mtbr member
    Apr 2007

Fox 80 RTL 2006 vs. FSA Orbit MX headset

I got a new FSA Orbit MX headset and now I'm trying to mount my Fox 80 RTL fork on the bike. However the last (or bottom) aluminium ring of the headset assembly does not seem to fit the fork because the diameter of the fork crown tube (ehh... the long stick going through the frame) is sligthly larger at the last half an inch, so the alu-ring is too small and does not slide all the way to the bottom.

What's wrong?

Best regards,
    Sören Ebbesen, Switzerland

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    Nothing's wrong. The bottom race of a headset needs to fit extremely tight on the steerer tube. That's why the steerer tube flares out or is stepped at its base. Park Tool and other manufacturers sell tools to seat headset races, it is essentially nothing more than a big heavy pipe that is just slightly larger than the OD of the steerer tube and acts as a slide hammer to bang the race down and seat it firmly at the base of the steerer tube.

This needs to be done. If you do not seat it firmly enough and install your headset, once you start riding the forces on the race will slowly force it downward, thereby causing your headset to come loose or causing some other problems. If races simply slid down easily, you would constantly feel a tiny bit of play, so they need to be hammered into place.

So, go to a hardware store, find a 6" long piece of HEAVY pipe that just barely fits over your steerer tube, but is still narrow enough that it contacts the lower race. Put the lower race on your steerer tube (make sure it is facing the right way) push it down as far as it will go, then put the piece of pipe over that and then slide the pipe down rapidly and forcefully onto the race, hammer it down as far as it will go. I sometimes put a bit of grease onto the lower part of the steerer tube beforehand just to make it easier and to make sure that no gouges come out of softer aluminum steerer tubes.

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    Of course!! Thanks!

/sebbesen