Old N Slow

Fox 40 RC2 Hybrid

My Trek came with a Fox 40 up front, at which I set up according to Treks set up tool on their website. I had put in a Yellow spring for my weight since it came with the black spring As my weight is close to 240 with riding gear on. The problem I'm having is getting the sag set. Going but the set up tool the fork should have 45-55 PSI of air in it. With the air and the spring I'm only getting about a 1/4 inch of sag. If I let the air out of the fork I'm getting about 1/2-5/8 of an inch. For my weight the sag should be 1.2-2.0 of sag. What gives? I'm new to DH, so should I just ditch the charts settings an wing it? Or take it to a suspension shop?

What?
    Charts are just guides, set it up to get what feels right. make sure you have your compression setting fully open when checking your sag.

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by mullen119 View Post
    Charts are just guides, set it up to get what feels right. make sure you have your compression setting fully open when checking your sag.
    Newbs dont know how it should feel, so benchmarking to "what feels right" doesnt help.

Set it to sag and go from there. Generally, slower riders ride softer springs than recommended. As you gain speed with experience, keep that stock spring handy.

Old N Slow
    After talking with some people, I've been told that the Hybrid should have the Black spring in it. Not the yellow one I had installed for my weight range. This is where the Hybrid part come into play with the air pressure making up the difference of the spring. The shop I had do the work IMO should have know that, live and learn.