mtbr member
    Dec 2012

Fox 32 ctd 29 float 100mm

hi guys im having trouble with with excessive travel when set on climb mode i have set and adjusted sag accoring to fox website, this was really not adequate so i am currently running 110 psi just to try and compensate for the travel on forks whilst standing but they still feel far too soft for what really should be a firm setting.
    i have had the bike for about a month now and thought i would get used to it but i am struggling.
    would anybody have any advice on firming the forks or even if it is possible to add a lockout??

thanks

sam

p.s the bike is a cube ltd sl 29

mtbr member
    Sam,
    I'm having the same dilemma with my 32 Float 29 (100 FIT CTD w/remote). Even with much higher psi than recommended the travel in Climb mode is unacceptable in my opinion. I spoke with Fox CS this morning and although they confirmed there is no longer a true lockout, it should have a much firmer in C. Unfortunately, thatís open to interpretation and since I spend most of my time on a full rigid SS, Iím hypersensitive.

When standing, I will get 1- 1.5Ē of travel in Climb mode.

Iím looking for ideas as well.

mtbr member
    Dec 2012
    thanks for the input tanin at least its not just me,i have about 1.5-2.0" travel, what psi have you got set?

mtbr member
    Put 100psi in the fork before last nights ride. Climb setting was "firmer" but still 1.5" of bob. Unfortunately, I only got max 3" of travel even in D so that's not a solution

I'm 190 with gear. Bike is a steel hard tail 1x10.

Thinking of adding some more oil and see if it helps.

mtbr member
    Dec 2012
    i was thinking it could be an oil issue too i have to book it in for its first service in a few weeks so i may have a moan and get them to have a look.
    if oil helps please let me know i really need a soloution for this asap its driving me mad!!

sam

MTBR Member
    My Float FIT CTD also get's about an inch of travel in climb mode, but it is a 150mm travel version. I don't mind it and feel that it works quite well on extended seated climbs on the trail. It's definitely not the greatest for hammering fire roads.

The issue could be related to oil volume. With the fit damper, you might want to just follow the bleeding and topping off procedures described in the Fox fit service instructions. Pretty straight forward and you don't need to fully disassemble the damper.

mtbr member
    Dec 2012
    thanks for the imput im going to definatley try the oil volume and see where that leaves me.

sam

mtbr member
    Sam,
    Based on what you described earlier we have the same problem with our fork and I can now confirm they aren't working properly.
    I've got the 32 FLOAT 29 100 FIT CTD Remote on my bike. When I ordered my fork Fox originally sent the wrong one (non-Remote). At my LBS yesterday, I had the chance yesterday to play with the original fork and could immediately feel the difference with Climb mode. I swapped out with the non-remote fork and did a ride last night. Felt perfect!!!! True, there isn't a full lockout but the fork doesn't feel like a pogo stick with you stand and climb and moves less than 1" in C (and that was with 92 psi). The guys at my shop are sending my fork back to Fox and giving me the non-remote as a loaner.

I was so disappointed and frustrated with my fork I wasn't riding that bike and was ready to pull it off and sell it.

You are not crazy! Sent it back to Fox.

mtbr member
    Dec 2012
    Hi tanin,
    I am really pleased with mojos response the upgrade was an added bonus after trying the new forks out I can definitely tell a difference however on climb I am still somewhat disappointed withe the amount of travel for a supposedly FIRM setting but I think it is something I will get used to over time.
    The main thing is my new bike is finally functioning as it should.
    I hope your issues are resolved and maybe you will get an upgrade too.

Sam

mtbr member
    Sam,
    What upgrade are you talking about?

mtbr member
    Dec 2012
    I got upgraded from basic forks to the FACTORY ones with the extra setting adjustmenton trail mode.

mtbr member
    Guys, you know there have been some issues with the CTD forks - damper failure causing too much travel in climb mode. Take a look at this thread 2013 Fox F29 120mm CTD Evolution Series CTD damper issue and although it seems to be mainly the O/C damper that's affected, seems some are having similar issues with the FIT.
    Last edited by PerthMTB; 01-11-2013 at 11:35 PM.

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    Had this issue on 2 Talas 29er forks, not "locking out" in climb.

Took them both back to Fox, damper was at fault, they worked their magic and now both are perfect.

Send it to the agent if you have an issue, fiddling with it won't sort your problem.

I should be studying...
    Yep same here, I am on my 3rd 2013 Evolution 100mm 29er fork, same problem...
    Formerly known as iceaxe