• 06-05-2012
    300hp
    Fox air shock replacement stanchion question
    Yozers.

So, I have a float RP2 that needs service. I also have a DHX air that runs well, but has some nasty damage on the stanchion.

Both shocks are the same eye to eye and stroke. Both shocks are from around the same period (2007-2008)

I have bled air piggyback shocks before with great success.

In an effort to put together a pimpin' dhx air (proper bleed, really good oil, small volume rp23 air can) I want to know: Can I use the stanchion from the rp2 on the DHX air? Are they the same, or is there some internal difference I don't know about?

thanks!
    Hunter
  • 12-08-2012
    donpinpon29
    I ha e the same dammn question so please somebody answer
  • 12-08-2012
    300hp
    After researching assembly drawings, an RP series shock and a DHX air of the same eye to eye use the same part number for the stanchion, so they should be cross compatible.

Note, if you do this, that the rubber pellet in the RP series shock has been pierced to charge the IFP, and the RP stanchion will have the IFP in it you will need to remove before using on a dhx air.

**the stanchion of the RP is under pressure. You'll blast yourself and be an unhappy panda if you are not really careful depressurizing it. If this remotely makes you nervous, you really shouldn't do it. Its under, like, 400psi of pressure, so you've got a good margin to hurt yourself with.

the DHX will not have the IFP in the stanchion, and the rubber pellet is NOT pierced. If you are rebuilding either one, you want to use the fresh pellet off of the DHX stanchion.

hope this helps. I have not been able to find a way to get fox replacement parts, other than scavenging off of used stuff.

The RP shocks require a needle to nitro fill, which is a whole can of worms I have not been able to get around. search it for answers. Since the DHX does not, it is easy to service at home, and there are instructions posted on how to refill one and get a proper bleed on it.
  • 12-09-2012
    donpinpon29
    Thanks a lot for the info. Looks great, Im trying to put a 7,875 x 2,25 stroke rp stanchion into a 7.875 x 2 dhx5 air. Gone through the Can of worms and is so stupid that I decided to build my own schrader valve. Soon I'll have it done. Dhx looks a breeze to service against an rp series. Check the following thread, is interesting, and thanks again for your help.

http://forums.mtbr.com/shocks-suspen...ck-643165.html
  • 12-09-2012
    300hp
    yup, checked that, decided I didn't want to deal with it, not when the marzocchi and rockshox products work so much better out of the box and are user serviceable without all the BS.

as an aside, when you are rebuilding it and have everything apart, you might as well throw a coil shock bottom out bumper on the piston shaft (big hit kit style) it'll give you some ramp up at the end of the stroke while reducing the air can volume to get rid of the plow thru feeling that shock has. Fox specs 10wt oil in the damper (torco) with a CSt of 47. There are 4 shims on the compression side, 2 .7" and 2 .6".

There are a variety of ways to bleed it. Fox essentailly has you fill both halves of the shock full, screw it together, then crack the bleed port by the rebound knob. They accomplish the final bleed by pushing the IFP to the correct depth with the ifp bleed screw inserted, and the bleed screw up by the rebound cracked. Submerged bleed is best if are you are going to use cheap fluid, and you can always do the fill the piggyback and cycle until all the air is out method (what I usually go with.)

I was going to mess with the schrader thing, but I decided not to, considering I can sell a working used fox shock and by a new manitou revox, new take off monarch, or new roco LO.

Once you give up on the dhx, try the roco tst air. It is an underrated and incredible shock. THe only saving grace for having a working DHX AIR (why I'm going thru this crap) is that craig at avalanche has a SSD custom tune for them now, which will hopefully fix things up.
  • 12-09-2012
    300hp
    PS, the difference in stroke from the two comes from the bearing housing (the part you put the wrench on to unscrew the damper from the stanchion) the one on your 2" stroke shock is .25" longer than on the other one....you'll see when you get in there. I assume you can switch those between shocks as well if oyu want a longer travel dhx
  • 12-11-2012
    donpinpon29
    Is it possible to buy the bearing housing that is 7 mm shorter from Fox for the dhx and get the extra travel?

So you mean the difference in stroke is the height of the bearing housing?? Amazing, didn't stop to think before. It could be possible to machine and lower it to get the extra travel? (7 mm) I guess. I think I'gonna try that with the rp2. I go a spec. Afr because It was 200x 57 but ended up servicing that one too (missing damping oil)