mtbr member

Fox CTD shock leaking oil

I have a 2013 Fox CTD shock that is leaking oil. The shock holds air and the dampening works fine, but it continues to leak the green fox fluid.

I had the bike to my LBS where I purchased the bike. They thought maybe something got into the seal so they took the shock off cleaned it and refilled. It seemed to be okay for a ride, but it is now pissing out oil again.

The shock is less than 2 months old and under warranty. I was told that it would be 2-3 weeks if I sent it out to Fox for warranty repair. WTF!!

Any simple fix or do I need to send it to Fox?

mtbr member
    where exactly is it leaking?

mtbr member
    Send it to Fox Service yourself, not through the LBS. They will do the warranty work in 6-8 days.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by ktm520 View Post
    where exactly is it leaking?
    Running down rear shock stanchion to the point it is dripping on frame.

mtbr member
    How many times have you ridden it since they did the can service? It's normal for it puke float fluid between the can and stanchion for awhile after a can service. It will keep puking until it pushes all of the float fluid out of the air can. Sounds like they may have put too much oil in the can. It only needs a couple cc's, not the whole 5cc in float blister pack. If it holds air through a ride, I wouldn't worry about it. The damper fluid is red in color.

mtbr member
    I've taken 3 rides for a total of approx. 50 miles not including some lift served riding I did the other day.

I think they put the recommended 5cc in the shock. Like I said, the shock holds air and the dampening works. My main concern was damaging the shock, when all the Fox fluid leaks out.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by knobby1 View Post
    I've taken 3 rides for a total of approx. 50 miles not including some lift served riding I did the other day.

I think they put the recommended 5cc in the shock. Like I said, the shock holds air and the dampening works. My main concern was damaging the shock, when all the Fox fluid leaks out.
    I'd have to double check, but 5cc is way too much. I believe it is only 2cc for Fox and RS recommends less than 1cc. IME, 1cc is plenty to keep things smooth for 50hrs. It doesn't hurt anything to put in more, but it will just pump it out in short order. Sounds like everything is normal to me. Keep any eye on your pressure. If it starts leaking down through the ride, then I'd be concerned.

mtbr member

Fox CTD shock leaking oil

I had this exact issue on my 2012. LBS sent it to fox once...got it back, started leaking again. Sent it back out, got it back in 2 weeks and has been working since - 2 months. Fingers crossed. Just make fox do it!

D_K
    mtbr member
    Dec 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by ktm520 View Post
    It's normal for it puke float fluid between the can and stanchion for awhile after a can service. It will keep puking until it pushes all of the float fluid out of the air can.
    This is what my LBS told me as well. I have a 2013 CTD Kashima rear shock and it weeps a noticeable amount of fluid but they said it's just what they do until their seals get settled / dried out a little bit and the chamber gets cleared out. I didn't buy the bike from them and was willing to pay them to rip it apart, so it's not like they had a reason to BS me.

mtbr member
    Thanks for the replies! Since the shock is working fine, I think I will keep an eye on things and keep riding.