mtbr member
    Aug 2010

Which Fork to use? Fox Factory 150 or RS Revelation RLT Ti?

Hey all,

I have a new 2012 Spec. Expert Evo coming in about a week and I cant wait! I'm beyond pleased with the parts spec on the bike, but I am somewhat skeptical on the fork. Specialized lists it as a Fox Factory 150, but it appears to me as their performance series fork Float RL. I've actually never owned a bike yet with a Fox fork (only been at this for a few years) but I know many of you on this forum love Fox.

I have a RS Sektor RL that I completely gutted and installed the Black Box MoCo, Black Box rebound damper, and dual air spring (not the travel adjust spring that many have had difficulties with). Basically, I turned my fork into a Revelation RLT Ti. I've enjoyed this fork with all the upgraded parts for a year now and absolutely love it. Comparing it to its old RL status is night and day. I can actually feel a difference among a few clicks of the compression and rebound adjustments (but not all of them, I'm probably just an averaged skilled rider), and I definitely can feel the difference when I set up my floodgate valve. Again, when comparing my fork to its original status as a Sektor RL, it is completely different, but much better.

I am torn right now as to what I should do. I can't discredit Fox as I haven't even ridden the fork yet, but the first thing that came to my mind was that it would feel like my old Sektor RL without the floodgate. Running the LS compression damper too stiff would be great in turns and removing pedal bob, but it wouldn't feel too great in rocky-technical areas and would spike badly when I would do jumps and drops and vice versa if I ran the LS compression too light. I could never find a sweet spot. That got me thinking that I could just do the same updates to the Fox fork like I did to the Rockshox, but I see on Fox's website their RLC damper is $240. I've already dropped a ton on the new bike and don't feel like spending bike money for awhile. Oh, and btw, my RS fork is a 1 1/8" steerer tube so I'd have to get the small adapter to fit my bike. I wouldn't think that'd make much difference, but I'm curious, do people feel a lot of flex in this area by adapting the smaller steerer tubes to tapered head tubes?

Just curious what the more experienced riders who've ridden both the Fox and Rockshox forks think. As it appears to me, I'm asking if a high end RS fork would feel better than a mid-level Fox fork.

mtbr member
    Seeing you are willing to dive in to the inner working of you forks, I think you will be impressed with the internals of the Fox. The "lower end" of Fox just means less nobs, and less gizmo's to turn off. The reason they cost more than many of the Rockshox is obvious once they are open, they looks nicer on the inside than many forks look on the outside. The damper in the fox is a completely normal off the shelf motocross design. Every thing is accessible and can be disassembled. Infinity tunable internals even if it doesn't have all the external nobs. You can change both the compression and rebound shim stacks and change your oil weights all you want. Also there are full documents available on Fox's website.

Why not ride both and see which you like better after a few weeks?

mtbr member
    I just swapped the Float RL that came on my Stumpy for a Revelation RLT Ti and I couldn't be happier. The small bump compliance on the RS blows away that of the Fox, and it just feels smoother and quieter overall. I dont know how the Float RLC compares, but my high end RS definitely rides better than my mid level fox did.

mtbr member
    Dec 2009
    Much different to my experience. RS Rev is all mid stroke. Not a bad fork jsut not quite as good at small bump comliance or big hits as the Fox. happy to strike a happy medium in air pressure.

Never use compresion lever on any of my forks. you find adding a couple of psi air does very similar and amy not spike as much.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    i am currently debating between the 150 float rlc fit and the rlt ti 150 myself. they both seem to have good reps but i wonder myself which to get for my 09 marin wolf ridge.

mtbr member
    Took me a little while to dial in my Fox to get the small bump compliance right. I seemed to need to run about 10% lower pressure than Fox suggested as well as get in a fair number of miles before things broke in. Now that they are I agree with gvs_nz, great small bump compliance and it will take a badly landed 3 foot drop and make you look good.

Also unless Specialized had custom stripped down forks built, the Float 150 only comes in the Factory spec for 2012 according to the Fox website.

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    All good points, and I think axelbaker is right, I just need to ride both. I'll have to pick up an adapter for the RS, but that really isn't a problem.

Axelbaker, you are right, I do like to learn and delve into the forks (basically, I enjoy learning and working on the bikes as much as riding them). First thing I did was start looking at Fox videos and instructions on how to rebuild their forks. You are right, the internals certainly look a bit more complicated and polished when compared to the Rockshox. The difference to me though is the shim stack tuning. I've read multiple articles on tuning this way, but in reality it's a bit more complicated than twisting a knob on the fork. Not that it doesn't interest me, but I'm no where near a suspension expert and I have a feeling I'd probably end up doing more harm than good. Also, I like twisting a knob on the fork, ride a certain area of trail, go back, try a different setting, then re-ride. Can't really do that if I'm messing with shims. It certainly would be a lot larger time investment. I am looking forward to seeing how the Fox air spring feels. I know they have a better negative spring than RS does when compared to the solo air forks. Of course the dual air spring on RS helps with tuning so you can get that small bump compliance. I'll try though like you said for the Fox and drop the air pressure a bit to get more small bump compliance. I am though curious about going back to a fork without a floodgate (blow off valve). That has really come in handy on my RLT Ti. I'm a bigger rider and thus cause a bit more pressure on the fork when I hit something. It was nice to have that blow off valve to relieve the pressure. Maybe the Fox will just work because of their valving and I won't see spikes? I guess I'll see here in about a week... well, maybe longer because a new bike always means rain and ruined trails.

Oh, it is already confirmed about the spec of the fork. It is not a part of the factory series. It doesn't have the kashima coat nor the RLC blow off valve.

Lastly, I found it interesting watching the video on the Carbon stumpy evo. It shows Brad Benedict riding the bike with a RS Revelation. At first I figured he was just running it because RS is probably a sponsor of his, but then I noticed that his bike also had the new kashima coated RP23 on the rear.

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Having working on both RS and Fox forks extensively, Fox forks are just nice to work on. Everything inside them is machined aluminum; they're pretty in there. They can also be more complex than RS forks, but if you're comfortable working on suspension, you won't have a problem. However, Fox forks are known to come from the factor low on oil, so I'd recommend servicing right out of the box.

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    Hey bad mechanic, thanks for chiming in. I've read many of your previous posts here on the forum and picked up a lot of useful knowledge on how the suspension systems work. The more work I can do on my bike at home instead of the shop, the more money I save and the less time I'm without my bike. I got myself to the point of not needing to ever send in my RS fork having disassembled/reassembled everything on the fork with exception to the bushings, but I haven't ridden a fork long enough to wear those out.

I am looking forward to opening up the Fox fork to start learning all the inner parts and I found Fox's help site with the step by step instructions for the FiT damper... although it looks like it could use an update since they are working on 2006-2007 forks from what I can gather.

What is your take on the RLC lockout force adjustment? Is is a worthwhile investment? Like I said, I could notice immediately the difference between the standard MoCo w/o floodgate compared to the Black Box MoCo w/ floodgate on the RS. Is it just as noticable on the Fox? I also noticed there are no online shops that sell Fox fork parts. Looks like I'd have to go to my shop to order it, and thus, pay the full price of $250. BTW, not that I'm against the LBS. I still give them 65-75% of my business, but small parts and upgrades such as these where I know I'll be doing the work myself I usually prefer finding a good deal online to cut back on some of the expense of these bikes.

mtbr member
    Jan 2011
    I have a fox 150 talas and a revelation RLT Ti 150. The fox has had problems from day one; fox has warrantied it 3 times but, they can't seem to fix it. I bought the RLT Ti direct from PUSH. They are currently warrantying it. I'm not happy with either! For what it's worth the RLT Ti is way smoother when it is working properly. Almost everyone seems to be happy with FOX; maybe I just got a lemon? It would be nice if they would stand behind their product...

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Laterilus View Post
    What is your take on the RLC lockout force adjustment? Is is a worthwhile investment? Like I said, I could notice immediately the difference between the standard MoCo w/o floodgate compared to the Black Box MoCo w/ floodgate on the RS. Is it just as noticable on the Fox? I also noticed there are no online shops that sell Fox fork parts.
    Yes, I like the lockout blowoff adjustment, since it makes the lockout actually useful to me. The RS MoCo Floodgate works very differently than the Fox threshold adjustment. Fox's threshold adjustment is JUST a threshold adjustment, while RS's Floodgate controls the crossover point between LSC and HSC. Since the LSC circuit is completely closed when the fork is locked out, it then works as the blowoff.

Fox is happy to sell directly to the end user. I've bought from them plenty of times, and provided you're not an idiot or a ******, they're great to deal with. Just call 800-fox-shox.

Quote Originally Posted by uncle mama View Post
    I have a fox 150 talas and a revelation RLT Ti 150. The fox has had problems from day one; fox has warrantied it 3 times but, they can't seem to fix it. I bought the RLT Ti direct from PUSH. They are currently warrantying it. I'm not happy with either! For what it's worth the RLT Ti is way smoother when it is working properly. Almost everyone seems to be happy with FOX; maybe I just got a lemon? It would be nice if they would stand behind their product...
    In my opinion, the Talas is too complicated, which is where the problems stem from. Unless you absoutely need on-the-fly travel adjustment, it's much better to just buy the Float. In your case, you should strongly considering converting your Talas to a Float. It'll be lighter, plusher, and easier to maintain. There are a couple threads on here of people converting from Talas to Float, and they all loved it.