mtbr member

Fox 32 Float 29er oil and seal service

Trying to make sure I get the correct oil for this one as I am having a hard time figuring out what fork is mine on the Fox oil volume chart here:

Oil Volumes

It came with a bike and the description says "Fox FLOAT 32 RL 29 100mm, 15mm, Evolution Series". The closest I could find on the chart is line 53, but this came on a 2012 bike and not a 13, and I also don't see anything about evolution series.

Want to make sure I get the correct oil/volumes and I see some need just green 10wt and others need green and red. I have some 5wt and 15wt maxima moto oil from when I service my Reba, do any of these translate to the fox red/green.

Lastly, I know this may sound like basic stuff, but in the directions it has four locations for oils. Now I know the air chamber takes the pillow pack or 80wt gear oil, but when it says damper and air side oil bath, does the mean on the bottom of the fork and when it wants fox red oil in the damper it means in the top where the rebound and lockout parts are?

Sorry for all the questions, last time I serviced a fox the chart just asked for the Fox green oil. Any input would be much appreciated.

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by mrilo View Post
    Trying to make sure I get the correct oil for this one as I am having a hard time figuring out what fork is mine on the Fox oil volume chart here:

Oil Volumes

It came with a bike and the description says "Fox FLOAT 32 RL 29 100mm, 15mm, Evolution Series". The closest I could find on the chart is line 53, but this came on a 2012 bike and not a 13, and I also don't see anything about evolution series.

Want to make sure I get the correct oil/volumes and I see some need just green 10wt and others need green and red. I have some 5wt and 15wt maxima moto oil from when I service my Reba, do any of these translate to the fox red/green.

Lastly, I know this may sound like basic stuff, but in the directions it has four locations for oils. Now I know the air chamber takes the pillow pack or 80wt gear oil, but when it says damper and air side oil bath, does the mean on the bottom of the fork and when it wants fox red oil in the damper it means in the top where the rebound and lockout parts are?

Sorry for all the questions, last time I serviced a fox the chart just asked for the Fox green oil. Any input would be much appreciated.

If it's an RL, #17 looks better. I'm assuming it does not have the CTD....? What does it say on the right leg of the fork?

mtbr member
    It's an RL, not CTD. I'll have to look at the fork legs when I get home to see what they have written on them.

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    I have a 2012 "Fox Evolution Series 32 Float 29 RL" on my Superfly AL Elite. I called Fox and Tom told me to use line 17 "2010-2012 F29 100, 80 & ALPS
    (O/B RL & Remote dampers)". He says the F just stands for Float. The shocks has a sticker that says "OPEN BATH".

Anyway, those are the capacities I used and it works great.

FYI I used Finish line 10-weight fork oil in the damper side and the foam seals on both sides, Enduroforkseals.com seals and air piston lube on the top of the air spring, and 10w30 synthetic motor oil in the lower side of the air spring. I was told it sticks gto stuff and lubes better than fork oil.

It wasn't a difficult job. The only thing I had trouble with was getting the lockout control back on. Mine is different than shown on the Fox site. It clips on and off with a spring clip in that snaps in a groove on the shaft. Pry it off. When reinstalling, align the octagonal hole carefully with the shaft before hamering it down into position.

FLOAT RL

Also, be sure to grind down the skirt of the 26MM socket as advised on the Fox site. I Mine still slipped and I dinged the nut a bit. I doubt a normal socket would hold at all. It's kind of a screwey size. Auto Zone had one for $7.

Gotta say, the Enduro Fork Seals do what they claim. Really smooth.

At the recommendation of the Enduro site, I got some Finish Line Stantion Fluro Oil and am using that now.
    Last edited by DennisF; 02-08-2013 at 08:45 PM.