mtbr member
    Aug 2008

Fox 32 Float R - Clanks on return stroke

2010 Fox Float R @ 150mm travel - beginning of the season they had a nasty clank sound on the beginning of the return stroke. It's a metal-to-metal clanking sound and you can feel pretty violently in your hands.

I took them to the local shop for a normal service and that fixed the issue. 700 miles later, they started doing it again. Took them back in for the same oil & seal change thinking it would be once again fixed (it was service time anyway).

Rode yesterday and about half way through the first descent, they started clanking again.

Is this a common issue with these? I'll take them back to the shop, but wanted to get a heads-up first. I do not want to sink a bunch of money into these when I can buy a new take-off set on eBay for $400.

Paste eater
    Clank when it gets to the TOP of the return stroke? If that's the case, there is either somthing wrong with the damping system or not fluid.

Have to be honest, the last couple of years, Fox forks have been nothing but trouble for me. To be fair, I live in Moab, but my 36 Float FIT had to be serviced every couple of months wich was annoying for a number of reasons.

1) That's too much.
    2) The FIT cartridge service is expensive.
    3) It's hard to work on. I don't know how and many shops don't even do it.

After a year, my bushings started to show wear too. Worst. Fork. Ever. SOld it on eBay a few months ago and bought a Marz. Haven't done a thing since.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    No actually, it clanks the instant it begins the upward stroke. (and I'm in SLC, btw, so it gets plenty of abuse).

Quote Originally Posted by Jwind View Post
    Clank when it gets to the TOP of the return stroke? If that's the case, there is either somthing wrong with the damping system or not fluid.

Have to be honest, the last couple of years, Fox forks have been nothing but trouble for me. To be fair, I live in Moab, but my 36 Float FIT had to be serviced every couple of months wich was annoying for a number of reasons.

1) That's too much.
    2) The FIT cartridge service is expensive.
    3) It's hard to work on. I don't know how and many shops don't even do it.

After a year, my bushings started to show wear too. Worst. Fork. Ever. SOld it on eBay a few months ago and bought a Marz. Haven't done a thing since.