Thread: Fox CTD = POS

mtbr member
    Apr 2011

Fox CTD = POS

Put my 5th ride on a newly installed 34 Float 160 and i have to wonder..... Did anyone at Fox actually ride one of these things before releasing it???

So by "simplifying" the tuning process with this CTD gimmick they have a fork that essentially forces you to live with either no small bump complance OR ride in marshmello mode where the fork dives so bad on braking its borderline dangerous.

But wait... theres more.... Thers is ABSOLUTELY no progression to the overall dampening so on larger hits it blows thru stroke and bottoms... Bad.... Regardless of what psi you run.

Im so freakin sick of taking out my shock pump and trying different settings to no avail..

Does anyone know how to at least make this thing have some progression to the dampening? To my knowledge theres no different volume air sleeves (which i feel would make a huge improvement) I also believe that it shouldnt necessitate a $300 revalve job to get it to work properly. Thats just not acceptable.

I will say that in terms of rigidity it is a VAST improvement over the flexible flyer 32 series i replaced. Its amazing how stiffening up the front end took the wallowy feel out of my Giant Reign both on slow speed techy stuff to fast downhill conditions.

Sorry for sounding rantish but its $1000 guys and on the most rudimentary level this thing.... well..... sucks

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    I never understood why they went with the 3 settings, there is no way to adjust it properly while riding, it kind of reminds me of the older Talas 32 and 36 which had 3 settings and it was next to impossible to get them into the middle travel setting while riding.

Dose the decend blow through the mid travel? I have a 2012 float 32 150 so just curious

mtbr member
    440 I totally agree, I miss my 2012 float as far as dampening goes but totally love the 34mm stanchions. I've pretty much just leave the lever in trail mode as the descend mode blows through the travel and has crazy scary brake dive lol. Lots of trial and error with this ctd stuff and I'm not happy with it either. 160mm 34 factory float fork by the way.

mtbr member
    fish,

What's your rider weight, current air pressure, and rebound position?

Darren

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    I'm right around 200# geared up to ride.

Yesterday I settled in at 87# psi and 7 out on the rebound. This is running it in descend mode full time and it sags correctly.
    Honestly if it didn't dive so bad in descend I could live with it.

In trail mode I am in the 80# range with a little less rebound.

MattSavage
    Quote Originally Posted by 440fish View Post

Sorry for sounding rantish but its $1000 guys and on the most rudimentary level this thing.... well..... sucks
    oooohh.... I feel for you, but I still have to laugh, hahahhaha...! That sucks!

Anything preset on a suspension product is a bad idea. So many different bikes under so many different riders and so many terrain variety's... WTF is Fox thinking? They're thinking "These guys are dumb, we're lazy and greedy, it's a win/win!!! $-)
    "I wrote a hit play! What have you ever done?!"

Have Ashtray, Will Travel....

mtbr member
    I'm 194 geared up and have psi around 85 and this fork is on a 2012 specialized stumpy evo expert. I tried that ird fox app and since this fork doesn't sag much at that psi it was telling me to go down to 60 psi which I did for one ride. Blew through travel and bottomed out allot obviously. But will say the small bump compliance was quite nice. So I keep her at about 85 88 psi and she works allot better on the big stuff and brake dive is reduced greatly in descend mode.

mtbr member
    Add some oil to the air spring chamber to make it ramp up faster and avoid bottom out

mtbr member
    May 2011
    I will try to avoid that CTD damper...currently I'm running RC2 but they're only available on 36 forks. I will go without lockout anyday to get better trail tuning. I didn't really like the RLC on my older 36 Float....RC2 much nicer.

I had a Reign and ran a 36 160 and loved it. If you can't get what you want out of that 34, get a 36 160 and lower it to 150 and it will be awesome on that bike.

As Yody said: get some Fox Fluid Pillow Packs and start adding a little to the air spring. This will make a big difference to the spring curve.