mtbr member
    Aug 2005

Fox 36 Float 160 FIT RLC Anyone have quality time on one?

Anyone have some time on this fork and care to share their thoughts?
    I'm currently on an '06 36 VAN RC2 It's been a great fork, but it's 5.45 pounds,
    and my inner weight weenie is really drawn to the 4.49 pound weight of the 160 RLC.
    That's almost a pound off of the front end

I'm 145-150 pounds fully geared up and ride pretty agressively, but this would be used
    for an "XC" build on a 2010 Giant Reign X (I'd still keep the VAN.)

I've read the Singletrack review:
    http://www.singletrackworld.com/revi...t-160-fit-rlc/

and the one review here on mtbr, anyone else?

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    Around 10 rides so far. Its a great fork, and really easy to adjust. It keeps the front end really light, despite my bikes over all weight sitting at 34lbs. Heres a couple of shots of it on my BR:
    http://vorar.pinkbike.com/album/Bottlerocket/

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    Wow - Great looking Bottlerocket Vorar!

Have any comparisons to other forks, or is this a fresh build on the BR?
    So how does it ride with little to no compression adjustment?
    And I'm guessing that a bit of threshold adjustment and some lockout gives a fair amount of compression for the bigger hits?

Rider
    Apr 2010
    I have been running a 2011 Fox 36 TALAS 160 FIT RLC (Kashima) on my Nomad Carbon for a few months now. Everything is good but it took quite a while to dial it down. The recommended pressure is way too high, I weigh almost 200 pounds ready to ride and the air spring pressure that suits me is 10 psi lower than recommended. The guys at my LBS say that it is an issue with the first batch of Kashima forks, don’t know if it’s true though…

The other problem I had is that the fork developed a creak between the steerer tube and the crown. Fox is took care of that and sent me a replacement set.

All things considered I am very happy with the fork, It performs very well and gives me a lot of confidence.

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    bump - anyone else?

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    I'm surprised theres not more reviews for this fork out there. I'm still looking for the right balance between small bump compliance and dive resistance. Still haven't had enough time on it. This is a fresh build and I've never had a nice tunable fork before this one so I'm still learning how to tune it. Rebound is easy, its the air spring pressure and low speed compresion I need to get dialed in together.

steep fast and loose :)
    Will add my thoughts a little later... are you in the UK ?

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    ^^ lol...I wish, currently iced over and snowed in, in North Canton, Ohio USA

Team Chilidog!
    I just got one. I love my Van, but it doesn't run at 140mm like you can reduce the 36 Float. Since Fox no longer makes any short travel coil forks, I'm either using a Fox 36 Float with reducers. So I'm selling my Van and I installed the Float 36 with 140mm spacers.

What I can tell you: It's really not that much lighter than the Van. According to Fox's website, the Float 36 is 4.49 lb / 2.04 kg, and the Van 36 is 5.13 lb / 2.33 kg. There's maybe a half pound difference on the forks.

I'm still breaking mine in, and if it behaves like the F120 RLC 2011 on my XC bike, I'm going to have to change the settings again once it gets broken in.

It's nice, but it's not the Van. The Van is much more plush. However, it's still better than the 36 Floats from previous years. Both of these forks are 2011 that I have. If I could have a Van 36 at 140mm, I would be very happy, but the goal of suspension companies is to keep increasing travel, not what the shorter travel customers may want.
    MTB4Her.com: mountain bike site for women, by women

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    Well, my inner weight weenie won - I broke down and ordered one.
    I guess I'll add my review once the trails thaw/dry out here and I get some time on it!

mtbr member
    May 2010
    Please do, I'm really interested in either a 160 Van or Float for my Remedy, I'm just not sure which would be better for AM riding, the Van's sensitivity or the Floats weight saving?

GAME ON!
    i currently have one in the mail. should be here next week. i am in the same weight range as you, deoreo, and i can't wait for it.

mtbr member
    May 2010
    What bike are you putting in on?

GAME ON!
    Quote Originally Posted by ruds
    What bike are you putting in on?
    if this was meant for me, a 09 enduro.

mtbr member
    I wrote a bit about mine in my MojoHD review, its a talas if that matters too you.

mtbr member
    May 2010
    The Talas has a reputation for more stiction than the Float is that correct? I'm not sure if I'd go for the Talas because of the added stiction I've read about, all things being equal I'd love the ability to lower it but I really want the small bump sensitivity.

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by saturnine
    i currently have one in the mail. should be here next week. i am in the same weight range as you, deoreo, and i can't wait for it.
    Cool - it'll be interesting to hear your impressions, too. 09 Enduro, nice bike, I have a little demo time on one of them, very cool, carbon frame?
    It's been like 6 years since I've been on an air fork, regularly. The VAN 36 and Pike coils in the stable currently. This should be fun...can't wait to ride it.

Edit: Yody, just read the HD/Talas review - great review! Thanks for the info.
    Last edited by deoreo; 02-18-2011 at 08:25 AM.

GAME ON!
    Quote Originally Posted by deoreo
    Cool - it'll be interesting to hear your impressions, too. 09 Enduro, nice bike, I have a little demo time on one of them, very cool, carbon frame?
    It's been like 6 years since I've been on an air fork, regularly. The VAN 36 and Pike coils in the stable currently. This should be fun...can't wait to ride it.

Edit: Yody, just read the HD/Talas review - great review! Thanks for the info.
    aluminum. i've always ridden air forks because i'm a lighter rider and coil can be hit and miss with spring rate.

Bike Addiction
    Had a coil for about a year and hated the weight but after buying air and riding for a few months I believe I want another coil. The coil just seemed more consistant and felt plush without diving in the corners as much. I'm still a newb but thats the way I see it. I guess I was lucky to have gotten the right spring first time.
    Disclaimer: Always get a second opinion cause I'm just guessing

mtbr member
    May 2010
    Can you get better made/measured springs? I'm really tempted by the Van, Im after the best small bump sensitivity I can get. One problem could be no lockout for AM/trail riding but I could always put the original 32 Float back on sometimes.

Can you lower the Van to 150 from 160?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by ruds
    The Talas has a reputation for more stiction than the Float is that correct? I'm not sure if I'd go for the Talas because of the added stiction I've read about, all things being equal I'd love the ability to lower it but I really want the small bump sensitivity.
    I believe they have simplified the new Talas forks with less seals, mine is very, very smooth. Less stiction than my 2010 Fox Float 32 150, noticably.

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    Well, just a little update on the 36 RLC:
    I've got 2 rides in (dang rain!) about 40 miles of agressive trail riding, but I'm already extremely impressed with this fork. Very smooth, it has a "broken-in" feel right out of the box, and the damper is better than the older '06. It has a much more precise, "controlled" feel to it, while not being overly chattery in the "stuttery" type stuff - ie: braking bumps, long small/mid-size rock gardens at speed, etc.

Still don't really understand the need for a lock-out on a 6+ inch fork, and was at first concerned I may be giving up some performance for the weight, but it's been just the opposite, the chassis and damper have far exceeded my expectations