebuilding it, but after I put it on my bike the shock definitely isn't the same as before, it has compression and the rebound works, but when I'm just bouncing on the bike the shock feels stiffer at the beginning and end of bounce and is making a noise, its not as plush. I'm guessing I still have air in my shock but wanted to check first? Do I just need to do a bleed or maybe I tightened the piston shim too much?

mtbr member
    I think you may have done the piston bolt up to much, it seems as if it may be crushing the shims, try loosening it off alittle. With regards to the noises, if its a squelching noise, there is air in the shock, try giving it another bleed

Post up how it goes, it should work out for you

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    Thanks for the guide nick, yeah it was the piston bolt being too tight. This time I turned it hand tight, then another 1/8 of a turn or less. When taking my shock apart the 2nd time when I was loosening the shaft cap it was turning the whole shaft, which caused the piston bolt inside to unwind in the shock, thus when i pulled the piston out all of the shim bits were at the bottom of the shaft, I heard them drop and said "oh ****", I got it back together though and it is super plush and working awesome now. So to your guide you could add to hold the piston while unscrewing the shaft cap, and you should probably hold it while screwing it back down.

mtbr member
    Cheers mate, glad to hear it worked out for ya!

mtbr member
    Aug 2006
    I have a 08 Specialized SX trail with a DHX 4.0. Do you know if that shock is fillied with nitrogen?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Buoyen
    I have a 08 Specialized SX trail with a DHX 4.0. Do you know if that shock is fillied with nitrogen?
    If they're is an air valve of the resi, you can service the shock. If they're is no air valve, sorry but you won't be able to service it without special tools

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast