mtbr member
    May 2011

FOX 32 FLOAT 29 100 FIT RLC, movement and clunking.. WTF?

I bought a Trek SF 100 last fall, and maybe have 40hours on it. Recently I noticed what felt lke a loose headset ( its not). Further examination isolated the problem to be in the front fork. There's a top out clunking, and a small amount of back and forth play between the uppers and lowers.
    I can temporarily get rid of the clunking by letting all the air out, opening up the compressi on knob, and pushing the fork all the way down, but it des return while riding.

Suggestions? I'd be pretty disappointed in fox if this is anything more that a routine oil/seal change issue.

mtbr member
    Could be an issue with the fork bushings themselves. When you are letting all the air out and fully compressing them, it sounds like the bushings are being temporarily re-seated, and are then working themselves loose when you start riding.
    I'd email Fox and check with them, as further riding could mess up the for even more.

mtbr member
    Hate to say but it is probably the bushings. I have the same shox off my 2011 yeti, low miles, at fox now for 2nd time since Jan.. Report was bad bushings.
    2011 Yeti Big Top
    2012 Santa Cruz Tallboy
    1991 Cannondale m700

mtbr member
    May 2011
    I fear you guys may right. Do you think bad bushings on a 5 month old bike with low usage would be considered a warranty issue?

I haven't even mentioned the squishing sound coming from my fox rp23 on the rear...

mtbr member
    I'd say yes to a warranty claim, the bushings should last a bit longer than 5 months.
    My rear shock makes a squishing sound, I've never worried about it, just assumed it was the damping oil doing it's thing.

Eat me.
    Jun 2006
    Squishing sound in the rear might be due to low oil level. Mine started squishing - it was due for an air sleeve maintenance. Looked inside and saw just a thin coating of fox fluid on the insides. Cleaned her out, lubed all the O-rings and wiper, added a bit more than the 2 cc of fluid suggested, and the squishing stopped.

mtbr member
    May 2011
    I got this response from fox regarding the front fork-

"The clunking issue you explained would usually come from an over pressurized fork which sounds like it may be the case as you stated it seems like it goes away with lower pressure. The maximum pressure in this fork is 125psi, and it is recommended to set up your fork with 25% sag for proper set up and to avoid harsh top out. Also, it is recommended to replace dust wipers and bath oil every 40-50 riding hours, so it may be that the fork is low on bath oil. This would definitely make the lower legs feel like they had more play than usual.".

I've never overpressurized the fork. I usually run around 85-90psi. But I took the advice and did a lower removal/clean/oil bath change today. The old oil looked very clean, bushings looked tight and intact, and other that a hint of discoloration the sliders look perfect. I'm planning a ride tomorrow to see if that's all it took.

I also did the air can clean/service. So I guess tomorrow will either make me a happy fox customer or an irritated one.

mtbr member
    May 2011
    In conclusion:
    I called fox and the guy I spoke with told me there is some inherent play in their forks which is required to allow the oil to circulate. So I rode a few more times and attempted to tell myself I was crazy. Eventually I got sick of the slop and sent my fork off to Fox. I'd rather spend a few $ and be sure there was nothing wrong. Probably 50 hours on it max.

Fast forward 10 days and I get a call from a fox tech. He tells me they found wear on the sliders and shot bushings, an obvious sign of poor maintanance. He offered to replace the uppers at cost, and id also have to pay for the rebuild/bushings. I smell ******** and ask to speak to someone higher up.
    New guy listens to my story, tells me the same thing I've been hearing from fox, but I push the issue. This is a low use 2012 fork, there is no way that under normal use it should have these issues. At this point he wants to consult another tech and I'm put on hold.
    After 10 minutes he picks up and tells me that further testing has revealed loose sliders in the crown (hmmmmmm), they offer to replace uppers and service fork for free as long as I pay for new bushings($30). After further negotiation I also upgrade to uppers with kashima at their cost.

I'm satisfied with the final offer, but a little irritated at how much work it took to get them to take responsibility for warranty issues. If anyone else has the same symptoms don't be afraid to send it off, and don't just accept the first offer they give you.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by RetroKlein View Post
    In conclusion:
    I called fox and the guy I spoke with told me there is some inherent play in their forks which is required to allow the oil to circulate. So I rode a few more times and attempted to tell myself I was crazy. Eventually I got sick of the slop and sent my fork off to Fox. I'd rather spend a few $ and be sure there was nothing wrong. Probably 50 hours on it max.

Fast forward 10 days and I get a call from a fox tech. He tells me they found wear on the sliders and shot bushings, an obvious sign of poor maintanance. He offered to replace the uppers at cost, and id also have to pay for the rebuild/bushings. I smell ******** and ask to speak to someone higher up.
    New guy listens to my story, tells me the same thing I've been hearing from fox, but I push the issue. This is a low use 2012 fork, there is no way that under normal use it should have these issues. At this point he wants to consult another tech and I'm put on hold.
    After 10 minutes he picks up and tells me that further testing has revealed loose sliders in the crown (hmmmmmm), they offer to replace uppers and service fork for free as long as I pay for new bushings($30). After further negotiation I also upgrade to uppers with kashima at their cost.

I'm satisfied with the final offer, but a little irritated at how much work it took to get them to take responsibility for warranty issues. If anyone else has the same symptoms don't be afraid to send it off, and don't just accept the first offer they give you.
    Glad u got it resolved. Takes a ton of time and lots of irritation to get what u need from them.
    2011 Yeti Big Top
    2012 Santa Cruz Tallboy
    1991 Cannondale m700