mtbr member

Fox 32 F120R Travel Question

I have seen a lot of threads about forks not getting full travel and how to fix it, but I'm not sure what the problem is with mine and was wondering if anyone had an idea for me.

This is the fork that came stock on the my '08 Trance X. I had it rebuilt last year and since then it has not been getting full travel. I did a check with a zip tie yesterday and it looked like it was getting around 67mm of travel (instead of 120). I let all of the air out of the fork and it was able to compress the whole way (so that means the oil levels are correct?).

I weigh 130lbs and have 50psi in the fork, so that shouldn't be the problem (and I have had other people who weigh more try to compress the fork and everyone gets the same amount of travel).

Any suggestions of what to check next?

mtbr member
    Another wierd thing that I noticed when I checked the travel after the first time I let the air out and refilled is that the fork had negative travel. The next time I refilled it I had to physically hold the fork at full extension so that the stanchions were fully exposed. I don't know if that means anything but I thought it might be worth mentioning,

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    This is what you need:
    Fox air forks - Modifying volume to get full travel?

I've done it myself and it works well.

The weird thing you noticed is just the coil negative spring at work. It's perfectly normal, and helps the fork move more freely at the beginning of its stroke.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by bad mechanic View Post
    This is what you need:
    Fox air forks - Modifying volume to get full travel?

I've done it myself and it works well.

The weird thing you noticed is just the coil negative spring at work. It's perfectly normal, and helps the fork move more freely at the beginning of its stroke.
    Thanks for the link, I did read that thread but I am hesitant to cut things when the fork got more travel before it was rebuilt. The person who posted that thread was still getting 100mm of travel and their problem sounds like it was from the start. He also only got 10mm of travel from the modification, I need 33mm just to get to where he started, I think there is something more going on with my fork.

Also, the "negative spring" was making it so that only 100mm of stanchion was exposed, so I was confused about how I could get 120mm of travel if only 100mm was exposed.

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Just check to make sure there isn't more than 5cc of oil in the air chamber.

Aside from that, the problem is the older Fox Float and F-series fork are pretty progressive, and most people end up not using all the travel. The solution to that is the air shaft mod. Assuming your air chamber isn't overfilled, the solution to your issue is cutting down the air shaft.